UFC News and Discussion Thread

I'm not exactly sure to be honest. Until recently, I had barely followed the contract side of PRIDE/DSE (it would be a lot easier if I could understand Japanese, that way I could follow the big name Japanese sports site such as Sportsnavi...). However, Silva fought 4 fights last year alone, so take that for what it's worth. I'd say 4 or 5 is a start, but if I was DSE I wouldn't hesitate to give him an extension as soon as it's needed.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

UFC 51 update and a few predictions.

Good news, NBT, David Loiseau WILL fight this Saturday. No, it's not Joseph Riggs... that fight would have been good. Riggs will be replaced by Gideon Ray, a guy I know little about except that his wins are in double digits and IIRC he only has one loss.... Granted, he hasn't fought too many tough fights.... so yeah. I'm not sure when this fight was made official, it is. Hopefully Loiseau pulls out an impressive victory and we keep seeing more of him in the UFC.

My predictions for the big three, most anticipated contests....

Middleweight Championship Fight: Evan Tanner (30-4) vs. David Terrell (10-1)

My Prediction: A lot of people look at Terrell and instantly dub him the next big thing, which may be true, but I think Evan is out on a mission to earn himself a belt after so many trips down to the cage and he won't be stopped. If Tanner can avoid David's submission attempts and dominates the standup, the clinch, and executes the ground and pound well, it's his title for the picking. However, Evan has to be extremely weary of the dangerous abilities of Terrell on the ground, because if he finds a good opening he can work with, that Middleweight belt is going around his waist. It should be noted that this is David's toughest fight to date and Tanner is on a roll as of late. Even though his wins come over stand up brawlers who aren't up to Terrell's par on the ground, Tanner has to be feeling confident. The only thing I'm worried about is Tanner's training and the fact he hasn't worked with Team Quest for this fight (Tanner recently left Team Quest... that's the same team Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Matt Lindland are on). He'll need to be tip top trained for David Terrell because he really is one of the next big things. But Tanner has something to prove and will give everything and then some.

My Prediction: Evan Tanner via TKO by strikes in 3rd round.

Interim Heavyweight Championship: Tim Sylvia (18-2-0) vs. Andrei Arlovski (9-3)

My Prediction: Andrei fights a quick, intense style complete with equally quick and intense strikes. If Arlovski overwhelms the big man with a barrage of shotgun punches like he did against Cabbage, its Andre's fight. However, one solid Tim Sylvia shot could easily change the pace of the fight in an instant. Tim's best bet, IMO, will be to use his reach to his advantage, striking when he sees an opening whilst keeping the firey Belarusian a safe distance away. Sylvia works with a host of talent fighters, including the great Pat Miletich, so you know he is well prepared. But if Andrei gets a break and opens fire on big Tim, I wouldn't be surprised if he knocks him out. Remember though, Sylvia's can throw a cannon and if he catches the Pitbull on the button he too could score the knock out. Either way, I doubt this thing is going the distance. Tim Sylvia via KO in the 2nd round.

Main Event: Tito Ortiz (12-4-0) vs. Vitor Belfort (12-4-0)

My Prediction: I'll be honest, I'm a hardcore Belfort fan so I might be a bit biased. If Vitor comes to this fight with his head in the game, I'd say he should take Tito with minimal trouble. Belfort is well known for his ligthning quick machine gun hands and wins his fights by overwhelming his opponents, stifiling any bit of offense they can muster. If he unloads on Tito when the time is right, then the Huntington Beach Bad Boy doesn't stand a chance. Plus, Vitor getting back to training with one of the best teams in the World, that being Brazilian Top Team... that doesn't hurt at all now, does it? Don't ever count Ortiz out though, because if Belfort doesn't bring his head with him this Saturday (which he has been known to do), Tito could dominate and win no problemo. Vitor has the Jiu-Jitsu, as does Tito to a lesser extent, but don't hold your breath for either man to whip out their BTT techniques unless it is used as a last resort. Bottom line is both men need this win badly, they must bring their 'A' game. Despite my bias for The Phenom, I can see this going either way. As much as I don't like uneven fights, I have a gut feeling the one man to get the early advantage will control the whole fight from there on in. So... Vitor Belfort via TKO by strikes in 2nd round.

It's going to be a good, rather unpredictable event (at least the big three fights). However, two bouts I was looking forward too have been changed (Riggs vs. Loiseau and Lawler vs. Baroni). Still, I can't wait for the main event. That itself sells the show for me.

