Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr. Potato Head

UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Per popular demand, UFC now has its own news and discussion thread for those who don't want to sift through information on foreign and smaller companies.

A few tidbits to start us off:

-Gray Maynard is tired of beating people he's expected to beat, and has called out the winner of the Florian/Gomi fight on the 31st.
-Frank "Nutso" Mir claims that Shane Carwin is a more dangerous opponent than Brock Lesnar...but says he'll beat Carwin.
-Charles Oliviera is the newest UFC signing

Plus we're still not sure what's up with Randy, Chuck, Tito and Rich.

Justin McCully fans unite! (H)

Per popular demand, UFC now has its own news and discussion thread for those who don't want to sift through information on foreign and smaller companies.

-Gray Maynard is tired of beating people he's expected to beat, and has called out the winner of the Florian/Gomi fight on the 31st.

-Frank "Nutso" Mir claims that Shane Carwin is a more dangerous opponent than Brock Lesnar...but says he'll beat Carwin.

That should totally be a sitcom.

That should totally be a sitcom.

3 Normal guys and an Asshole (the asshole would be Tito in case you didn't get it :shifty:)

And in related news... Randy Couture got his first ever tattoo...

33dfp5s.jpg

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's looking less and less likely that GSP will try out for 2012 Olympic wrestling.

The UFC fan in me is happy but the Canadian in me is sad.

It's looking less and less likely that GSP will try out for 2012 Olympic wrestling.

The UFC fan in me is happy but the Canadian in me is sad.

GSP's wrestling is very much tailored for MMA though, it sounds weird, but I think the guy may struggle in olympic competition

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I think he'd be able to adapt given enough training. Which is why he'd have to start right after the Hardy fight.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

News coming out of last night:

-Next UFC Live will be August 1 in Oakland

-Dana says he'll sign Jake Shields if he beats Henderson

-Hints that something did indeed happen to Tito during TUF fighting

Guest Mr. Potato Head

UFC on Versus did a 1.1 rating and 1.24 million viewers.

More interesting to me is the Canadian number of 336,000 - normally we don't get accurate Canadian ratings because it's impossible to know how many Canadians watched on Spike. Versus isn't available here, so we get a clearer picture.

336,000 was well behind the NHL and curling this weekend, and slightly behind the PGA, but ahead of NASCAR and way ahead of all basketball, be it NBA or NCAA or CIS. Baseball and football numbers are generally well ahead of what UFC got, soccer below.

Considering it wasn't a huge marquee card and really didn't have the buzz I notice for PPVs, that seems like a good number.

UFC on versus was awesome, I enjoyed almost everything, except the lack of the stoppage for Buentello's finger, it really should have been a TKO, but it was nice to get a definitive finish, and wow, for Jon Jones, just wow.

I was going to post this yesterday, but I forgot. I watched the UFC 111 press conference and Q&A yesterday, and wow, does Hardy come across as a good dude when not in full on dick mode. Also fucking mad props to Dana White and the fighters that were there, they had all the time in the world for fans, and Mir was especially a good dude, and the guy when not talking about a certain Brock Lesnar comes across as a really articulate smart guy. Also Dana was such a star, fans gets up to the mic and says something along the lines of "Wow, Dana, I love you guys, and it would be my dream if I could come backstage and hang out with you on Saturday." and Dana just says "Done" and gets the guy to meet with one of the Zuffa people to arrange it, the guy was all class, even when the questions were a bit dickish (guy from Yahoo Sports was asking really stupid questions) he just gave him "the look" and said "Next question" didn't call the guy out other than call his question stupid later when a fan said something, Dana really knew how to play to the crowd.

Yeah, Dana's a good guy, before the show he tweeted that he was at a Target parking lot down the road from the stadium, first people there would get free tickets, dude's awesome.

Yeah, Dana's a good guy, before the show he tweeted that he was at a Target parking lot down the road from the stadium, first people there would get free tickets, dude's awesome.

He does this every event as well, always tweeting tickets. Genius.

Late, but reporting in!

Late, but reporting in!

I'm sorry but you'll have to unite somewhere which isn't part of the UFC <_<

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Alves is out of 111 with an injury, Pellegrino/Camoes has been promoted to the main card.

Also, UFC is beginning French broadcasts now, with Jean-Paul Chartrand (RDS' wrestling colour man between Rougeau and Oulette's runs) and Patrick Cote. I find this to be a hilarious odd couple pairing.

I was looking forward to the Fitch/Alves fight as well. He failed a CAT Scan but ATT have said that they hope they can maybe have the fight at UFC 112

Doubt he will be at 112, too much hassle with it being in Abu Dhabi and arranging to get the fighters and all the corners there, and fir it around all the other fights on the card. i reckon it'll be put off till 113 or 114 at the earliest, make sure Alves is fully healed.

Also even less likely seen as Fitch is replacing Ellenberger vs Saunders <_<

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That's gonna be a really exciting fight, though - I know Saunders was stopped by Swick, but Fitch is mostly a wrestler, and Saunders might be able to knock him out and get into the title picture.

I can dream, can't I?

Ellenberger now gets to avoid vicious knees from Saunders and gets paid show and win bonus money anyways. Good for him. :shifty:

Can't see Saunders getting past Fitch though, so bad news for him.

• Like 1

Asking directly for Fitch is a very ballsy move from Saunders, could backfire...

step up in competition for sure but even if he loses it's still early in his career and he can grow from a loss. Tough fight but i think Fitch's ground game will be too much for him

Everybody weighed in right today, so tomorrow is all ahead green now, except Rory Markham, his and Nates match will now be a 177lb catchweight bout :D

God I am looking forward to this card! Carwin/Mir and Hardy/GSP have got me absolutely hyped up for this card. First title fight since 107 way back at the end of last year :)

Yeh the UFC's picking up strongly after unfortunately picking up a few injuries past few cards. I'm hyped for this card shame i'm not going to be able to see it live :( But still internet it when i get back from the grandparents

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yeah as much as I want to see this, I won't be. Might avoid spoilers and watch it Sunday morning, but most likely I'll just miss out.