General boxing thread

EddieG

Peterson was quick to offer the rematch before the whole appeals process went down, so this is really the organization just rubber-stamping a fight that both guys want. Be interested to see where the fight happens and how Khan is received after all of this.

Bob Arum is telling Floyd Mayweather's people that a Pacquiao fight can happen, but not May 5th at MGM. Arum feels they can get a bigger venue and a much bigger gate if they go for late May or early June. I'm skeptical of anything surrounding this fight getting made anymore - both sides seem to understand that they can fight anyone else and make money while putting off the meeting endlessly.

Bob Arum is telling Floyd Mayweather's people that a Pacquiao fight can happen, but not May 5th at MGM. Arum feels they can get a bigger venue and a much bigger gate if they go for late May or early June. I'm skeptical of anything surrounding this fight getting made anymore - both sides seem to understand that they can fight anyone else and make money while putting off the meeting endlessly.

Yeah, this just feels like Mayweather's camp getting the attention back onto the fight after Floyd's jail time. The only time this fight happens is when one or both are well past their prime.

Amir Khan says he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather by the end of 2012 following a spring rematch with Lamont Peterson.

Khan's comments come after the World Boxing Association ordered a rematch between Khan and Peterson, after the Briton claimed ringside wrongdoing.

"I have a 10-week training camp so I envisage the Peterson [rematch] to be in April or May," Khan told Sky Sports.

"But my ideal opponent is Floyd Mayweather. Hopefully I can fight him before the end of the year."

Khan said he would never fight Manny Pacquiao, whom Khan trains with, but believes a fight with Mayweather is realistic.

But the Bolton fighter remains focused on proving that his defeat by Peterson last month was illegitimate.

The WBA has confirmed the rematch will take place within 180 days of the initial bout.

"I want to get that rematch and beat him,'' Khan told BBC Sport. "I want a fair fight, somewhere neutral like Las Vegas or Los Angeles, with neutral judges and a neutral referee.

"Credit to Peterson because he fought a good fight, but I will go out there a second time and knock him out convincingly," he added.

Putting aside all of this Peterson, which has annoyed me no end, I still can't believe he thinks he actually stands a chance against Mayweather.

The Khan-Peterson hearing has been cancelled because Golden Boy Promotions have withdrawn their appeal.

So by the looks of it, a likely scenario could be that Peterson will relinquish the WBA title and then go on and defend the IBF title, most likely for more money than he could get for the Khan fight, since Khan still wants the lion's share of the purse despite being the challenger.

Edited by regia

Peterson's camp intend to appeal against last week's World Boxing Association decision to order a rematch of the fight.

But BBC Sport understands talks over a rematch will be held on Wednesday.

Golden Boy, led by CEO Richard Schaefer, has offered Peterson a 50% split on the revenues from any new fight.

The promoter said in a statement it "still hopes that Mr Peterson will honour earlier statements in which he asserted that he would be happy to agree to a rematch."

"In that vein, Golden Boy Promotions and Team Khan would agree to a 50-50 split of worldwide revenues derived from a rematch [including those derived from the United Kingdom] should Mr Peterson agree to participate," he said.

After everything that has gone on I really hope there is an immediate rematch, not that I think Khan deserves one or anything I just think it'll be an awesome fight.

• 3 weeks later...

Mayweather/Cotto is signed for May 5th at MGM. Commence discussion of "X is ducking Y".

I think it could be a good battle, but I suspect Mayweather will win it in his usual fashion. Cotto comes on aggressively and might overwhelm him in patches, but he's also very easy to hit and on the decline - Mayweather will eat up an opponent like that in most instances.

I think this time the argument is clearly Pacman is ducking Mayweather, Floyd called him out, named the place and time, and Pacman's management started with the excuses.

The excuses are a totally unfair cut of the profit - less than 50% and no PPV (for the guy who is a bigger PPV draw between the two of them). I think it's reasonable to want to get your fair share of the house you draw - even a lot of Mayweather supporters are turned off by his demands.

Honestly, it's silly to put it on one person. When this fight never happens or happens too late for it to mean what it could have, it'll be the fault of both guys and their respective management for not pulling the trigger, what is it now, four years ago?

• 2 weeks later...