General boxing thread

EddieG

Until the build to this fight there wasn't as in-depth a look at exactly what Mayweather had done. It's a post-Ray Rice world we live in, and a lot of "personal" incidents for athletes are now being looked at and investigated in much greater detail by everyone.

There's a growing movement to hold athletes much more accountable for their actions, so people are taking a more vocal approach in presenting this. Couple that with the last few months of people realizing just how big of a shithead Mayweather has been and it culminates in Beadle saying this. She's a public personality, she can draw awareness to it by saying "she's done with WWE because HHH supports Mayweather" and not have it affect her work life. She, however, can't refuse to support ESPN because they employ Stephen A. or refuse to talk to Tom Brady since those are parts of her job. So she took the opportunity that was there to make a statement, and hopefully others follow suit.

• Like 2

And Beadle was friendly with Mayweather last year, and apologized for it when the details of how shitty he was started to get heavy mainstream exposure.

I don't get why any possible hypocrisy on Beadles part is the issue. I don't think she's being a hypocrite, but I also don't care if she is. She's right.

• Like 1

She is right about Mayweather, but it feels disingenuous if I just saw her that same day on television on a show where they were grabbing and counting dollar bills with Mayweather's face on them. I'm not going agree with her calling for Triple H's head because she's upset Mayweather personally fucked her over.

I'm not trying to argue on the side of a wife beater, but I knew about his history, and I don't work in sports journalism.

I actually like Beadle, but this looks like an attention grab. Floyd is a terrible human being, but this hasn't exactly been a secret, so, while it's cool and all that she changed opinion on him when the wind changed, it isn't a good look to be calling out other people.

I'm not even saying they don't deserve to be called out, I just don't think she's the right person to do it.

Not a secret but also not covered with any teeth by conventional sports media for a long time, especially the boxing press who have spent years swaddling Mayweather because he's the golden goose.

If ISIS made a video about what a piece of shit Floyd Mayweather is, I would consider the source but it probably wouldn't change the veracity of their argument either. I think as many people as possible should be talking about his *other* fight record and condemning it, even if their intention is more personal than altruistic.

• Like 1

Yeah, before 2014 I vaguely knew he had been charged with some kind of domestic thing but wasn't really aware of it. Now I've read his sons victim impact statement. I've seen his disgusting reactions to being called out for it being entirely non apologetic while barely denying it. Being a fan of Floyd Mayweather in 2013 is excusable. Being one in 2015 isn't.

It's interesting to think how public perception has changed regarding the decisions made by professional athletes in their personal lives. Back when Mike Tyson made his comeback after serving a prison sentence for rape, he was billed as a bit of a naughty boy, and he's now widely revered as one of boxing's great characters. I'm sure that if Mayweather had been boxing then, his domestic abuse record would have been spent under the rug to a much greater degree than they are now, whilst Tyson may never have been allowed to fight again if he had been convicted for rape today. It's good that some degree of progress is being made, but it also makes me wonder what famous sports stars might have been able to get away with in the past.

She is right about Mayweather, but it feels disingenuous if I just saw her that same day on television on a show where they were grabbing and counting dollar bills with Mayweather's face on them. I'm not going agree with her calling for Triple H's head because she's upset Mayweather personally fucked her over.

Fuck man you don't even know what you're talking about with that last sentence. She has had problems with Floyd way before this. Plus Floyd dollars? Really?? Should she just quit then?

That's odd, I always thought the perception was that Tyson probably wasn't guilty of the rape but prison wasn't a bad thing because he was beating the shit out of his missus?

• Like 1

Well Ali was part of the Nation of Islam and refused to go to Vietnam, getting himself suspended from the sport and becoming the most controversial athlete in the country at the time. But hindsight heralds him for things that go beyond being the greatest heavyweight boxer who ever lived. Meanwhile Tyson's controversies are never going to be celebrated like that, but we have hindsight with him as well and for a percentage of people there's this sympathy for him because of what we've learned about his life before fame, during fame, and after fame. So he doesn't get a "free pass" because it gets brought up but society has allowed him to move on. Mayweather's considered a serial batterer and hasn't shown any remorse for his actions, and we know his upbringing isn't tragic like Tyson's, so hindsight isn't shaping up to treat him well at all.

To summarize, as time passed Ali became a hero, Tyson became forgiven, and Mayweather will probably only become more and more vilified.

• Like 2

Fuck man you don't even know what you're talking about with that last sentence. She has had problems with Floyd way before this. Plus Floyd dollars? Really?? Should she just quit then?

She has had problems with Floyd before this, but she's also known of HHH's relationship with him before this as well if she is half the WWE fan she appeared to be. This big stand against WWE happened to occur after she had her entry denied to the event. The Floyd dollars illustrate the point that she was participating in the promotion of the fight and Floyd just hours before. We can get into whether or not she had to do that for her job, but if she covers the fight that night I doubt she's calling Triple H out on Twitter.

I think I'm done with this argument because it's in circles at this point. I'm still very confused by it. Everyone agrees Floyd is a shitty person. I think everyone agrees that HHH shouldn't be so publicly supportive of him. Why are people attacking the messenger or worried about her motives or questioning every decision she's ever made? It's stupid.

• Like 2

It just boils down to doing the right thing for the wrong reasons for me. I feel like she wouldn't be doing this if she hadn't been personally slighted by Mayweather as she was fully participating in promoting the event beforehand. Olbermann boycotting the event a week beforehand I can respect. Beadle saying it after she gets denied entry and dragging others into it I can't.

I agree we should probably just move on.

It just boils down to doing the right thing for the wrong reasons for me. I feel like she wouldn't be doing this if she hadn't been personally slighted by Mayweather as she was fully participating in promoting the event beforehand. Olbermann boycotting the event a week beforehand I can respect. Beadle saying it after she gets denied entry and dragging others into it I can't.

I agree we should probably just move on.

My issue is that she's making herself the story and journalists aren't supposed to do that.

• Like 1

Floyd made her the story when he banned her from the fight. You guys are making her the story by getting bent out of shape with her sending a tweet with something she decided to do. She didn't call for a boycott of WWE she said that SHE was going to stop watching.

• Like 1

The Tweet was a public "fuck you for not taking my side" to WWE either way. She doesn't literally say boycott, but it sends the same message to her followers: stop supporting this awful company. And WWE is a fucking wretched company, but we've had things like the Bill Demott debacle occur yet a tweet about Floyd Mayweather from his known friend is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Should HHH have tweeted it? No. He was far from the only one but no. Still, it makes little sense to quit over that unless you have a personal stake in the matter. It's not some great moral stand. It's sour grapes because Mayweather fucked her over masked as a moral stand. If she'd be honest about that I'd have no problem with it.

Can we stop now? I understand you're upset about it (which I'm genuinely sorry we don't see eye-to-eye on) but we're running in circles.

The Tweet was a public "fuck you for not taking my side" to WWE either way. She doesn't literally say boycott, but it sends the same message to her followers: stop supporting this awful company. And WWE is a fucking wretched company, but we've had things like the Bill Demott debacle occur yet a tweet about Floyd Mayweather from his known friend is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Should HHH have tweeted it? No. He was far from the only one but no. Still, it makes little sense to quit over that unless you have a personal stake in the matter. It's not some great moral stand. It's sour grapes because Mayweather fucked her over masked as a moral stand. If she'd be honest about that I'd have no problem with it.

Can we stop now? I understand you're upset about it (which I'm genuinely sorry we don't see eye-to-eye on) but we're running in circles.

No we can't stop