General boxing thread

EddieG

He kept holding his mouth open, could have a broken jaw.

Also Froch has come out and said he has 3/4 mor fights in him. DeGale won the title eliminator for IBF, so there is that, Ward is another (though I don't really want to see Froch get dominated again) and one more (Chavez Jr might not be a bad shout) make three. That will likely take him to the back end of next year when he will be 38, can't see him going much further than that.

There have also been talks about Froch/Kessler III, which wouldn't be bad but a third fight doesn't seem necessary. If he does fight DeGale, I don't think it'll be at Wembley, probably one last fight in Nottingham before he flies to Vegas.

Groves does have a bright future ahead of him, the punches he landed on Froch would've put down anyone else, especially that punch to the jaw that made Froch take a few steps back.

I think Kessler would be a step back, I would imagine he's going for the big money fights now. DeGale would be a big fight, both British, etc. Froch has oddly gone under the radar in the mainstream, nobody cared about their first two fights, so I don't think he would want a third.

The second fight took place at the O2 Arena, which certainly isn't a small place or under the radar. Although, Sky certainly helped the prestige of the fight with how they hyped it, if I recall.

Also, Anthony Joshua really needs to be given an opponent that isn't over the age of thirty and had three fights in their professional career. Sky are really trying to push him on Fight Night though, I remember a few months ago they gave him a huge entrance for an undercard fight against an unknown opponent. It was embarrassing.

re Kessler III, really not interested, the first fight was tight and the second was not, I really think Froch has proven himself to be no 2 in the world at Super Middle, really the only other fight is Andre Ward, but the DeGale fight is of interest.

And Cymbols, who fought Calzaghe?

re Kessler III, really not interested, the first fight was tight and the second was not, I really think Froch has proven himself to be no 2 in the world at Super Middle, really the only other fight is Andre Ward, but the DeGale fight is of interest.

And Cymbols, who fought Calzaghe?

Kessler.

I can't see why Ward would agree to fight Froch, he's not a mandatory opponent and he already easily disposed of him a few years ago.

Ideally, Froch will agree to fight DeGale at another big British venue (August bank holiday weekend may make sense, might be too quick of a turnaround though), have that on top, Kessler/Groves, Eubank Jr against someone, another AJ squash and try and build on the momentum they have got going.

They couldn't have asked for a better card for the Wembley show, all the matches were entertaining with good finishes, McDonnell's KO was fantastic, Mitchell's comeback in the 11th couldn't have been better. Froch always seemed in control, I had him 6-1 up at the point of the knockout and that was being generous to Groves with the one round.

Froch/Degale is not a big fight.

Groves was a nobody that got correctly stopped when he was getting his ass handed to him and they managed to sell 80,000+ tickets to see him get a rematch. DeGale is an Olympic gold medalist on a nine match win streak, they should be able to build something out of that.

Groves beat DeGale though.

And honestly, the Groves/Froch fight was a one off in my opinion, the way the first fight ended and the build-up got a lot of people interested, DeGale/Froch wouldn't have the same background to it.

I think Groves would beat DeGale again. I'm not Groves' biggest fan but I don't think DeGale would last 4 rounds in the ring with Froch, nevermind 7 or 8.

Edited by Dan