World Cup 2010 Thread

I'm just going to miss Javier Zanetti because I first got into football at World Cup 98, so that will always seem like the peak to me.

And Zanetti is another part of it gone and there's hardly anyone else left. :crying:

When Giggs retires I will be so depressed.

I think the main reason I hate Manchester United so much right now is because they no longer are the team that won the Champions League in 98/99. And I loved them then.

Although I suppose there's also all the global brand bullshit and the terrible fans. Who knows?

Did this, by any chance, contribute to your love for Zanetti, metalman? shifty.gif

Gotta agree on the Scholesy/Giggsy point though - feels like they've been around forever, especially seeing as I'm from a Man U supporting family.

It's always weird for me when goalies hang up their boots. When Nigel Martyn, David Seaman and Steve Ogrizovic retired, I really missed seeing them on MOTD and the like. It's be the same for me now when the likes of Shay Given, Brad Friedel and Jussi Jaaskelainen pack it in - they've been knocking about the Premiership for so long, it's hard for me to imagine it without 'em.

Edited by badotori

haha I forgot about that Zanetti goal! Now I will double my love for him. >_>

I even like Gary Neville. Just because he's been around for a while. And because he is probably the most famous person in football that I have met. Or maybe Harry Redknapp. Maybe even James Fowler. :shifty:

Good lord. After seeing that Bergkamp goal again, I thought I'd check who was in the Dutch squad at the 1998 WC:

GK's

Edwin van der Sar -- Ed De Goey -- Ruud Hesp

Defenders

Michael Reiziger -- Jaap Stam -- Frank de Boer -- Arthur Numan -- Winston Bogarde -- Andre Ooijer

Midfielders

Wim Jonk -- Ronald de Boer -- Clarence Seedorf -- Phillip Cocu -- Bolo Zenden -- Marc Overmars -- Edgar Davids -- Giovanni van Bronckhorst -- Aron Winter

Strikers

Dennis Bergkamp -- Patrick Kluivert -- Pierre van Hooijdonk -- Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

...How the hell did this team not win?!

• Like 1

Good lord. After seeing that Bergkamp goal again, I thought I'd check who was in the Dutch squad at the 1998 WC:

GK's

Edwin van der Sar -- Ed De Goey -- Ruud Hesp

Defenders

Michael Reiziger -- Jaap Stam -- Frank de Boer -- Arthur Numan -- Winston Bogarde -- Andre Ooijer

Midfielders

Wim Jonk -- Ronald de Boer -- Clarence Seedorf -- Phillip Cocu -- Bolo Zenden -- Marc Overmars -- Edgar Davids -- Giovanni van Bronckhorst -- Aron Winter

Strikers

Dennis Bergkamp -- Patrick Kluivert -- Pierre van Hooijdonk -- Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

...How the hell did this team not win?!

Unsure why that Dutch team failed to win I went and checked the France squad at World Cup 98:

Zinedine Zidane

21 other guys

That's why. >_>

Actually, it was Brazil, semi-finals .. penalties.

Well, excuse me, for actually answering a question with a legit answer, as opposed to your obviously funnier sarcastic one.

• Like 1

:lol:

Anyway, Argentina probably have the second most talented pool of players to choose from for me (defence probably an exception), Spain obviously being first. It's just a shame their manager is such a fucking moron. I'd love to see what a decent manager could do with the likes of Messi, Higuain, Aguero and Tevez to choose from. And their midfield really isn't too shabby either. Well, with Zanetti and Cambiasso it wouldn't be.

• Admin

Holland Squad: Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Sander Boschker (FC Twente), Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht); Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Celtic), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (HSV), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Andre Ooijer (PSV); Otman Bakkal (PSV), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Wout Brama (FC Twente), Orlando Engelaar (PSV), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), David Mendes da Silva (AZ), Stijn Schaars (AZ), Wesley Sneijder (Inter), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid), Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax), Ibrahim Afellay (PSV); Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (AZ), Eljero Elia (HSV), Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

No van Nistelrooy then.

Unsure why that Dutch team failed to win I went and checked the France squad at World Cup 98:

Zinedine Zidane

21 other guys

That's why. >_>

Aidane wasn't even the Best French player in that World Cup though... You'll find it was either Lilian Thuram or scarily enough Stephane Gui'varch (sp?)

And the Terry thing means 2 things:

1) BALLS!

2) MOAR LEDLEY