General boxing thread

EddieG

Not excusing Mayweather's behavior or Triple H's support. He's by all accounts an awful person. Just saying that if you're going to target Triple H for it, you might as well stop watching anything all together (whether that be sports or movies or what have you) because there is more than likely going to be a Mayweather fan involved with it. She also vehemently supports Stone Cold as her favorite wrestler, which is odd.

Not watching WWE because Xavier Woods or whoever was rooting for Floyd Mayweather in private would be silly. HHH is one of the most prominent public figures and has a position of power in the company and is publicly announcing his support. It's a bit different. And although Beadle did say in a tweet in 2012 that Austin was her favorite wrestler, I'm having trouble finding this "vehement support". Plus, I don't see how supporting one shitty person means you can't ever say anything about other shitty people. Or why it's a bad thing that she's using her position of influence to try to erode support for a domestic abuser, whether she's hypocritical or not.

• Like 2

Again, I never said going after Mayweather is bad. Just be consistent. She's a big Tom Brady fan. Brady supports Mayweather. She cohosts with Marcellus Wiley, who supports Mayweather. Both pretty influential people. Singling out Triple H for supporting his friend comes across as petty if you aren't going to go after everyone else on that level who does it, including your own employer. ESPN does a lot more to support Mayweather with press conferences and promos than WWE does via a Triple H tweet.

Again, I never said going after Mayweather is bad. Just be consistent. She's a big Tom Brady fan. Brady supports Mayweather. She cohosts with Marcellus Wiley, who supports Mayweather. Both pretty influential people. Singling out Triple H for supporting his friend comes across as petty if you aren't going to go after everyone else on that level who does it, including your own employer. ESPN does a lot more to support Mayweather with press conferences and promos than WWE does via a Triple H tweet.

God damn it this post makes me mad but I'm having trouble forming real words here. So...yeah

• Like 1

I genuinely didn't know. Now I'm incredibly bemused by the amount of people who claim to like him. Apologies for the flippant example which now seems highly inappropriate. Erk.

Hang on, he's been doing this for over a decade and people are still buying ppvs? What the fuck is wrong with people?

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly
  • Like 1

God damn it this post makes me mad but I'm having trouble forming real words here. So...yeah

Look, I'm not aiming to offend, and I'm sorry if I upset any of you guys. Mayweather is a scumbag who deserves no support, and my not supporting Beadle does not equate to supporting Floyd Mayweather. That said, if you work for the very vehicle that is responsible for his fame and fortune, I am not going to respect you going after another organization for a Tweet. Start with Stephen A. Smith and all the others who regularly fellate Mayweather on television every single day. I'll leave it at that as I realize I'm in the minority on this.

Look, I'm not aiming to offend, and I'm sorry if I upset any of you guys. Mayweather is a scumbag who deserves no support, and my not supporting Beadle does not equate to supporting Floyd Mayweather. That said, if you work for the very vehicle that is responsible for his fame and fortune, I am not going to respect you going after another organization for a Tweet. Start with Stephen A. Smith and all the others who regularly fellate Mayweather on television every single day. I'll leave it at that as I realize I'm in the minority on this.

But she does go after them all the time Stephen A. included and she brings up how awful Floyd is on air pretty much every single time she is allowed to. I just think it's bullshit that you say she can't be displeased with one person/organization without going after every single person she has to work with. Even though she almost always does to the point of possibly getting in trouble or losing her job.

• Like 2

I genuinely didn't know. Now I'm incredibly bemused by the amount of people who claim to like him. Apologies for the flippant example which now seems highly inappropriate. Erk.

Hang on, he's been doing this for over a decade and people are still buying ppvs? What the fuck is wrong with people?

People are desperate to see him get knocked out and knocked off his pedestal. That will never happen though now, Manny was the last hope.

I guess the HHH stuff goes hand-in-hand with Mayweather's WWE appearance. They just created a documentary on him for The Network, I guess he has to show support. WWE just love backing scumbag boxers, it seems.

