General boxing thread

EddieG

• 3 weeks later...

Professional boxers have been granted permission to qualify for the Olympics in 2016 and beyond after 84 of the 88 voters decided to change the rule preventing them from doing so.

This, to me at least, is complete madness and another step towards making the Olympics a waste of time.

What makes this particularly silly is that the top professionals aren't likely to want to take part because they're built on marketability, and potentially losing to an amateur at the Olympics counts as more of a risk than many would care to take. That presumably leaves the less successful professionals, those who want a chance to boost their fame and seal more lucrative professional fights, and what you're left with is the same amateurs as before alongside professionals nobody's ever heard of anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I listened to the fight on 5 Live. It sounded as though Brook did about as well as could be expected under the circumstances and deserves to be in the frame for some top matches at welterweight or light-middleweight in the future. Golovkin, though, is a ferocious fighter who wasn't likely to be troubled over twelve rounds by an ex-welterweight, and the bout against Alvarez is something that ought to happen next year if the politics of boxing don't get in the way again.

Brook did really well, I have to be honest. Gave as good as he got in the first four and a HBO scorecard gave him a round. GGG was different class though. Best chance Brook had was that one of his shots knocked Golovkin out, but it wasn't to be. He hit a fantastic uppercut in round...2 I think. 

Brook gave a solid showing and even in a loss should be able to get some decent fights out of this and make some money out of it.  

Still think him and Khan should fight. 

I didn't stay up for the fight and I couldn't find a stream of it in the morning, so I gave in and checked the result. Might try to find highlights. But all I could think was that GGG vs Brook was a SeriousParody