UFC News and Discussion Thread

Of course Faber should, that would only be like his 43rd title shot.

Money Mendes I'd be okay with, though. As long as Korean Zombie is given another fight to show off his mad ass skills then go murder whoever the champ is.

Didn't realize Frankie Edgar was the champ. :shifty:

I'm all for Edgar vs Zombie though.

Apparently Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva (at 195) is rumoured for the short-notice UFC 153 main-event. Edgar or Teixeira would probably be off the card then.

I kinda like Sonnen taking a catchweight fight before going to light-heavyweight. And for such a short-notice fight, I guess this is one of the better main events they could come up with.

Edited by bolleje
  • Like 1

According to USA Today, Stephan Bonnar will face Anderson 'The Spider' Silva at 205 lbs in the main event of UFC 153. Instead of facing Rampage, Glover Teixeira will fight Fábio Maldonado in the co-main event. And as previously mentioned, Rodrigo [Minotauro] Nogueira will square off against Dave Herman.

Why? If worse comes to worse it'll be an amazing destruction by Silva, which is the most likely, I must say, and at best it'll be an awesome fight.

Plus, Bonnar has only been stopped once or twice, and the Krystof fight was by doctor stoppage, so he has a hell of a chin.

Pointless? Yes. Stupid? Maybe. But so would Chael versus Anderson again. Might as well move Sonnen on to something else and throw someone that has nothing to do with the title scene to Silva.

It's Silva and it's in Brazil and when he wins it'll be an awesome scene.

Because UFC contracts are based on appearances unless I am mistaken. So they are wasting one of Silva's fights on a drug taking can who is going to get beaten worse than Forrest did. The fight does absolutely nothing for either of them. Bonnar was talking retirement, so even if he wins (which is a gazillion to one) he's only got a few more fights in him and given all his previous losses in the UFC it would be near impossible to capitalise on. Anderson gets nothing at all from the fight. He crushes a can which is to be expected. This is like Rock getting injured in the build up to his match with Cena so instead you book Yoshi Tatsu to fight CM Punk.

I think Bonnar v Silva could be fun. I would just love it if somehow Bonnar was able to win.

Just like Rocky. Silva's team doesn't take the fight seriously, while Bonnar uses old school methods and trains as if his life depended on him winning the fight. Then, both go back and forth for 5 rounds throwing haymaker after haymaker while all of Philadelphia cheers Bonnar on!

Edited by Toe

I reckon it'll be an entertaining fight, and you bring up Anderson vs Chael at 205, yet you don't want to see Anderson taking up a drug taking can, bit contradictive there.

Sonnen got a title shot after being caught doing drugs and a 2 win fight streak, Bonnar is on a 3 fight winning streak, I'd put my money on Bonnar taking Silva the distance, losing 30-27/50-45, but going the distance.