General boxing thread

EddieG

I didn't know we had a boxing thread.

That was fucking phenomenal. It's the first thing I've ever legit bought on PPV and it didn't disappoint. I'd bet on Joshua to win in Round 6 so I was fucking ecstatic when he floored Klitschko in Round 5, but I couldn't believe how quickly it turned around. First half of the round Joshua looked completely dominant, then all of a sudden he looks dead on his feet and Klitschko is in control. Then he gets floored in the fucking sixth and it looks all over, genuinely astounded he managed to not only stay in but come back and finish it before the twelfth. Absolutely unreal.

Assuming it happens, I am genuinely excited for Joshua vs Fury. Already hyping it up so seems the logical next step if there isn't a rematch on the cards. I'd love a rematch though, I'd happily watch that all again because it was amazing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jericode said:

Assuming it happens, I am genuinely excited for Joshua vs Fury. Already hyping it up so seems the logical next step if there isn't a rematch on the cards. I'd love a rematch though, I'd happily watch that all again because it was amazing.

I think Fury probably continues ducking. If he's ducking Klitschko, then he's not going to be keen for Joshua.

Watched this on a night out in Sheffield and really bloody enjoyed it. It was a proper boxing match, really lived up to the billing. Happy AJ won but both guys came out looking great, would love to see them go again.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It's a big double-header for British boxing tonight. Both George Groves and Kell Brook are involved in world title fights at Bramall Lane.

I forgot this was on after the excitement of the football. 

Prince Naseem Hamed has been eating like a prince, it seems. 

On 2017-5-27 at 23:45, Bobfoc said:

Rough night for Brook. He's having another eye operation, which is very bad news for his career. I never liked the idea of his going up to middleweight to fight Golovkin, and it now looks as though it's caused lasting damage.

Two fractured eye sockets. I'm not an expert but I'd be considering retiring. The previous fracture the surgeon said that one more round and he could have lost sight in that eye.

• 1 month later...

Collins has been open about how it's all about the money for him. No doubt it's the same for Benn. It does make you think about how great Bernard Hopkins was, though. We're talking about these old men squaring off in a circus sideshow of a match, yet Hopkins was unifying world titles when he was only a couple of years younger.

• 1 month later...

Wlad's always conducted himself with class outside the ring, which is all too rare in boxing. He's one of very few boxers I can think of who improved significantly during his later years as a professional, going from a talented, but glass-jawed shadow of his big brother to a technical and psychological expert in his own right. Perhaps his last two fights showed that his powers have waned, but he's done well to dominate for so long in what's admittedly been a weak division.

So Amir Khan is divorcing his wife, accusing her of sleeping with Anthony Joshua. She's kicking off on Twitter accusing him of cheating as well (presumably not with Joshua mind).

She did have a dig saying he's trying to get attention because his career is over.