UFC News and Discussion Thread

Yes Wand, join the dark side, come to K-1, come to K-1, make this romanex bullshit legit, you to Nog.Belfort once he's done with Tito can come too.Oh yeah, and Fedor too, I guess.But Wand would be interesting, under K-1 rules or Romanex.

Heh, maybe K-1'll get Tyson to fight for them soon too, with all the interest they have.I'd still despite his madness and such love to see Tyson hit a Overhand right and hand Bob Sapp his ass.

This makes me very happy.And Overeem, he's from Stefan Leko's club (or former, I haven't kept up) is he not?

And CroCop better KTFO Coleman, otherwise I will be greatly dissappointed, espcially if he gets subbed and blows this possible match up with Fedor.

Yeah, both Overeem and Leko are members of Golden Glory. I used to love Golden Glory just because of Heath Herring, but then he went off and got himself associated with Las Vegas Combat Club.

And that whole Romanex idea went under, K-1 just classifies MMA as Free Fight Rules now. But if Nog, Fedor, and Silva all manage to go to the darkside, K-1's MMA division will be solid. If Wand moves up to Heavyweight like he wants to and you add Fujita and Herring, you've got one hell of a base for a HW division.

And I'm always up for seeing Cro Cop lose, but I'd rather see him get drilled into the ground by Fedor. But we all know the situation going on there.

Yeah the UFC card looks solid. This will be the first time I'll choose UFC over PRIDE.

Out of curiousity since I haven't followed UFC in awhile, who else is in the Heavyweight Division. I seem to recall a bunch of fighters removed due to drugs or injuries.

Uh, the UFC HW division is thin as ice.... besides Sylvia, Mir, and Arlovski, the only big names the company can use are Kimo and Ken Shamrock, and since the division is so thin, I can actually see one of them getting a title shot down the road.

That leaves a slim, relatively unknown pool of guys including Mike Kyle, Justin Eilers, Paul Buentello, and....ugh....Wes Sims. Not that those guys aren't good, they just don't have any name value right now. Nothing against the guy, but not many will be interested in a UFC show headlined by Mike Kyle.

Having just watched Meltdown... What's wrong with Kimo? He seems pretty good and gets a good reaction from the crowd

Nothing is wrong with him, he has developed himself a ton since his early UFC days and is a popular guy. It's just that him and Ken are more gatekeepers, rather than HW championship contenders. They are good fighters, no doubt, but both men are turning 41 this year and haven't exactly been active fighters in the last few years, both for different reasons (Ken was nursing some heavy injuries and Kimo spent the majority of time training, IIRC, and he was suspended for 6 months in August). I think it would be best that Ken and Kimo fight just for show rather than titles, because their careers are winding down. I'm not knocking either guy, I'm just saying. But who knows, that's just the way I see it.

Fair enough. Having just come of the back of watching Meltdown, Kimo came across as a really good fighter (Although he was against Tank and took him to the ground straight away for the victory in the first round, so its probably not the best of matches to judge him on) and someone that could help the floundering HW division. However that was 8 shows ago, which is a long time in UFC time, particularly if he hasn't had a fight in between now and then.

And Wes Sims is hilarious... Anyone that stomps on Frank Mir's face = :thumbsup: in my book

When is Mir due back anyway? If at all.

Edited by Natural Born Thrilla

Mir should be back sometime within this year, soon hopefully.

Though Frank Mir rubs me the wrong way, Wes Sims is just a jackass. With a little more exposure, I think Mir could be blessed as one of the most dangerous fighters on the ground....but Wes Sims... He has the attributes to be a great fighter and a contender, but he's been doing dick all since getting his big break UFC and he pisses me off all the time. When Sims loses, he is always quick with the complaints.

After he stomped Mir's face in and got DQ'd, he blamed it on Mir purposely poking him in eye with his thumb. He's trainer/coach Mark Coleman had the right idea by saying that he had been training Wes in PRIDE rules, so instinctively Sims would have stomped on him in that position (even though he should have told the jackass it's against the rules to grab the cage). But then Wes Sims the assclown goes off and says in an interview that he stomped on Mir's face in retaliation for the eye poke.

Then he blamed his loss to Mike Kyle because Kyle bit him on the chest. He said that because of the bite, he eased up on his choke and Kyle got out. Even if that was the case, that shouldn't have caused him to be gassed out as fuck when Big John ordered the stand up. It seemed like it took Sims an eternity to stand up, he was gassed to hell. Then when he did get up, he turned his back Kyle and walked in the opposite direction! I always get a kick out of Big John yelling "TURN AROUND!" to Wes, then watching Kyle walk up behind Wes, give him a few solid shots before Sims collapses to the ground like a sack of bricks. Granted, Sims took the fight on one day notice, but still, no professional fighter in the UFC should gas out the way he did.