I'm not saying she can't be displeased. She's within her rights to stop watching WWE over that regardless of whether or not I agree with it. That said, she has the contacts, get in contact with HHH and tell him how you feel personally. You'd get more accomplished that way outside of looking brave on social media. The whole public condemnation thing is what I have a problem with. If she has publicly condemned Stephen A., then good. I unfortunately haven't caught it. but he's an obnoxious asshole.

Sp Floud fights just suck then?

Honestly...yeah.

Usually he wins by decision.

The Ricky Hatton fight was a lot of fun though, that was...fuck that was a long time ago. I thought Hatton had him to, wish Hatton had smashed his face, but Mayweather ended up winning.

I remember that as the nigth my mum had her stroke.

"Why doesn't she go after Stephen A Smith then?" when she has makes it pretty clear your being disingenuous and just looking for a reason to dislike her. ESPN has a relationship with Floyd Mayweather because he is the best athlete in a sport and ESPN covers sports. WWE has no need of a relationship with Mayweather and therefore their promotion of him, and using him to promote themselves is gross.

HHH being publicly condemned over this is a good thing. "Floyds an asshole, but people who don't care about that should be left alone and if you want to criticize people who support them you have to criticize every single person who has ever done a bad thing too or you suck" is a really weird stance.

• Like 2

"Why doesn't she go after Stephen A Smith then?" when she has makes it pretty clear your being disingenuous and just looking for a reason to dislike her. ESPN has a relationship with Floyd Mayweather because he is the best athlete in a sport and ESPN covers sports. WWE has no need of a relationship with Mayweather and therefore their promotion of him, and using him to promote themselves is gross.

In fairness he's said he didn't know about that, and ESPN feature Mayweather for exactly the same reason WWE do, ratings and money. They aren't performing a public service.

ESPN pretending the best boxer in the world doesn't exist isn't possible. Oftentimes they criticize him, and they've been a big part of the exposure Floyds domestic assault has gotten in the past year, especially Beadle. WWE doesn't need to promote Floyd Mayweather, he doesn't work for them, they are not a boxing organization, they are not an organization that covers boxing, they don't need to comment on him. The fact that they are using him for self promotion is shitty, and should be called out publicly by people in prominent positions.

• Like 1

HHH being publicly condemned over this is a good thing. "Floyds an asshole, but people who don't care about that should be left alone and if you want to criticize people who support them you have to criticize every single person who has ever done a bad thing too or you suck" is a really weird stance.

I've never had a problem with Beadle before, and I've never looked for a reason to dislike her. I loved Sportsnation when it was her and Cowherd. I just find her stance to be hypocritical, and I think it's largely driven by being denied entry by Mayweather, which admittedly was a dick move. You disagree, fair enough. That said, just because ESPN "has" to cover Mayweather doesn't mean they have to excuse employees like Stephen A. Smith running around praising him as the greatest ever. There's a pretty thick line between covering and promoting. I mean just the other day Beadle and crew were filming in Vegas putting fans in "money machines" full of dollar bills with Mayweather's face on them.

Not excusing Mayweather's behavior or Triple H's support. He's by all accounts an awful person. Just saying that if you're going to target Triple H for it, you might as well stop watching anything all together (whether that be sports or movies or what have you) because there is more than likely going to be a Mayweather fan involved with it. She also vehemently supports Stone Cold as her favorite wrestler, which is odd.

Not watching WWE because Xavier Woods or whoever was rooting for Floyd Mayweather in private would be silly. HHH is one of the most prominent public figures and has a position of power in the company and is publicly announcing his support. It's a bit different. And although Beadle did say in a tweet in 2012 that Austin was her favorite wrestler, I'm having trouble finding this "vehement support". Plus, I don't see how supporting one shitty person means you can't ever say anything about other shitty people. Or why it's a bad thing that she's using her position of influence to try to erode support for a domestic abuser, whether she's hypocritical or not.

For the most part, I agree, but glass houses and stones.

EDIT: The fact that WWE has had a working relationship with Mayweather for a few years now also makes her stance look like grandstanding.

• Like 1