UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Decent night of fights overall. Prelims especially had some really exciting bouts (and some boring decisions that didn't get on air).

Nice to see Tyson McFighty pick up a convincing win...Franca looked like a completely different fighter in each round though, that was interesting.

Despite what a lot of people think of him, I'm an unabashed lover of Josh Koscheck, so that victory was enjoyable. I liked the challenge to Matt Hughes too - could easily be a co-headline bout, maybe the winner gets another shot at GSP? Not like he has any other challengers really...

Paul Daley shocked the fuck out of me.

Cro Cop looked like he can still take a beating, but he's just a little slower than he was in the past and thus he's in danger against a fighter of Junior's level.

And Vitor was the biggest surprise of all. Glad to see it, since I hate Franklin, but I was completely blown away by that performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome fight by Ben Henderson and Donald Cerrone. Just awesome. Those submissions were sick and Henderson showed great determination to gut them out and get out of them all. The ones in the last round looked like it was going to tear off Henderson's arms, but he somehow got out of those.

I liked how Reed Harris said loudly to Henderson and his cornerman to call out Jamie Varner for a December fight. And then Henderson did it pro-wrestling style. :shifty: But I hope Henderson kicks Varner's ass and becomes the undisputed WEC Lightweight champion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I already hate both of you.

Listen, you think Shogun won, that's cool and you have a legit argument. HOWEVER, there were MULTIPLE close rounds that could have went either way. I scored it 48-47 for Lyoto giving him rounds 1, 2, and 3. Based on PRIDE/DREAM judging I'd have given it to Shogun though. You can't sit there and say it's a terrible decision when a few of the rounds could have went either way.

I'll say this about the fight though: Goldberg and Rogan were god awful giving a verbal fellatio to Shogun the entire fight. There were too many times to could when they'd say, "good punch" "great kick" "good knee" when the strike was blocked, checked, missed entirely. Just an atrocious job by them tonight.

• Like 3

Hate me all you want, and rank my posts down if you like. But Shogun was robbed and I doubt many would disagree with me.

EDIT - Hell, Machida winning helped me win some serious money and I am still pissed at that decision.

Edited by 9 to 5
  • Like 2

That's fine. But it's completely idiotic to sit there and say it was a robbery. MULTIPLE CLOSE ROUNDS. Under 10-point must system I had 1, 2, and 3 for Machida with a couple of those being close rounds. Shogun clearly won 4 and 5. If you look at fighters post fight, Shogun, if you judge via DREAM/PRIDE total fight, Shogun --- under 10-point must system it was a VERY close fight that could have went either way. Saying otherwise is oblivious to scoring.

• Like 2

It was an absolute robbery, no doubt about it. Rua did everything he was supposed to do to stop Machida. He hurt him, countered him, and didn't let him control the fight. Rua flat out won the fight. As soon as Buffer said Machida's name, everyone here just lost it. Including a big Machida fan. We just stared at the TV in disgust and shock. Rua didn't win every round, but he won three of them. At this point I'm just fed up with the UFC. I'm getting Lesnar/Carwin and that's it for a good long time.

• Like 2

What Biggzy is saying is totally right. It's fine to disagree with the judges. I'm not sure I agree with them either (I'm not sure who I think won round 1 anymore, but the more I think of it the more I think it was Machida's). But the truth of the matter is that the last three rounds were pretty easy to call (3 for Lyoto, 4 and 5 for Shogun), but the first two were very close. It's not about cumulative effort; the first two rounds were close enough that it's really a judgment call (with valid arguments on either side) as to who won them. The judges just happened to have given both of the nail-biters to Machida. You can disagree with them, but to call the results bullshit would be to overstate the difference between the two fighters in the early rounds, of which there was very little.

• Like 2

Again, I'll try to slow down in explaining this for all of you. If you are looking at the fight as a whole, such as the scoring system in DREAM and PRIDE, it's a clear cut win for Shogun. In the USA and under unified MMA rules it's on a 10-point must system where you judge round-by-round. The first three rounds were close, and some could have went either way. Hence, the judges and myself and others scored the first three for Machida - which means he wins. But if you saw any for Shogun then he wins. Those rounds are completely debateable. Being debatebable does NOT make it a robbery. A robbery would be Shogun absolutely dominating every round and then Machida wins.

You have to know the difference in scoring fights. Period. Under a 10-point must system this fight was close and the decision is justifible.

• Like 1