What's sad is that Wes Sims does have potential, but he has yet to show it in the UFC. I'd give him a few more chances before I judge him a dud, but right now I'm leaning in that direction.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

From the sounds of it, Sims does sound like a jackass. He also seems to be below the level of McGee and Sylvia, and with those two in the division already I can't see there being much room for another enormous guy the size of Sims, unless they bring something really special to the Octagon.

Mir rubs me up the wrong way for some reason, but I'll be glad to see him back as he does have star potential written all over him. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs once he returns because the HW division is becoming a land of the giants so to speak and that does, to me at least, seem to be one of the reasons why Couture stepped down a level to fight at LHW, so he could be with people his own size

Speaking of guys that gas early, what do you think to Ian Freeman? I think that's his name anyway, British guy, a bit overweight. He didn't seem like anything overly special and pretty much epitimised everything that I imagined a British guy in the UFC would be like.

I like Ian Freeman. You're right, he isn't anything special, but he is a hell of a brawler. If all you Brits slug it out like he does, I don't want to ever meet one of guys on the street. He actually beat Frank Mir at Royal Albert Hall back at UFC 38. He also had a pretty good slugfest (sans a few slow points) with Vernon "Tiger" White at Meltdown.

Yeah, it was on Meltdown that I saw him. He was gassed towards the end, but he did seem like a hell of a brawler, has he been on any shows since?

The commentators were talking about his victory over Mir. Mir went for a heel hook from underneath a mounted position and Freeman just pounded on him for the stoppage, or something like that.

Also, Meltdown had Lindland getting knocked out from falling on his back... Man that sucked to see, I was hyped for the fight and then it ended like that. :(

Actually, Matt had 3 fights between his win over Pat Miletich and his self KO (Murilo Bustamante, Ivan Salaverry, and Phil Baroni).

A little bit of history, Miletich's loss to Lindland was his last fight before going into full time training of his own team, Miletich Fighting Systems, which boasts talented fighters such as former Tony Fryklund, Robbie Lawler, former UFC Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, former UFC Lighweight champion Jens Pulver, and current UFC Welterweight champion Matt Hughes. Miletich himself was a former UFC Welterweight champ.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Ah, fair enough. I'm sure one day I'll get the time line of things down in my head. I was going to say I don't remember Miletich having a fight after his loss to Lindland.

Is the Miletich Fighting System the best camp? I mean the only other one that ever seems to stand out during the shows I've watched is Team Quest, but I've never really done much research into the area

I'd say the best team would be without a doubt, Brazilian Top Team. They have some of the most talented fighters in the World on the team.

Including, but not limited too Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Vitor Belfort, Murilo Bustamante, Hermes Franca, Ricardo Arona, Paulo Filho, Mario Sperry, and Allan Goes. That's quite the camp.

Miletich Fighting System has a pretty good camp too. Besides the already mentioned Sylvia, Hughes, Pulver, Frykland, and Lawler, they have Jeremy Horn and the up and coming Justin Eilers (who will be in action at UFC 51).

Team Quest are top notch in terms of wrestling. Hell, with Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Dan Henderson, and Rulon Gardner alone you've got a World class wrestling team. However, one of their big names, Evan Tanner, recently left Team Quest.

But still, IMO, Brazilian Top Team takes the cake.

Just an update....

Riggs-Loiseau Off UFC 51

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The UFC 51 middleweight bout between Joe "Diesel" Riggs (21-5-0) and David "The Crow" Loiseau (11-4-0) has been cancelled after it was learned Riggs, who received nine stitches for a cut he suffered during training late last week, would not be cleared to fight by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

With just days remaining before the February 5 card, Zuffa opted against signing a replacement for Riggs. No make-up date has been announced

credit: sherdog.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Man that sucks about Loiseau/Riggs, like I said I quite enjoy watching Loiseau, mainly for those sick ass elbows he throws. Shame that he'll be off of the card due to the other guys injury, but to be honest I'd rather see them fight further down the line instead of Loiseau winning by blood stoppage. Which is what I could see happening now, if Riggs were to go to the ring with nine stitches in his head.

The Baroni/Menne finish is the only good thing about those fights as a whole. Then again, I guess the show was more to hype Baroni, Arlovski, and Sylvia in fights they've dominated... against opponents who just happen to no longer be in the UFC. So I guess it has a purpose. But still.

And like I've said before, I still don't see way they don't get another guy to fight Loiseau. I mean, they've gotten guys on shorter notice before. I think it's blows for Loiseau, he needs every shot he can get at the big time.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy