General boxing thread

EddieG

Ever read the Michael Watson biography? It seems strange that four years after Watson's injury, McClellan still ended up getting injured so badly.

Khan always has a good moan when things don't go his way, trying to save face I imagine. Real big bump in the road for him and his attempts to break into that big money bracket with Mayweather et al (Even though they'd all eat him alive).

Ever read the Michael Watson biography? It seems strange that four years after Watson's injury, McClellan still ended up getting injured so badly.

Nah, I haven't. Might be worth a look.

I always wanted their to be a book about that time period in boxing. It was really special for me growing up, with Eubank, Benn and then Collins. I even felt that one day I'd do it...just reminds me of my childhood, and the last real golden days of boxing for me.

''We're due a win, aren't we? We've had eight blacks on the spin.'' - Nice choice of words from Carl Froch regarding GB's luck against the American's lately. He was talking about a roulette table, but still - racist!

Anyone watching tonight? He's facing Andre Ward, an undefeated American according to Sky, in Atlantic City, so it could be worth a watch - it's on Sky Sports from midnight tonight, so I'll definitely record it if nothing else, as that fight won't start til around 4am, if other big fights in the US are anything to go by.

Should be a brilliant fight.

Froch of course coming in as the underdog here, fancy actually having a bet on him in this one at the odds they're putting out there. Of course coming off of the win against Johnson but before that he had probably his best performance ever when he beat Abraham.

There's no doubt he'll need to be at his absolute best to stand a chance of beating Ward tonight, but I think he's capable. Win or lose though, should be a cracker.

I think it'll be close...but Ward is going to take this, he'll be too quick and slick for Froch to deal with who'll try and turn it into an ugly fight which Ward would be comfortable with as well. I think Froch is the more likely of the two to win by knockout but Ward is gonna win by decision.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
World Boxing Association president Gilberto Mendoza has called for a rematch of the bout between Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson.

Khan lost his WBA and IBF titles to Peterson in Washington DC in December but has questioned a number of aspects of the fight, including an unknown man seen talking to the judges.

Mendoza said: "It generates a lot of controversy. There should be a rematch.

"The [Washington DC] Commission did not behave properly in this fight."

Olympic silver medallist Khan lost his light-welterweight titles on a split decision after being deducted one point in both the seventh and 12th rounds but has appealed against the verdict.

Judges George Hill and Valerie Dorsett scored the fight 113-112 in favour of Peterson, with Nelson Vasquez giving the bout to Khan 115-110.

Hill's card looked to have originally given the seventh round to Khan, but contains amendments that resulted in Peterson taking it 10-8.

On Thursday, Khan accused the unidentified man of "interfering" with officials and the judges' scorecards by posting a number of images from the bout on his Twitter page.

The Bolton fighter claimed the man talked to WBA supervisor Michael Welsh and also celebrated with Peterson after his win.

However, when contacted by BBC Sport, Welsh refused to answer any questions about the mystery man or what was said.

Mendoza told BBC Sport's Richard Conway that the man claimed to be an International Boxing Federation official but the IBF say they are not making any comment on his identity.

The WBA also said that it has no knowledge of the man's identity, while Mendoza added that Welsh was ignored when he raised concerns about the individual at ringside.

"Welsh was concerned about the gentleman being around him and couldn't get the coordination to do his job properly during the fight," said Mendoza. "He said he was totally ignored by the commission in Washington."

Khan's promoter Richard Schaefer has demanded the result of the bout be changed to a no-contest.

"What I think would be the right thing to do would be a no-contest and therefore Amir would retain both titles," he told Sky Sports News.

"I do believe there is enough controversy to warrant the no-contest decision.

"At the very least I think both sanctioning organisations [the World Boxing Association and the International Boxing Federation] should order an immediate rematch and the two fighters can settle the score in the ring."

Khan's business manager, Asif Vali, said that they had written to the boxing authorities for explanations to several areas of concern.

"We did the table plan with Golden Boy Promotions [Khan's promoter] and the WBA official was already in his seat and the IBF official was already in his seat, so who is this person?" he asked.

"What's he doing talking to the WBA? Why is he handling the slips?

"These are legitimate questions and if they give us sufficient reasons for it then I'll accept it. I want to see what the reasons are.

"We're not saying there is foul play involved in any way, shape or form. I just need the answers for the sequence of events that have taken place. Nothing else.

"I'm not accusing any of the bodies. Lamont Peterson is the champion and good luck to him for 2012."

_57728316_amir_khan_scorecard.jpg

Do think that Khan got hard done by here.

Also Mayweather is avoiding jail until June. The sentence has been postponed so that he can fulfill his contractual obligations and fight Pacquiao.

Well I thought he was, I thought the points he got taken off in the first place was a bit of a joke but come on that round the judge changed cost him the fight. I mean the fight was close but I couldn't see anything other than a Khan win. Plus well the video on SSN shows that their is a guy who is clearly breaking the rules by talking to the judges and the commissioner.