--In an interview today, Ortiz talked about that UFC has offered him a fight with Ken Shamrock for the 4/9 live Spike TV special. It's an interesting strategy, but I don't think they need that fight to deliver a strong TV number, and they only have one other ready-made fight that can deliver a strong PPV number this entire year.

I listened to Live Audio Wrestling this Sunday because of the Tito interview they were doing. Tito talked about this fight and seemed totally on board with the idea of fighting Ken on the free show. So if Ken is game and Tito formally accepts an offer, then we will see it.

Also, the winners of The Ultimate Fighter will fight on the show. What I've heard is that the two finalists in each weight division (middleweight and light heavyweight) will square off to determine the winners.

Also on the show, Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg, a rematch of their UFC 45 title bout. That should be good, as their first fight was. It was short and very ground oriented, but good.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Awesome news for Loiseau, hopefully he picks up the win and gets another fight somewhere down the line

As for the Shamrock/Ortiz deal, does that mean Shamrock is going to have cut weight again? If so, he is only going to end up weaker going into the fight against Ortiz

--While Tito Ortiz said in two different interviews that he has agreed to face Ken Shamrock on the 4/9 live Spike TV special from Las Vegas, UFC officials have told us that Ortiz has gone into business for himself and they are not planning that fight for free TV. There is a lot of jockeying as Ortiz, by claiming he's agreed to the fight, then puts pressure on UFC to sign him, as his contract expires with Saturday's fight. If he loses, that's three losses in his last four matches. He has been offered some sort of a deal and hasn't signed it. Waiting until after the fight is a risk. While this match isn't a "Loser leaves town" match so to speak, the loser will be out of the main event picture most likely except for a possible Ortiz-Shamrock match since it's a money fight. Ortiz appears tonight on Best Damn Sports Show to promote the fight.

I think it's quite ridiculous that Ortiz hasn't even resigned with UFC as of yet. While him fighting Shamrock may be a money fight, that doesn't mean that if he loses on Saturday, he'll be back in the main event picture at all.

I sort of see it as someone beating Holyfield in a boxing match (not quite the same but you get the idea).

Well fuck me up the goat ass. I typed a decently big post, specifically on the Tito/Shamrock fight and Tito/Belfort fight and contract situation... my PC froze. So fuck, I ain't typing it all again

I've read on a few MMA message boards that DSE is interested in bringing Ortiz and/or Belfort to PRIDE, most likely to participate in this years Middleweight Grand Prix. If I was Dana White, I'd make an attempt to keep these guys, but Belfort has said he wants to fight Wanderlei Silva again and that ain't gonna happen in the UFC. As for Tito... well, if he losses to Vitor, he would have lost to his three biggest competitors and there really isn't anybody else he can fight at this time that would allow him to regain instant credibilty. A Tito/Ken Shamrock rematch would draw big numbers, whether it be on PPV or free TV (that's a different issue right now), but Ortiz has nothing to gain and all to lose if he does fight Ken. Still, a win over Ken would be good start to rebuilding his once high and mighty status in the UFC.

Will either guy resign? I'm betting on Tito resigning (nothing against the guy, I just don't see him taking his jock strap and going to PRIDE), but I can see Belfort going across the pond to PRIDE, at least to participate in the GP. If this happens and Vitor has a strong showing in the GP, I think he'll stay there for a while. The only problem is that PRIDE already has it's share of Brazilian Top Team Middleweights, Lil' Nog, Ricardo Arona, Punk Minowa, and Paulo Filho. All those guys are being considered or trying to get a spot in the GP as well (minus Punk). If Tito losses but ends up resigning (which is what I predict), don't expect him to be thrown into the title picture until he puts a few dubyas in his record. Still, he's a draw, a fan favorite, and a great fighter who is clearly going through a rough time (seriously, regardless of your opinion on him, he is an amazing fighter, his recent fights don't do him any justice).

More on the Ken Shamrock/Tito Ortiz "fight"... It's well known that there is no "off" button on both these guys mouthes, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Tito would go one step ahead of Zuffa and hype a fight that is nowhere near being signed yet. It also wouldn't surprise if Ken responds to this, further hyping this phantom bout ASAP. No disrespect to either of these guys, but their collective ego is 10 times the size of 90% of anyone else who has ever fought in the UFC.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

CroCop's fighting Coleman because Coleman said he could beat him, or somehting, so CroCop said he'll fight Coleman, to pretty much prepare for Fedor.

