World Cup 2010 Thread

I was discussing this with someone at work, but it seems funny that only two or so years on from when we could say that with all the team problems, at least the defence was rock solid, the defence has arguably become the biggest issue. Injuries, players out of form, not one really solid keeper.

Bah.

Really bad for England, but hey karma's a bitch eh JT?

I wouldn't be too forlorn if he is out though, Fendinand, King, Dawson, Upson and Carragher are all more than passable depsite how shit Carra has been and King's fitness issues. I'd imagine if ther's even a small doubt about his fitness, he's not going because Capello won't make a similar mistake to Eriksson's striker debacle in 06.

Also, Wayne Bridge return anybody?

Pah they were already on the beach by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. THey knew Arsenal were 3-0 up so the game effectively became pointless for Spurs....And indeed they ended up point less.

It was an easy cheap shot that I had to have :P

England and Chelsea defender John Terry has been taken to hospital for a scan on his right foot - less than a month before the start of the World Cup.

The 29-year-old suffered the injury in training for Saturday's FA Cup final at Wembley against Portsmouth, where he was expected to captain the side.

The club website said Terry left the training ground "walking freely in a protective boot".

Chelsea added they expected to receive the results of a scan on Thursday.

England coach Fabio Capello named his 30-man preliminary World Cup squad on Tuesday, with Terry one of the defenders included, along with fellow centre-halves Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher, Michael Dawson, Ledley King and Matthew Upson.

If Terry were sidelined for any length of time, it would be a major problem for Capello.

Ferdinand, who replaced Terry as England captain earlier this year after Terry was stripped of the captaincy for allegations about his personal life, has had an injury-plagued season.

And Ferdinand's Manchester United colleague striker Wayne Rooney suffered ankle trouble towards the end of the domestic season.

Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry is England's biggest concern after being sidelined for four weeks with ankle ligament damage, while David Beckham misses the tournament altogether because of an Achilles injury sustained in March.

"The fear will be that it's a metatarsal injury, the small bone in the foot which England players have suffered from in the past - Beckham and Rooney are just two of the players who have sustained metatarsal injuries before big tournaments" said BBC sports news correspondent Dan Roan.

"Now the fear will be that Terry has suffered something similar. He was taken away from training and had to wear a protective cast, he was walking freely but that doesn't mean the injury's not serious.

"Fabio Capello will be praying he's not another injury concern - he's already got concerns over Ferdinand and King, the last thing he needs is a concern over Terry."

Credit BBC Football

I'll be devastated if he doesn't make it! I think he's just about as important as Rooney, for different reasons, obviously.

Edited by new_era