UFC News and Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

So yeah, just bought and finished watching UFC 44, which was pretty much a bargain at £16.99 as most UFC DVDs are £24.99 over here, hopefully it means that they're about to start lowering UFC DVD prices so I can actually build a collection

Anyway, anyone else seen this show, pretty good card, felt like it was well worth the price of purchasing the DVD to see the show and its definetly one I'll be watching again

Might as well get the big match out of the way first... Couture Vs. Ortiz, Light Heavyweight unification match. Damn, how much does Couture dominate this fight? From start to finish it is literally five rounds of Couture taking down Ortiz and using ground and pound, I mean I enjoyed the fight as I was pulling for Couture all along (I didn't know the results beforehand, or if I had read them it was along enough ago for me to forget about them) but I would of like to see a little more from Ortiz in the fight. Couture actually spanking Ortiz in the last round was funny, I was actually surprised about how many famous people turn up to see UFC shows, I was also disapointted in Michael Clarke Duncan for saying Ortiz was going to win.

Sylvia/McGee was short, McGee offered no guard whatsoever and paid for it, Sylvia looked dominant throughout

Caol Uno lost :( , he had control of the first but was sickly dumped on his freakin' head and was just not in the game after that, I did think he'd take the match if that hadn't happened

Nothing from the rest of the card was overly huge, I did however enjoy every fight, a lot of them were short though, I would of preferred to see a few more go past the first round

• 1 month later...

LAS VEGAS, NEV. ----The second of four Ultimate Fighting Championship® one-hour specials will air at Midnight local time this Sunday, January 30 on FSN. An encore re-play will air at 4 p.m., local time, Thursday, Feb. 4.

“Ultimate Fighting Championship” will feature three of the UFC®’s best bouts from its recent fight shows. In this show, fans can re-live epic battles between Middleweights Dave Menne and Phil Baroni; Heavyweights Andrei Arlovski and Ian Freeman, and the UFC World Heavyweight Championship bout between Tim Sylvia and Ricco Rodriguez. The dates and times of the remaining shows will be announced.

In October, FSN and the UFC inked an agreement for FSN to televise four, one-hour UFC fight-show specials on a quarterly basis within the year. In another FSN/UFC program note, UFC Light Heavyweight top contender Tito Ortiz, “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy,” will appear this Thursday, January 27, as a special guest on Best Damn Sports Show Period. Ortiz, 12-4-0 in mixed martial arts, is in final training for his main event match with former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort, 12-4-0, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at UFC 51: Super Saturday, Feb. 5, LIVE on pay-per-view from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Viewers should check local listings for the time BDSSP is telecast in their area.

“UFC, the ultimate combo of martial arts, boxing and wrestling, is phenomenal entertainment,” said George Greenberg, FSN’s executive vice president of programming and production. “It’s a natural extension of programming for FSN’s core audience as it will satisfy our legions of fight fans.”

FSN reaches more than 82 million homes through its 20 regional sports channels, and serves as the only supplier of national, regional and local sports programming. For the latest up-to-the-minute sports news and opinions, visit www.FoxSports.com

Yeah the UFC card looks solid. This will be the first time I'll choose UFC over PRIDE.

Out of curiousity since I haven't followed UFC in awhile, who else is in the Heavyweight Division. I seem to recall a bunch of fighters removed due to drugs or injuries.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

This looks like a pretty stacked card. I'm hoping for good things from Loiseau, as long as he is the guy I'm thinking off, black Canadian guy that throws some bad ass elbows from the clinch, right?

Ortiz/Belfort should be a great match, I'm hoping for Belfort to pull it out

I'm not a big Baroni fan, as I preferred Lindland in the Lindland/Baroni 'feud' but its a shame that the Baroni/Lawler match won't go ahead

If Belfort doesn't win, I will cry.

I still have fond memories when I was younger of watching Belfort/Abbott and going (this kid is going to get killed by Tank), then watched him fuck Tank up, although, that was a long time ago.Belfort's still the man though.

