General boxing thread

EddieG

So theres some boxing on HBO tonight. Will it be better than that garbage last week? I am actually interested in watching some good fights. Kirkland is fighting so that's something :P

I do believe the technical term is "knocked the fuck out."

Roy Jones Jr. had a great line during Alvarez/Kirkland saying "Last week was a boxing match, this is a fight." Describes it perfectly. I really wish HBO would not interview fighters who have just been knocked out. Seeing Max Kellerman interview Kirkland was just uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up Alexander Povetkin takes on Mike Perez on BoxNation in the UK (ESPN3 are showing it in the US, I believe) in the next hour or so. Should be a decent heavyweight clash and the win will likely become a top contender for the WBC Heavyweight Title. Povetkin is a heavy favourite with the bookies but Perez could run him close.

Also, as I won't be around here tomorrow, a heads up for tomorrow night as well, as James DeGale takes on Andre Dirrel in Boston, Mass., for the vacant IBF Super-Middleweight Title. That fight will be on Sky Sports 1 and should start around 21:30 GMT (NBC in the US, 16:30 EST). Fun match to watch out for on the undercard as Edwin Rodriguez takes on Craig Baker, really could go either way in my view.

Really entertaining fight. DeGale should have pushed the issue more after the first three rounds, and credit to Dirrell for getting back in it, but I think DeGale deserved to just about shade it. He needs to learn a fair few things from this bout, and I can't say I'm entirely confident that he will, but for now, he can be pleased that he got the job done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Five-weight world champion Floyd Mayweather has been stripped of the WBO welterweight belt won from Manny Pacquiao in May.

The 38-year-old failed to pay the WBO a $200,000 (£128,000) sanctioning fee by the 3 July deadline.

Mayweather had been expected to relinquish the title by now, saying he planned to do so following his points victory over Pacquiao.

Fellow American Timothy Bradley will now become the full belt holder.

After Mayweather defeated Pacquiao, he had declared he would vacate all his titles in order to give younger fighters the chance to win belts.

"The WBO World Championship Committee is allowed no other alternative but to cease to recognize Mr Floyd Mayweather Jr as the WBO welterweight champion of the world and vacate his title." said a statement on wboboxing.com.

Mayweather, who still holds the WBA and WBC belts at welterweight, has until 20 July to appeal against the decision.

He is expected to stage one more fight in Las Vegas on 12 September, although he has yet to name the opponent.

The WBO created a vacant interim welterweight belt for the 27 June fight between Bradley and Jessie Vargas.

In other boxing news, Klitschko vs. Fury is happening later this year in Germany.