Hunt'll get thrown in against strikers though, they'll want to keep him looking good to help the Heavyweight division, which is still in a crisis (What is Fedor and Nog doing?)

Hunt'll beat CroCop, too.Hunt will only lose to the BJJ/grapplers more than anyhting, because that head is iron, the only way to beat him is on the ground, and thats even tougher than it seems, just ask Dan Bobish.

And don't trust Hunt saying he's having a good time, thats what he said before and a month after winning the K1 GP, then said he doesn't like fighting.

Heh, guess why Mark Hunt went to jail.He beat up an old guy for his shoes....true story!

Apparantly the shoes didn't even fit, also.

And I like Coleman, I applaud him for having the nuts to say he could beat Mirko quite confidently, but I just don't see it happening.

And I dunno about this Ortiz/Belfort fight....there's alot on Belfort's plate right now, expecting a son, his sister still being kidnapped (right?) and such.He could either channel that emotion and kill Tito like he was the one that kidnapped her, or he could be emotionally fucked.

If Hunt and CroCop ever face in PRIDE, I wouldn't be surprized if Hunt LETS CroCop Left Round him to the head repeatively.I could see Mirko knocking him down, but Hunt'll just laugh, and shake off the first few.

I wouldn't call Hunt a street fighter, more like a trained street fighter.Kid would KTFO Tank Abbott with ease in his prime.

I agree with you about Belfort, he'll have focus his emotion to work for him, not against him. Also, Vitor's sister has been gone for over a year, not that it makes it any better but I think he has had time to get over the intial sadness and frustration. I'm not saying it's not still a big deal, because it is. I'm saying he has had the time to clear his head of enough of it when preparing for a fight. I hope. He seems to have some goals set, so that's a good sign that his head is still in the game.

An upated card for PRIDE 29: Fists of Fury has been announced on the official PRIDE website....

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Mark Coleman

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Murilo Ninja

Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Yoshiki Takahashi

Sergey Kharitonov vs. Choi Mu Bae

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Alistair Overeem

Hiromitsu Kanehara vs. Mauricio Shogun

Tom Erikson vs. Fabricio Werdum

Hiro Yokoi vs. Mario Sperry

Wow, Igor's still around. Whatever happened to that guy? I haven't seen him since....Inferno or Bushido 2.

The card looks decent. My friend and I were arguing as to who would win in the Coleman-Cro Cop fight. He says Coleman would due to the fact that he would take it to the ground and make Cro Cop his bitch, I disagreed. We then both agreed to watch the tape of the Belfort-Ortiz fight and watch Belfort make Ortiz his bitch.

RESULTS OF UFC 51! SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SSEEN IT YET!

Well, I was ready to watch the show, but I ended up going to my cousins housee paerty instead. I,m still a little tipsy, so excuse my spelling mistakess if I make any. These resulyts are from my friend who watched the event....

Nick Diaz over Drew Fickett via TKO by strikes at 4:40 of the 1st round

Karo Parysian over Chris Lytle via judge decision

David Loiseau over Gideon Ray via doctor stoppage after the 1st round (YAY!)

Mike Kyle over James Irvin via KO at 1:55 of the first round

Paul Buentello over Justin Eilers via KO at 2:34 of the 1st round

Evan Tanner over David Terrell via TKO by strikes at :30 of the 1st round

Andrei Arlovski over Tim Sylvia via submission (ankle lock) at of the 1st round

Pete Sell over Phil via submission in the 3rd round (not sure about the time, but in the dying moments in the 3rd

Tito Ortiz over Vitor Belfort via split decision

credit: my buddy who watched the fight...

NOOOOOOO! MY BELFORT! DAMNIT! Apparently he was winning the fight until the middle of the second btu ended up gasssing and Tito took over! Shit. Fuck. My buddy told me that Tito called out Ken Shamrock and Randy Couture after the fight. I guess Tito will resign with UFC and Belfort will go off to PRIDE and try to get that fight with Silva. DAMN!!!!! Well, there were some good points by looking at the results. Tanner wins a wel deserved title and Loiseau picks up a win. But fuck, Vitor lost! Oh well, good for Tito. I was 1-2 in my predictions for Tanner/Terrell, Sylvia/Arlovski, and Tito/Belfort. Bah!

At UFC 52, Chuck Liddell will get Randy Couture in a rematch for the UFC LHW title. Since Chuck is my favorite fighter in the UFC, I'll be rooting the hell out of him.

SPOILERS OVER!