Fedor V. CroCop is supposed to be around April, depending on if Fedor signs with somebody, how the DSE let him become a free agent is beyond me...Hunt vs. CroCop is also supposed to happen aswell, which could be more interesting than in K-1

I swear if Fedor and/or Silva slips through DSE's fingers... It just won't be PRIDE without either one of them. Being unable to sign your Middleweight and Heavyweight title holders doesn't look too good on the company. In Sakakibara's latest interview on PRIDE's website, he didn't mention the contract situations at all. That could be a really good sign or a bad sign.

LAS VEGAS, NEV. ----The second of four Ultimate Fighting Championship® one-hour specials will air at Midnight local time this Sunday, January 30 on FSN. An encore re-play will air at 4 p.m., local time, Thursday, Feb. 4.

Edited by Psicosis

Just adding a few misc things to the thread.

Vitor Belfort and Tito Ortiz will make up the main event of UFC 51, which takes place February 5 in Las Vegas. Twice this fight had to be postponed, but both men are healthy and it appears to be a go this time.

Belfort has been training daily with his team, Brazilian Top Team. Carrying all the power of his team at his side, he reveals how intense his time in the gym has been.

“My training is pretty heavy,” says the 27-year-old Brazilian. “I’ve been training 10 hours per day, following a strict diet and with all the support of my team. Everything is working out as planned.”

The light heavyweight contender does not reveal his strategy in hopes that he surprises Ortiz by fight time, but he did say he will “run over Ortiz because I know he fears punches.”

Some fans are anxious about which Vitor Belfort will step in against Ortiz. Will it be the Belfort who surprised the world with his quick hands, earning him the nickname “Phenom”?

“Sure,” he answered. “My fans will be happy with what they will see on the Octagon.”

With this being the last fight under his UFC contract, Belfort isn’t keeping quiet about his plans. “I want to become the PRIDE world champion and face Wanderlei Silva,” he declared.

Speaking about Silva, the PRIDE middleweight champion lost his last fight against Mark Hunt. Belfort had a simple explanation for the defeat of his rival:

“You can’t beat everyone. If God arranges us something, it’s done!”

With the birth of his son, Davi, looming, the Brazilian has shifted his focus between training and his wife. “My wife was with me until today here in Rio de Janeiro. Everyone’s giving me great support. My family is my base and my son is my dream. If I win, I will surely dedicate my victory to him.”

To the fans around the world he has captivated with great performances, the “Phenom” asks for just one thing: “Pray a lot to God and ask him for health to me, I’ll do the rest!”

credit: Sherdog.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest Red Devil

Just thought i'd add that in the UK UFC 51 will air on a 24 hour delay on Bravo on February 6th. Not really sure on the time, the show should be awesome espessially with a hot Main event.

PRIDE 29: Fists of Fury card announced....

PRIDE 29: Fist Of Fire

Date : February 20 2005

Place: Saitama Super Arena

Open : 14:00 Start:16:00

TOKYO, Japan – Four match-ups have been announced for PRIDE FIGHTING’S FISTS OF FIRE fight card. Headlining the event will be a clash of fighting styles as striker Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic takes on wrestler Mark “The Hammer” Coleman. Also on the card, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson returns to the ring facing Chute Boxe’s Murilo “Ninja” Rua ... Antonio Rogerio Nogueira of the Brazilian Top Team will go head to head with Golden Glory’s Alistair “Demolition Man” Overeem … and it’s Korea versus Russia as Choi Mu Bae takes on Sergei Kharitonov.

Mirko Filipovic vs. Mark Coleman

(Croatia/Team Cro Cop) (USA/Hammer House)

Quinton Jackson vs. Murilo Rua

(USA / Team Oyama) (Brazil /Chute Boxe Academy)

Alistair Overeem vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

(Holland/Golden Glory) (Brazil/Brazilian Top Team)

Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Yoshiki Takahashi

(Ukraine/PMMA) (Japan/Pancrase Ism)

Mu Bae Choi vs. Sergei Kharitonov

(CMA-KPW KOREA) (Russia/Russian Top Team)

Confirmed Participants

Ryan Gracie

Kazuhiro Nakamura

Hirotaka Yokoi

Mauricio Rua

credit: Sherdog.com