Download Festival 2010

New Damage

I like 'em and they played an awesome show on Saturday night in Sheffield. Though I can easily see how people can not like them, they're certainly not for everyone.

I'm not too well up on a lot of bands off that announcement, but since as they said days ago it was an announcement for bands of all genres across all stages (and thus varying popularity), then I'm struggling to see where a lot of the apathy towards the announcement is coming from. With the cross popularity/genre scope most people were only expected to be into 2/3 bands from the 22, and that's filled a lot of lower second stage slots, with plenty of room for some smaller announcements to fill out the main stage.

• Like 1

Download should change its name to the Retrograde Festival. Has no one formed a rock band in the past ten years or so? Christ...

Coheed and Cambria - 1995 (As Shabutie, though closer to 2000/2001 as we know them now)

Airbourne - 2003

HIM - 1991

Dillinger Escape Plan - 1997

Cinderella - 1983

Steel Panther - 2000

We Are The Fallen - 2009

36 Crazyfists - 1994

A Day To Remember - 2003

Whitechapel - 2006

Hell Yeah - 2006

The Blackout - 2003

Dommin - 2000

Taking Dawn - 2006

Job For A Cowboy - 2003

Saxon - 1976

RATT - 1976

Unearth - 1998

Lawnmower Deth - 1987

Rise To Remain - ??

August Burns Red - 2003

Y&T - 1974

At least half of the bands in the latest announcement were formed since 2000. I can't see why people complain that much about the 'retro' feel that Download (supposedly) has. Truth be told, there aren't that many good rock and metal bands that are good/popular/big enough to fill out the main stage/upper second stage. Sure, some get chosen (see: The Zico Chain and Black Tide in previous years for main stagers), but from about halfway up the bill on the main stage people expect fairly big, recognisable names. And the second stage is full of bands from the past 15 years, so what's the complain about?

EDIT: On a lighter note, of those of you guys that are going, who are you likely to see thus far? I think I'll be doing: Lawnmower Deth, 36 Crazyfists, Wolfmother, Coheed and AC/DC on Friday; Y&T, We Are The Fallen, Volbeat, Megadeth, HIM & RATM on Saturday; RATT, Saxon, Cinderella, Billy Idol, Motorhead, Steel Panther, Airbourne and Aerosmith on Sunday - barring no clashes of course :)

Edited by DFF/WFS

So far I'm definitely gonna see AC/DC on the Friday, will probably get dragged to Bullet too if there's nobody else decent on, everyone I'm going with likes them, on Saturday Rage, Megadeth, We Are The Fallen and Hell Yeah, and on Sunday Motorhead, Billy Idol, Saxon, Ratt, Airbourne and Steel Panther.

• 2 weeks later...

30 more bands added tonight:

• Slash

• The Used

• The Damned Things

• Atreyu

• Cancer Bats

• BREED77

• Sweethead

• Porcupine Tree

• No Americana

• Senser

• Halestorm

• Nonpoint

• As I Lay Dying

• Flyleaf

• White Wizzard

• Zebrahead

• Rock Sugar

• Michael Monroe

• Holy Grail

• Straight Lines

• Tiger Please

• Revoker

• Young Guns

• Tyketto

• Year Long Disaster

• Die Apokalyptischen Reiter

• Enuff Z’Nuff

• Panic Cell

• Glamour Of The Kill

• Sybreed

I quite like the selection of bands. I really wanna see Porcupine Tree if there aren't any bad clashes. Slash is cool, and White Wizzard are pretty sweet from what I've heard of them. Michael Monroe would be cool but he's headlining third opposite Rage - though I can at least see Y&T now as they are subbing third :)

• 2 weeks later...

Added tonight:

SUICIDAL TENDENCIES

GENITORTURERS

KILLING FOR COMPANY

GODSIZED

MAX RAPTOR

THE MORNING AFTER

BEN POOLE

FUNERAL PARTY

IMICUS

THE HUMOUR

THE DEAD LAY WAITING

T-34

ESOTERICA

SKIN

RECKLESS LOVE

Some not bad stuff there. They've also rearranged some of the bands. Suicidal Tendancies are headlining 3rd on the Sunday, Breed 77 (previously announced) are now 4th stage headliners on the Saturday. Skin are sub-headlining 3rd on Saturday.

Here's the line-up as it stands then:

Friday

Main Stage

AC/DC

Them Crooked Vultures

Wolfmother

2nd Stage

Bullet For My Valentine

Coheed & Cambria

A Day To Remember

36 Crazyfists

Unearth

3rd Stage

Job For A Cowboy

As I Lay Dying

Tyketto

Lawnmower Deth

Sweethead

Year Long Disaster

4th Stage

Funeral Party

Imicus

The Humour

Saturday

Main Stage

Rage Against The Machine

Deftones

Megadeth

Lamb of God

Five Finger Death Punch

Flyleaf

Hell Yeah

Taking Dawn

2nd Stage

30 Seconds to Mars

HIM

The Blackout

Atreyu

Volbeat

We Are The Fallen

Cancer Bats

Rock Sugar

Rise To Remain

3rd Stage

Michael Monroe

Skin

Y&T

Senser

Enuff Z'Nuff

Halestorm

Genitortures

Reckless Love

Sybreed

Holy Grail

Killing For Company

Godsized

4th Stage

Breed 77

Glamour of the Kill

The Dead Lay Waiting

Revoker

Sunday

Main Stage

Aerosmith

Stone Temple Pilots

Motorhead

Billy Idol

Slash

Cinderella

Saxon

Ratt

Dommin

2nd Stage

Stone Sour

Airbourne

Steel Panther

Porcupine Tree

The Used

Dillinger Escape Plan

The Damned Things

August Burns Red

Nonpoint

White Wizzard

3rd Stage

Suicidal Tendancies

Zebrahead

Young Guns

Die Apokalyptischen Rieter

Whitechapel

Max Raptor

The Morning After

No Americana

Ben Poole

4th Stage

Panic Cell

T-34

Esoterica

Straight Lines

Tiger Please

For me, Sunday is looking the best day at the moment, with a combination of Main and second stage. I'm hoping to do something like: White Wizzard > Ratt > Saxon > Cinderella > Slash > Billy Idol > Motorhead/Porcupine Tree > Steel Panther > Airbourne > Aerosmith.

Napalm Death and Rolo Tomassi are playing. Both of these bands are better than 90% of the line-up so far. And by "90%" I mean "everyone but Motorhead".

Not a massive fan of the latest bands announced, though I've heard a few Sonic Syndicate tracks and they aren't bad and 3 Inches of Blood have a few cool track too.

Napalm Death and Rolo Tomassi are playing. Both of these bands are better than 90% of the line-up so far. And by "90%" I mean "everyone but Motorhead".

Finally a festival where Napalm Death won't seem conspicious due to their age and not having any of their original members!