Super Bowl XLIV

Meacon Keaton

Peyton Manning comes off as a douchebag? What the fuck are you smoking?

Reality cigarettes.

Manning always looks like he's pouting on the sidelines when his team loses. He throws his teammates under the bus, he yells at his O-Line as soon as he gets hit, he definitely comes off as a douche at times.

I think Manning's a great QB, best in the NFL during the regular season. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think people might see Peyton as a douche.

• Like 3

GAAAAAAAMMMMEEEE OOOOOVVVVVEEERRRRRR ! ! ! ! ! !! !! ! !! !

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH Peyton ... EAT IT

^ This. Peyton Manning always comes off as such a douchebag to me.

Did anyone else see Him just head toward the locker room? didnt even come to the center of the field and COngratulate the Saints....

Yeah, I noticed that, what a prick. I like that Slogger's opinions are entirely formed from bad, outdated sports cliches. By the way, it's a game of two halves and at the end of the day defense wins championships.

Not to talk anything away from Manning as a QB (and i think tonight it was the receiving corps letting him down more than him throwing the game away, pick-6 aside), but the way he carries himself on the sidelines when things aren't going his way and the shameless ads and whoring out he does jut make it impossible for me to like him.

Regardless, I think that's the third really good SB in a row, we're being spoiled.

• Like 2

You say outdated, I say classic. To continue the trend I'll say that on Any given Sunday, Any team can win.

I'd rather had seen the Colts win but I'm happy for New Orleans, It's not like it was Pittsburgh or New England out there.

I will agree that Manning looked not like himself in that second half, That onside kick recover really sucked the momentum out of him.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That was a nice game...not as high-scoring as most were expecting (well, not until the end), but back-and-forth, you got the feeling Indianapolis was the better team but just wasn't able to get it done on this particular day, and the turning point was a third-quarter onside kick - how often do you get to say that?

The Who were shit though, Daltrey's voice has devolved terribly since even Live 8.

Regardless, I think that's the third really good SB in a row, we're being spoiled.

Or at least Be was.

• Like 4

Nice to see Peyton add another highlight to his playoff sucking reel. Maybe people can stop ignoring the fact he's not a great playoff QB and has only came from behind once to ever win a playoff game. The pick he threw was awful and pretty much ended the game. I mean there were a few drops by his receivers, but his pick is why they lost and what ended the game. I didn't see him walk off after the game without shaking hands but if he did that's not very sportsmanlike. Actually kind of surprising for him. I think Manning is a sure Hall Of Famer and will probably break tons of records but he's still a choker and this pretty much shows what he does in the post-season.

Good game though. Brees showed why he's one of the best QB's in the NFL and the Saints used pretty much all the guys on their offense like they did every year. The way they played was what got them to the game from long and diverse drives to timely turnovers on defense. Great job by their staff for being so prepared and putting together such a great team.

• Like 1

I'll spare you people the Ben Roethlisberger is better than Peyton Manning argument because I don't want to become the cliche many of you already think I am and instead I'll just take the time to talk about Drew Brees.

He is the best QB in the NFL right now. No doubt about it. Brees is on a different level than Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, etc. He is just outstanding.

I used to knock the guy because as far as I was concerned he was unproven in the playoffs but the guy was unflappable in the biggest game of his life.

What a performance.

Edited by Evil Chase K
  • Like 1

Thank you for sparing us from that argument, Chase, because then I'd have to get involved on the opposing side.

I was pulling for the Colts, because:

1. I'm a Peyton Manning fan. That's the ONLY reason I give a damn about the Colts.

2. Gregg Williams' comments about going after Peyton ticked me off. I don't think anyone should hint or blatantly say that they're going to try and hurt an opposing QB.....even if its Tom Brady, who I can't stand.

3. The way the Saints beat the Vikings. The Vikings and refs handed the Saints that game, with all the turnovers and blown calls. (That call the NFL called the refs on wasn't the only bad call; that catch that Brad Childress challenged that the refs didn't overturn was NOT a catch)

4. Jim Caldwell is a rookie head coach.

5. (Playing Jeopardy here) Who Dat. Answer: "What is a stupid phrase probably thought up by someone mentally retarded, Alex!"

Though if the Saints had been facing any AFC team except the Titans or one led by Peyton Manning AND Williams had kept his mouth shut, I'd probably have been for the Saints.

I can live with the Saints win as long as I don't have to hear "Who Dat" much, since the team had never even been to the Super Bowl before and there are 3 former Vols on the team.

