World Cup 2010 Thread

If he played someone like King instead of Barry, it would basically be like what we play now anyway. Just the DM would be sitting deeper so as to become an extra centre back, and he'd probably push up anyway when we had the ball... King's played DM for England before as well anyway. I don't see it making that much difference to be honest, the players would likely just gravitate to the positions they play in now when we attack.

EDIT: Unless he went the route of sacrificing Lennon for the extra centre back. That'd make it harder to break teams down. And would be shit.

Edited by Pesci

The amount of links between them is incredible. Boateng injures Ballacks ankle. Rules him out of the world cup. Then Boatengs brother gets called up to the Germany squad. Meanwhile he gets called up to the Ghana squad for the World Cup. Who's Group are they in? Germanys!

Is this the first time brothers have played against each other at a world cup potentially?

Very possibly. I man there aren't a lot of international-standard brothers, nevermind ones with dual nationality.

I'm disappointed for Ballack, this is probably his last chance to play in the World Cup and he missed the 2002 final already with suspension.

So I was looking at Group A and I realized there's a good chance that France might not make it past the group stage again.

For me, they're playing Mexico (who're a good solid team), Uruguay (who are no pushovers) and South Africa (the host nation). It's all up in the air really.

And even if they do make it past the group stage, they'll probably finish runners up and play Argentina and get knocked out.

...We know.

Triesman didn't exactly accuse them. He said it in 'private' conversation which got recorded and sold out to a newspaper. As we know, the English press loves nothing better than to sabotage their own country for money, right before they launch all their SUPPORT ENGLAND paraphernalia in a couple of weeks' time.

As for the actual suggestion of corruption...well, yeah. Whether this particular case is true or not - there's trouble with match-fixing all over Europe. To think it's not also happening anywhere on the international level would be naive.

I fancy France to do a little bit better than expected this time out. I'd worry about the keeper but they have the players to put out a strong starting eleven. I think Argentina, Italy and potentially Brazil will disappoint more. Brazil moreso through their playing style than results.

If this is Englands best chance to win in recent memory, then I think it's more through the decrease in quality from other big teams than us being particularly good. Looks like a great tournament though, national football has balanced out a lot in the last four years.

If you're France, why worry about the keeper? I mean, I know Lloris is young and doesn't have a lot of international experience, but the kid's been dynamo in big games. When it matters, he has seemed to come up big, time and time again. I can't comment on a lot of his stuff from the domestic campaign, but for France and the Champs League, he certainly impressed me. I'd be more worried about the other end, scoring the goals. An aging Henry, an out of form Ribery? Who is going to come up big for the side? Anelka and Malouda certainly could, but they need other options in the attack.

Edited by Szumi

Pretty much for the lack of experience. I'm not a coach, but the three things I look for in a side going to tournament is an experienced keeper, a solid centre back pairing and a firing striker. He's been solid in goal, despite the red card in qualifying, but I'd prefer to have someone with a bit more experience in big international games. I fancy Henry and Anelka to make something of their likely last World Cup. Probably going against the grain, but I think their recent lackluster performances might have people underestimating them.

So I was looking at Group A and I realized there's a good chance that France might not make it past the group stage again.

For me, they're playing Mexico (who're a good solid team), Uruguay (who are no pushovers) and South Africa (the host nation). It's all up in the air really.

And even if they do make it past the group stage, they'll probably finish runners up and play Argentina and get knocked out.

Mexico aren't that solid. Under Sven, they really showed their weaknesses as a team. I'd definately put South Africa and Uruguay through.

Mexico aren't that solid. Under Sven, they really showed their weaknesses as a team. I'd definately put South Africa and Uruguay through.

You clearly haven't had any new info on the Mexico squad, as they got rid of Sven a year ago. Under Javier Aguirre, though we aren't what the team used to be, we are better than with Sven or Hugo Sanchez.

South Africa is qualifying, that is for sure. The question is wether they will go as 1st or 2nd, and with who. I doubt France makes it past the groups, not because of their team but other stuff.

If Mexico draws South Africa in the first game, and Uruguay (somehow) wins, I think Uruguay might be the one qualifying instead of Mexico, but if Mexico wins and Uruguay loses the first game, Mexico will qualify.

Edited by Powerhart

I'm not convinced about this 'South Africa definitely going through' business. No doubt home advantage will make a difference, but I dunno if it's enough of a difference for a side that is the worst in the tournament. It's not an easy group that, and I think France and Mexico might edge through regardless of where this tournament is being held.

It's a tight group for sure, but I have it; France, Mexico, S. Africa, Uruguay.

Not seen too much of Uruguay first hand, but a look at their results in qualifying looks like they're an inconsistent side. I don't buy the South Africa going through stuff either. I think they're going to be the first home nation out in the group stages, with the whole of Africa's hopes pinned on Cameroon, Nigeria and the Ivory Coast (who are my picks to do the best out of the bunch). I'd pick Mexico out of an easily interchangeable three teams.

With the way Forlan has been playing he might be able to qualify Uruguay on his own.

I seriously doubt the FIFA/referees won't help out South Africa to qualify to the next round (specially with the way France qualified to this Cup, I have a feeling France will get screwed somehow and won't make it past the group) like they did with Korea back in '02, at the very least they will make it past the group stage. So that would leave one spot for France, Uruguay or Mexico.

I'm not sure about South Africa going through but their results will definitely be crucial to how the group plays out. For example, if they draw with France and Uruguay and lose to Mexico then it'll put Mexico through with ease but complicate things for South Africa and the other two teams in that group.