UFC News and Discussion Thread

The odds seem to be in Mir's favour, but I'd fancy a tidy bet on a late Kongo TKO or a decision. Bit of a risk, but considering Mirs last two wins saw him kneebar an inexperienced Lesnar than pound out Nog with Staph, this is kind of an acid test for his striking. Plus he can wilt if he gets rocked, so it'll be very interesting.

The odds seem to be in Mir's favour, but I'd fancy a tidy bet on a late Kongo TKO or a decision. Bit of a risk, but considering Mirs last two wins saw him kneebar an inexperienced Lesnar than pound out Nog with Staph, this is kind of an acid test for his striking. Plus he can wilt if he gets rocked, so it'll be very interesting.

In that mindset I guess Griffin beat a skull cracked, bulging disc' Tito Ortiz too, right?

I was falling for you until there. Mir should expose Kongo's lack of ground and pick him part via jiu-jitsu. Standing Mir has improved enough to bang with Kongo, but I don't think he is going to stay in there long enough to get KTFO. The legs of Kongo are too dangerous and Cain showed us that Kongo is still to weak on the ground to truly have much of a chance right here.

Personally, I think that this fight is more of a "let's make Mir important with a win over a name" fight.

I do consider Mir to be the favourite, and yes, if the fight goes to the ground, he'll probably make Kongo tap pretty quick. But the thing is I can't stand Frank Mir, for some odd reason, and that's why I'm rooting for Kongo in that bout - no matter what the odds are.

So no, what I wrote wasn't a prediction, it was me hoping that a fighter I like gets an upset victory over a guy I really, really dislike. :P

In that mindset I guess Griffin beat a skull cracked, bulging disc' Tito Ortiz too, right?

Not at all. But looking at every single fight against top competition Nog's had (in UFC, Pride, Rings etc.), he's never turned in a performance like that and it's the only time I can think of he's fought injured. Maybe Mir's striking has improved dramatically, maybe not. That's why I called this the acid test for it and fancied an upset maybe.

Ortiz on the other hand has been playing that for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, looking at the way dana tweeted about Mazzagatti's first fight, he is going to FLIP. THE FUCK. OUT on twitter at this one.

Words have not yet been invented to describe how much bullshit that was.

I would think Dana wouldn't flip out on this call because you can't award a fight to a guy who threw an illegal elbow like that and the guy who took it cannot continue.

Though I would have thought it would wind up a no contest, but in situations like this, it's always a DQ or no contest, so nothing really bullshit about this call.

From MMAJunkie:

Nevada State Athletic Director Keith Kizer just informed MMAjunkie.com that the disqualification result was the first-ever use of instant replay in the commission's history. After halting the bout, Mazzagatti asked for the replay to determine whether the illegal blows contributed to the ending of the fight. When replays showed that the elbows scored directly to the eye, the disqualification result was issued. Because the illegal blows landed as part of the sequence that ended the fight, the ruling was made.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Grinch

Good God was that an excruciating show to watch.

Started off okay up to and including the Bocek fight.

Then we got Kimbo/Houston, and it went exactly how everyone should have expected it to go. No legitimate MMA fighter is going to want the embarrassment of a loss to Kimbo, so they're going to exploit his biggest weakness - no real ground game. Problem with that here is that Houston had even less of a ground game, so all he could do was take advantage of Kimbo's unwillingness to press the action by throwing a ton of low kicks. Of course it was going to be a boring fight - Kimbo's only an exciting fighter when he's in with people who are willing to make themselves look like complete dumbasses.

Oh and the judge who scored it 30-27 was clearly bullshit. Round 2 was Kimbo's and I'll admit that I can see giving him round 3, but did he even land one shot in round 1? Octagon control isn't enough when the other guy's the aggressor AND the better striker.

Then we got Bones/Hamill, which was an excellent demolition by one of my favourite fighters turned into a bullshit decision. I'll admit that Mazzagatti made the right call within the framework of the rules, but it's stupid to have those elbows banned (at least if you believe Joe Rogan's explanation), and it had better be turned into a NC because there's no way you can argue that Hamill deserves a win. I think the NC is fair too because Jones wouldn't have thrown those elbows if he knew they were illegal and originally Mazzagatti was just going to deduct a point - had the fight gone on, Jones would've adjusted his ground-and-pound and still won easily.

Then we find out that Chuck Liddell is coming out of retirement because Dana ultimately cares more about making money than his friend's well-being or legacy. It's going to be really sad to see Chuck lose to Tito.

I actually enjoyed the main event enough, but because Nelson gets the X-Pac heat, it was by far the worst outcome UFC could have hoped for. I like the guy, but most people don't (and not in a good way like with Tito).

Hopefully things pick up for UFC soon, because I'm not going to stick around if it gets much worse.

Clearly the best thing was Nelson coming out to Weird Al's Fat. :shifty:

And after reading Meltzer's recap, apparently Dana joked to him that Kalib Starnes was in Houston Alexander's corner. :D He also thinks he won't be around much longer, but that's really not surprising. Like most people on this card tonight, losing pretty much means you are on your way out the door.

• Like 1

I'm still not understanding how people are saying Hamill shouldn't have won the fight. Jon Jones ended the fight on an illegal move and Matt Hamill couldn't continue. This doesn't make it a no contest, it means Jones is disqualified from the fight for use of an illegal move, thus giving the win to Matt Hamill. If someone is disqualified in boxing, the fight isn't ended in a no contest, it's ended in a win for the other fighter. I'm a huge Hamill supporter and Jones really showed me what he can do and I like the guy, but you can't call it a no contest when an illegal move from one fighter ends the fight. That means any fighter can just get away with it and hope for a no contest.

Oh, and don't bring your city to my Big Country. Plz and thanks.

I thought that a lot of the kicks Alexander threw were weak, so I expected Kimbo to step in and throw when Alexander kicked. I did like the third round, because Alexander started to engage more.

The scoring was wierd though. I don't see how round one could have been scored for Kimbo. Personally, I would have given the first round to Alexander, the second to Kimbo by 10-8, and the third barely to Kimbo.

I also enjoyed how winning The Ultimate Fighter didn't seem like a big deal for Nelson.

Disqualification: a "warning" will be given when a fighter commits a foul or illegal action or does not follow the referee's instruction. Three warnings will result in a disqualification. Moreover, if a fighter is injured and unable to continue due to a deliberate illegal technique from his opponent, the opponent will be disqualified.

That is the official rule too. Since Jones did a deliberate illegal technique to his opponent (Hamill), the opponent will be disqualified. Thus being the reason why Matt Hamill won the fight. Just to clarify that.

How is the referee supposed to know that Hamill's shoulder was hurt? Did Hamill tell the referee? It was not visually obvious that Hamill's shoulder was injured. I don't see how Mazagatti could have ended that fight in Jones's favour because of an injury that he didn't know about.

Whatever the record book or the rulebook says, Jon Jones won that fight. The fight should have been over well before the pointy elbows that got Jones disqualified, because Hamill wasn't intelligently defending himself for quite a while. Furthermore, I'm sure as far as future matchmaking goes, even though Jones' record is blemished, he will still be treated as though he won that fight and continue to move up the ranks.