Don't think the Saints will repeat as NFC champs next season, though. The Colts *might* repeat as AFC champs, but I wouldn't count out the Chargers, or the Jets if their defense is as good or better next season.

And I think I'm through watching football with my father. We were both for the Colts, but I had to put up with him making excuses left and right, which he does all the time - college or pro - when the team he's for is losing. (ie, accusing the Saints of pass interference when there wasn't any, saying they had an illegal block in the back on the play where Peyton through the interception. The only penalty the entire game I had a problem with was the false start on the Colts, because it looked to me - and to the announcers, too, apparently - that it should have been an offsides on the Saints)

• Like 2

Re: the whole leaving the field without shaking hands issue...um, kids, it's the Super Bowl, and half the fucking free world gets on the field.

Take your normal number of reporters, photographers, cameramen, etc. and multiply that by 25. To say nothing of the work crews trying to hustle pieces and parts out there for the stage for the trophy presentation. Would you want to trudge through all of that just to have random Internet fuckwads claim you were ordered out there for some fabricated photo op anyway?

If Peyton had stuck around to shake some hands, you'd all be shitting on his head for not "getting the fuck out and letting Brees have his moment" or "trying to steal the spotlight" or some other bullshit.

Nothing but love for the Saints, and I'm pleased as hell to see Brees getting some love (BTW, Purdue joins Alabama as the only schools to produce three Super Bowl-winning QB's), but the Colts had bigger problems than Manning in this game. Much more venom at Wayne, Collie, and Garcon for some fugly drops.

• Like 2

I'm delighted for the Saints, they really deserved it. I made quite a bit of money on them too, so it's all good. Winning Bets were

Saints to Win

Colts/Saints Double Result

Total Points under 56.5

Total Points - Even

First turnover - Interception (Thank you Peyton :wub:)

Quarter with most points - 3rd

All small bets, but I think I'm coming out with €40 on €15 worth of bets. Not bad.

5. (Playing Jeopardy here) Who Dat. Answer: "What is a stupid phrase probably thought up by someone mentally retarded, Alex!"

According to Jericho and JR's twitter, Who Dat was thought up by The Junkyard Dog

• Like 1

According to Jericho and JR's twitter, Who Dat was thought up by The Junkyard Dog

And according to another message board and 2 or 3 different sites, that's wrong. JYD just popularized it. But its still damned stupid, all the same.

Having been saddled with them since a family friend bought me a baseball cap with a Saints logo on it, gotta say that yesterday night was brilliant. Really didn't expect them to win, just thought the experience of the Colts would shine through. And with the 0-10 start, really up against it. But Brees had an awesome game once he got going, and same ballsy play calling also has to be lauded.

shockeyshocked.gif

My, how times have changed for Shockey.

GoGo, remind me what game that's from. I've forgot.

Happy the Saints won, not because I hate the Colts or Peyton (seriously, don't hate the player, hate the game shifty.gif ) but because of how the story unfolded. I think it was better cause it was a party in the student center last night and it was truly 50/50 for who people were cheering for, and the whole 2nd half made it worth it. Hopefully this means the Lions can start to turn it around shifty.gif

• Like 1

Nice to see Peyton add another highlight to his playoff sucking reel. Maybe people can stop ignoring the fact he's not a great playoff QB and has only came from behind once to ever win a playoff game. The pick he threw was awful and pretty much ended the game. I mean there were a few drops by his receivers, but his pick is why they lost and what ended the game. I didn't see him walk off after the game without shaking hands but if he did that's not very sportsmanlike. Actually kind of surprising for him. I think Manning is a sure Hall Of Famer and will probably break tons of records but he's still a choker and this pretty much shows what he does in the post-season.

Good game though. Brees showed why he's one of the best QB's in the NFL and the Saints used pretty much all the guys on their offense like they did every year. The way they played was what got them to the game from long and diverse drives to timely turnovers on defense. Great job by their staff for being so prepared and putting together such a great team.

Eh, I thought it was less an awful throw and more jsut a great play by Porter, jumping the route like that.

2. Gregg Williams' comments about going after Peyton ticked me off. I don't think anyone should hint or blatantly say that they're going to try and hurt an opposing QB.....even if its Tom Brady, who I can't stand.

Where did he say they actually wanted to hurt him? I got that the intentionw as to blitz the shit out of him and not give him time to throw.