General boxing thread

EddieG

Mayweather does it to the extreme to be fair.

And my only point was that I don't think it should be scored like that, irrespective of how long it has or hasn't been happening.

You're supposed to score "effective aggression", unfortunately Mayweather doesn't show any aggression. He gets points for holding and running. He'll never go down as one of the all time greats because of that, in my opinion.

Well that's not even his biggest knock. When Pacquiao was clearly the p4p king and beating the only other contenders to the throne Mayweather was off taking easier opponents. Suddenly this fight happens 3-4 years after Manny's prime ended, no big surprise.

No idea where Boxing even goes from this. There are no big fights left. I'm sure there are some good match-ups left for the purists and those who are more in the know when it comes to the sport, but for the general public, there's nothing left. Best thing for the sport would have been Floyd either winning by SD or losing outright. At least they could have stretched a re-match out of it.

• Like 1

Boxing will still be strong internationally(Latin America, etc.) I'm sure, but this was probably its last big hoorah in the U.S. MMA pretty much offers everything it does in a much better package anyway.

I understand that Mayweather fought the way that boxing matches are supposed to be scored - but for fuck sakes, I do agree with Manny that he won that fight as most people should define a fight. Just complete and utter tripe, dancing around the ring, throwing on fucking headlocks.

Blah. It was never like I was a boxing fan, and as Branch said - where the he'll do they go from here anyways? Boxing has got to be dead.

Boxing will still be strong internationally(Latin America, etc.) I'm sure, but this was probably its last big hoorah in the U.S. MMA pretty much offers everything it does in a much better package anyway.

One weight class, one champion. It's such a huge benefit for UFC. And the logical progression from top-to-bottom.

• Like 2

That and MMA is just so much more versatile and exciting. It also feels less old school and sleazy. Boxing just makes me think of cigar smoke-filled auditoriums with no air conditioning in the 1950s or something.

Is Floyd retiring in September? How can you stop at 49 wins when 50 is such a nice round number!

49-0 is also the record of Rocky Marciano so it holds some historical significance, but yeah 50 would be a better place to stop, though I'd rather see it Mayweather end at 48-1 just cause.

LaMotta went 14–0–1 (3 KOs) as a middleweight in his first fifteen bouts before losing a highly controversial split decision to Jimmy Reeves in Reeves' hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. Chaos erupted after the decision was announced. Fights broke out around the ring and the crowd continued to boo for 20 minutes. The arena's organist tried to calm down the crowd by playing the "Star Spangled Banner".

That's boxing. They tried to calm everybody down with the Star Spangled Banner. I want to die and be re-born in the 1940s.

• Like 4

Boxing was the shit when you'd crowd around a bar and listen to the fight on the radio and watch some guy lose his life savings when someone took a dive.

God damn it. Liston cost me everything.

• Like 2

I feel like I would enjoy boxing more of I were old enough to really enjoy it's heyday back then or hell even Tyson's run or whatever. Unfortunately, I have grown up with this corpse of a sport.

LaMotta went 14–0–1 (3 KOs) as a middleweight in his first fifteen bouts before losing a highly controversial split decision to Jimmy Reeves in Reeves' hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. Chaos erupted after the decision was announced. Fights broke out around the ring and the crowd continued to boo for 20 minutes. The arena's organist tried to calm down the crowd by playing the "Star Spangled Banner".

That's boxing. They tried to calm everybody down with the Star Spangled Banner. I want to die and be re-born in the 1940s.

Yeah, nowadays playing the Star Spangled Banner would probably just offend somebody.

• Like 1

I feel like I would enjoy boxing more of I were old enough to really enjoy it's heyday back then or hell even Tyson's run or whatever. Unfortunately, I have grown up with this corpse of a sport.

Boxing's appeal, really since Tyson-Holyfield II, has been so much around the concept of marketing. We're told "these is a challenger for Mayweather (or Pacquiao)" but because of that for nearly a decade the entire road led to this fight and everyone else has been ignored. Before Lewis-Holyfield II there is this almost seamless transition in the heavyweight division, which was always the marquee division. The "next big fight" was always just waiting in the wings. After that it just doesn't look the same. Since then, 15 years ago, you've had De La Hoya-Mayweather, De La Hoya-Pacquiao, and Mayweather-Pacquiao as a "trilogy" of fights but instead of happening within a 2-3 year span the conclusion came 5 years too late and everyone around them has been beaten. Nobody is marketable, there aren't great American boxers anymore. And when you can't market your sport to the world's largest economy, well...

Maybe if this fight happened in 2009 or 2010 it would have worked out differently for boxing, but instead the last time they get the entire country's eyes on boxing it's at the very end of both of their careers. Mayweather isn't going to lose and he'll retire undefeated, and a bunch of no-names will start fighting over his titles. They never got all eyes on boxing in their primes.

Unless a great wave of Asian boxers emerges there's no market beyond Latin America for boxing to maintain a foothold. And that's a big market, but not big enough for what boxing used to have.

• Like 1