General boxing thread

EddieG

British boxer Anthony Crolla will miss his lightweight WBA world title fight on January 23rd after chasing 2 burglars he spotted climbing his neighbour's fence, when one of them hit him in the knee with a brick.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just an early heads up, on Saturday Channel 5 will be showing Martin Murray challenge Gennady Golovkin for the WBA Super, WBO Interim and IBO World Middleweight Titles from Monte Carlo. Golovkin is a dangerous fighter that struggles to find opponents and has a staggeringly high ratio for finishing fights, so Murray could be in for a long (or short, depending how you look at it >_> ) night.

Also on Saturday, Sky Sports 3 will be showing Arthur Abraham against Paul Smith WBO World Super Middleweight Title from Berlin.

And at the end of the month there is a card with Eubank Jr and Tyson Fury on it but I'll post more about that closer to the day.

I can't see anything but a comfortable Mayweather points victory (although I imagine the judges would manufacture a closer verdict to open up the possibility of a big-money rematch), but I'd really like to see Pacquiao give him a good hiding. I've heard that Mayweather could receive an estimated $80 million dollars, with figures as high as $120 million being touted, and Pacquiao should earn himself around $60 million if such projections are to be believed. For a single night of competitive sport with a few months' worth of training, that's astounding.

I expect this to do really well at the box office despite it being several years too late.

If it was a couple of years ago I think Mayweather would just edge it but because it's happening now I think it'll be a comfortable points victory.