UFC News and Discussion Thread

I had it 48-47 for Gustafsson, with Gus winning 1-2-3 and Jones getting 4-5, but Round 2 could've easily gone either way.

49-46 for Bones is a criminal scorecard.

I've seen so many varying opinions on fb.

Some give Jones either/both Round 1 and 3 and others give Gusty Round 4.

If they were only $10-15 cheaper, I'd think about buying the PPVs myself. :( $25 less and I'd probably buy every single one regardless of overall quality.

I had it 48-47 for Gustafsson, with Gus winning 1-2-3 and Jones getting 4-5, but Round 2 could've easily gone either way.

If they were only $10-15 cheaper, I'd think about buying the PPVs myself. :( $25 less and I'd probably buy every single one regardless of overall quality.

People seriously think Gus won Round 4? No way.

Wasn't about to shell out cash for this, but man that fight sounded close! Lots of outrage over Jones getting the 49-46 from one judge.

Naturally, ESPN's edit made Jones look dominant.

Actually, the round-by-round highlights the UFC showed after Bones was announced the winner were also very pro-Bones.

People seriously think Gus won Round 4? No way.

Yeah. Truly crazy reaction. Some others think Round 4 was the only round Jones won.

Wish I'd seen this.

Wasn't about to shell out cash for this, but man that fight sounded close! Lots of outrage over Jones getting the 49-46 from one judge.

Actually, the round-by-round highlights the UFC showed after Bones was announced the winner were also very pro-Bones.
I'm not a Jones hater or a tinfoil hat conspiracy guy but it's not surpising they'd want Bones to look good. Gus isn't the one with the Nike and Gatorade deals.
  • Like 1

I'm not a Jones hater or a tinfoil hat conspiracy guy but it's not surpising they'd want Bones to look good. Gus isn't the one with the Nike and Gatorade deals.

Yeah, I understand the strategy. But from the look of the highlights alone, it looks ilke Bones dominated the fight. Which is a really bad deal for Gus, specially if you might make a rematch.

I had it 48-47 with Jones winning rounds 2, 4 and 5, though the 2nd was razor thin.

After three rounds though, I was wondering if Jones had been abducted and replaced with a flat footed, one dimensional clone. I wonder if he had a rough weight cut because he looked like he was stoned for the first fifteen minutes.

PPV MAIN EVENT FIGHT FIVE: JON JONES VS. ALEXANDER GUSTAFSSON (LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP)

Penick's Rd 1 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. Gustafsson did connect on that grazing right that cut him open, and the brief takedown, but that round was almost all the Champ.

Penick's Rd 2 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. Gustafsson having more success than anyone else has against Jones, but the Champ is still striking more effectively with his kicks.

Penick's Rd 3 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. Another close round, but Jones continues to do more with his strikes than the challenger.

Penick's Rd 4 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. That was on its way to being Gustafsson's clearest round, then Jones stole it back with the final minute of offense that came close to stopping the challenger.

Penick's Rd 5 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. I don't know how Gustafsson is standing after those head kicks, but that was an incredible performance. I might catch some flack for a clean sweep on my card here, and to be clear it's a lot closer than a 50-45 fight, but Jones absolutely has an argument for each of the first three, and clearly won the last two with damage. This is going to be interesting.

WINNER: Jones via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)

STAR RATING: (*****) That's as good as it gets in this sport. Gustafsson was every bit the game challenger, and had an argument for taking the first three rounds. This was the best fight anyone's given Jon Jones, and he will be back in this spot again. that's quite simply one of the best fights in UFC history.

Then

UPDATE: Upon re-watching the first three rounds twice now, I can give Gustafsson the first, and the third, but hold fast at Jones taking the second, fourth, and fifth. It was a close, fight, But I think Jones was still the clear winner, especially given the damage done in the last two rounds.

You people already knew I had no life. :shifty:

PPV MAIN EVENT FIGHT FIVE: JON JONES VS. ALEXANDER GUSTAFSSON (LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP)

Penick's Rd 1 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. Gustafsson did connect on that grazing right that cut him open, and the brief takedown, but that round was almost all the Champ.

Penick's Rd 2 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. Gustafsson having more success than anyone else has against Jones, but the Champ is still striking more effectively with his kicks.

Penick's Rd 3 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. Another close round, but Jones continues to do more with his strikes than the challenger.

Penick's Rd 4 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. That was on its way to being Gustafsson's clearest round, then Jones stole it back with the final minute of offense that came close to stopping the challenger.

Penick's Rd 5 Scorecard: 10-9 Jones. I don't know how Gustafsson is standing after those head kicks, but that was an incredible performance. I might catch some flack for a clean sweep on my card here, and to be clear it's a lot closer than a 50-45 fight, but Jones absolutely has an argument for each of the first three, and clearly won the last two with damage. This is going to be interesting.

WINNER: Jones via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)

STAR RATING: (*****) That's as good as it gets in this sport. Gustafsson was every bit the game challenger, and had an argument for taking the first three rounds. This was the best fight anyone's given Jon Jones, and he will be back in this spot again. that's quite simply one of the best fights in UFC history.

Then

UPDATE: Upon re-watching the first three rounds twice now, I can give Gustafsson the first, and the third, but hold fast at Jones taking the second, fourth, and fifth. It was a close, fight, But I think Jones was still the clear winner, especially given the damage done in the last two rounds.

You people already knew I had no life. :shifty:

That's just embarassing though. Never in your life was Jones winning all five rounds or walking away as a clear winner. Damage? Jones had to be fucking carried to the back and was apparently left on a stretcher. His face was an absolute mess and Gustaffson for my money picked him apart for the first three rounds. His takedown defence was outstanding and it wasn't until the final two rounds that Jones really started to mount a serious comeback.

For me Gustaffson won the fight. I can accept a razor thin decision for Jones, but people trying to score this 49-46 or fucking 45-50 is just beyond mental.

Standing away from the decision though, it was an absolute incredible fight.

• Like 1

Oh boy, what a fight card!

I think in the all getting a raging boner for the main event we are forgetting the utterly fantastic efforts of the likes of Barao and Nurmagomedov, great event, reminds me why I love the UFC so much.

Yeah, I understand the strategy. But from the look of the highlights alone, it looks ilke Bones dominated the fight. Which is a really bad deal for Gus, specially if you might make a rematch.

It's less than a day after the event, thoughts for putting this out in such a way to build to a rematch have not fully formulated, give them a chance.

I thought Glover was already next in line? I suppose that could change.

Dana said last night he will have a rethink when Gus and Jones have had a chance to recover, and at least it woud aloow the hype to die down for a more level-headed decision.

I had it 48-47 with Jones winning rounds 2, 4 and 5, though the 2nd was razor thin.

After three rounds though, I was wondering if Jones had been abducted and replaced with a flat footed, one dimensional clone. I wonder if he had a rough weight cut because he looked like he was stoned for the first fifteen minutes.

100% agree, I was really confused as to whether it was Gus being that good, or JJ being that off his game.

A classic ruined by poor judging for me.

49-46 is an absolute disgrace.

And now these two... 100% disagree, Rounds 4&5 were easily Bones, 1,2&3 I could have seen easily scored either way, Gus hit one takedown and one or two good shots, but JJ was dictating where the fight was going in the octagon with Gus backing off and counter striking, he was being more aggressive and as a result got caught with a grazing punch and a single takedown. if you took one of the three rounds for Gus, then the other two for Jones (narrowly I agree) a 49-46 card is not totally ridiculous.

In no way was that fight ruined by the judging, nothing criminal happenned, it was just fucking great!