NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

I was disappointed by the lack of trades at this years draft :(

From Darren Dreger:

Leafs may have some interest in Savard, but Kaberle won't be included if that trade happens.

But thats for 2010/11. By 2011/12, Kaberle will have been traded to Pittsburgh for Malkin, Staal and all of their draft picks!

I guess we should be posting news in here instead of the old thread so...

Tampa Bay has moved Andrej Meszaros to the Flyers for a second round pick. This should give the Lightning some room to pick up players. I thought Meszaros had a ton of upside, but he kind of stalled out in Tampa. Hopefully, he can bounce back with a good Flyers team.

Darren Dreger reports Sergei Gonchar has signed in OTT for three years at $5.5M plus a NTC.

Not a fan of this. Ottawa is rebuilding and they add a 36 year old defenceman? I like Gonchar and I think he will help their powerplay, but I don't think this was the best way for the Senators to use their money. I think they should have signed someone younger to a longer term deal. If this does help the Senators get to the playoffs, I guess it was worth it.

...What? Did they not already make that mistake once before?

Colby Armstrong has signed a three-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Unless this is a 5 million a year deal or something stupid, this is a good move.

I think $3 million per year is a bit much for Armstrong, but I do think he is a very good player to have on our third line. He can hit hard and get under your skin, and he does have some offensive skill since he did score 22 goals before and seems to always be around 15. The Leafs still need to move Kaberle to add another skilled player up front, and then maybe grab a defender for a decent price.

To be honest, that's not a bad deal really. It's not like the Leafs are in any sort of cap trouble. If anyone can afford to overpay by a half million a year for a third liner, Toronto can.

Michalek to the Pens. 5-years $4 mil per year.

EDIT: LMAO...Colby Armstrong to the Leafs for $3 million a year.

I don't think it's a bad deal. Yes, Armstrong is getting more money then he should, but when you go and get someone in free agency you end up overpaying. Armstrong will do a lot of good things for Toronto. He isn't going to be a top forward, but he will put in good minutes on the third line. As Sean said above, it's not like this deal cripples our cap going forward. In fact, we still have enough to go for Kovalchuk if Burke wanted him and was willing to place Finger in the AHL.

Pittsburgh getting Michalek is good. He is not Gonchar, but he is an underrated puck mover, solid in his own end, and a great shot blocker.

Edited by Toe

The leading story on Canucks.com addresses whether the Canucks are going to make an offer for LeBron James. :D

The leading story on Canucks.com addresses whether the Canucks are going to make an offer for LeBron James. :D

That would be awesome.

BUt....

TSNBobMcKenzie: Manny Malhotra to Vancouver, 3 yrs / 7.5M no trade AAV 2.5.

Exactly. He is a bit older and slower. He is a good defender and a good faceoff man, but I don't think he adds much offensively. He put up some decent numbers on a powerful San Jose team. I think Vancouver could have used this money elsewhere and to better effect.

He does address one big issue we had as a team, and that's late game faceoffs. He is a great man taking draws... but 2.5 million is a bit much.