UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah, there's a lot of rumours flying around that something's up with Overeem and Mir will be thrown in his spot. We should know either way by tomorrow as Overeem has a licensing hearing with the NSAC.

There might not be a Brock fight? We were going to order that

During the post-fight press conferences, Frank Mir said if Overeem is not going to be fighting Brock, he'd step in. He said he wasn't too badly hurt and he would take the fight on a quick turnaround.

I don't know. Mir has a reputation as a bone snapper. I don't like it. I especially don't like that he's proud about it. At the same time if you refuse to tap out of pride you likely deserve to have something snapped off. I just watched it on slow motion as my original feeling was that Mir cranked it quite soon/as soon as he got it locked in to a position where a fighter would generally tap and then held on well after the tap, but he didn't and it was Nog refusing to tap that led to the snap (which as a black belt he had to know what was coming).

I agree that it's not great PR for the sport. The issue is though that the only people who can stop it happening are the fighters. A ref isn't going to step in and stop a submission (especially if they have ever watched Hughes fight with Royce Gracie where his arm is hyper extending like mad and yet he can still fight or a Ben Henderson fight). I also struggle to blame the fighter in control of the submission. I'm not a fan of fighters who go straight from nothing to bone snap when it can be controlled. But if they lock it in, get it to a point of agony and where their opponent knows it's either tap or have a broken bone and they refuse to tap then they really aren't doing themselves or the sport any favours.

MMA is in a weird place right now. If they sold it as a horrible and devastating injury and so grotesque and something that needs to be remedied it would make the sport seem barbaric (as they can't to anything to stop it happening). At the same time they come across as heartless for making a joke about it. In all honesty though I *think* Rogan's initial thought was the same as mine and Nog's shoulder had just popped out which could have been fuck all or major, but I certainly wasn't thinking a major bone break.

It's a problem that can't be fixed whilst people buy into the warrior manly man bullshit. At the end of the day what needs to be preached is safety first. Frankly people giving interviews stating that they hope their legacy in the long run is as a guy who injures people or fighters stating that they would rather die than tap out is a bigger issue than ill-timed jokes on Twitter about rape. To me tapping is part of intelligently defending yourself. If you aren't willing to do it, then you shouldn't be allowed to fight.

I agree with Erik Paulson that Mir snapping Nog's arm and not checking on him and Jones choking out Machida and just dumping him were both quite disgraceful. I'm not a fan of hugging during a fight and can even live without the touching of gloves to start a round. But there is no need to let a man who you have just choked unconscious drop to the floor like a heap of discarded rubbish or to snap a man's arm and just ignore him and walk off. Especially when neither seemed to be overly-hyped after the fight. I can live with it when the fighter does something like that and is then running around like an animal that has just been released from its cage. But I don't want it to be the normal or accepted way for a fighter to treat his opponent without being able to blame adrenaline.

• Like 1

There was a picture of Nog after the fight in a sling and I guess a cast, didn't check, but he had a big smile on his face.. if he's not bothered, why should anybody else?

Nog didn't tap even after the bone snapped, so what did you want Mir to do? Try and use his free hand for a tickle? Maybe a reacharound?

If the guys in a deep kimura like that and he doesn't snap he's got a one way ticket to the hospital booked.

I actually just rewatched it and you're right, he did tap. I am not sure why I thought he didn't; perhaps just because most of the replays were on the opposite side of the body and you can see the referee move in right as the bone breaks. The fight was also called via TKO/referee stoppage live, I believe. (just rewatched it; Herb Dean called it at 3:38 seconds, a TKO)

There's also this:

F8FOD.jpg

Which seems to imply he didn't know how bad it was until the fight was stopped.

Jones checked on Machida post fight. Dropping him would have been hard to avoid, he was unconscious and the ref told Jones to back off. The medical staff ran into check on him immediately, and I'm sure he'd prefer they be doing it rather than Jones. But post fight, before he was declared the winner, he walked over and spoke with Machida.

Well... in other UFC news (everyone probably heard allready) UFC on Fox 2 will see the debut of the flyweight division in a 4-man tournament with UFC vets Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson and newcomers McCall and Urushitani. With the added FOX/Fuel/... cards for 2012, I guess the UFC can definetely support another division. I'm a bit scared about the depth of the bantamweight division though (or the lack of it...). Losing Benavidez, Johnson and probably Mizugaki & some others too will be significant. I guess the biggest winners here are the fighters from the last TUF. Their job security just took a jump, especially for the bantams...

That was one of the best cards I've ever seen. Hard to watch that arm snap, especially after he seemed to get out of it, crazy finish. Mir's always been a dickhead, so I'm not surprised he didn't check on Nog afterwards, but I don't think there was much else Jones could do without it looking like he was ignoring the referee, and has been said, he did go and speak to Machida afterwards.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

Well... in other UFC news (everyone probably heard allready) UFC on Fox 2 will see the debut of the flyweight division in a 4-man tournament with UFC vets Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson and newcomers McCall and Urushitani. With the added FOX/Fuel/... cards for 2012, I guess the UFC can definetely support another division. I'm a bit scared about the depth of the bantamweight division though (or the lack of it...). Losing Benavidez, Johnson and probably Mizugaki & some others too will be significant. I guess the biggest winners here are the fighters from the last TUF. Their job security just took a jump, especially for the bantams...

UFC on FX 2 actually. (Y)