MMA Hall Of Fame

EddieG

Something I was thinking about, and wanted to see a discussion about this.

If there was to be a MMA Hall Of Fame, so not just UFC obviously, who would be in it? Who are guys at the end of their prime ready to be entered? Who are young stars with a bright future and a possible spot in the future?

Please, discuss. :)

I like that list apart from Big Nog and Matt Hughes, I can't quite put my finger on why about Big Nog.

Matt Hughes just doesn't qujte do it for me either, doesn't excite me and I personally find him slightly overrated.

He's fine in the UFC HOF as it's just UFC, but all round MMA, not for me thanks.

Then again, I'd probably put Bob Sapp in there :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Not going to put any names down yet - partially because I'm at working and really should be working - but the biggest problem with this sort of exercise is that the perception of MMA fighters' talents is so far skewed from the reality. Look at Shinya Aoki dominating Japanese lightweights then coming over and losing a one-sided affair to a Gilbert Melendez who wouldn't be in UFC's top tier at 155. Look at Tito Ortiz being one of the most well-known and best-remembered MMA fighters in history despite never beating anyone more challenging than Evan Tanner.

It's not like baseball where you can at least use stats to get past the hype and see the real picture.

Indei's list is a solid start, Others who come to mind:

Dan Severn

Don Frye

Dana White

The Fertitta Bro's

Mr Sakikubara (sp?) of PRIDE.

Nobuhiko Takada (He really made it something in Japan)

Hidehiko Yoshida

Frank Shamrock

Megumi Fuji (in the future if she remains undefeated)

If he keeps up his winning ways, Shogun Rua (Pride GP 2003 and now a UFC champion, good work)

Funaki and Suzuki of Pancrase?

Dan Henderson (held titles in 2 weight classs in PRIDE, beating Wanderlei among others, the guy si/was as legit as MMA fighters come)

Delving further looking at camps, coaches, cornermen, etc...

Greg Jackson

Jacob "Stitch" Duran

Leon Tabbs

Javier Mendez of AKA

Murilo Bustamante (V. Good fighter, former UFC champ and founding member of the Brazilian Top Team)

Rudimar Fedrigo of Chute Boxe, founder of the camp in the 1970's produce some of the most vicious Vale Tudo and MMA superstars.

The thing that keeps coming up when new Halls are created - is it going to be a Hall of FAME or a Hall of Really Really Good Fighters? This is what the Tito debate comes down to.

Also, I think Matt Hughes deserves a place in both the above halls. Deck the halls with Matt Hughes!

I'd induct Tito not for his fighting, but for being one of the two main guys, along with Liddell, that really helped cause the MMA boom. In my eyes, those were the two guys that really put it in the public eye. It's kinda like when the NFL inducts someone for 'contributions to the game' or whatever.

I'd induct Tito not for his fighting, but for being one of the two main guys, along with Liddell, that really helped cause the MMA boom. In my eyes, those were the two guys that really put it in the public eye. It's kinda like when the NFL inducts someone for 'contributions to the game' or whatever.

THIS (Y)

I cannot stand Tito Ortiz! every time he loses he has an excuse as to why.. just man up and say the better man won.. but he and liddell were really two of the big faces during the MMA boom.. The first MMA fight i saw was when Ortiz decimated Ken Shamrock and I was instantly hooked on the sport