Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Hmmm... compared to my usual Mac performance this Windows 7 + Civ 5 crashes prity often... :-(

My first long game endet 1994 becaus my game always crashes wen i end the turn, it´s on the largest size map so i hope it´s just 2GB ram not being enough (my iMac got 4gb, so it should work wen i am home again in 10 days)...

So i started a new game trying out how Civ 5 works out with a small Civ. I only created three City's and advanced towards the capital getting Bonuses. It worked out nice until the two war mongers decided to attack my Island (playing on an all island map, medium size) from two flanks... I was able to fend them of pretty well even with only a limited number of unis being produced, but my culture and science stopped progressing. I actually don´t know how far behind i got with spending all my gold and workrate on unis but the game just crashed again taking windows with it. ( :wub: Mac at which, if anything at all, the Program crashes...)

I hope there is some patches comming soon. It´s not that it´s crashing all the time, but loosing 10 turns wen you are at war just blows... don´t want to go and save after every turn. :-(

In case anyone is annoyed by seeing the opening video over and over again, there is a fairly easy way to turn it of within a "usersettings.ini" -> just switch the "SkipIntroVideo" Value from 0 to 1. - But since the game actually uses the first 15 or so seconds of the Video to load the game (which is the reason you have to wait a while before hitting ESC during the video dos skip it) you will still have to wait - only without the Video but with a black screen.

I bet this will get patched to a classic loading time bar some day.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Got it last night, played for 6 hours straight.

The only "war" Ive had was with a city state, genova, to just shut them up with their demand that the only way to like them is to kill OTHER city states. Screw that, give me your iron.

I started random as well, and started with Mecca as my capital. I just thought random was a good way to get a feel for the game, rather then go too deep into the options first.

Ive decided that these guys kicked ass.

The Bazaar is simply the most powerful thing in the game, giving x2 to all improved resources (like oil and fur ect).

All I did was meet the rest of the world, lock myself in a corner, and trade with them all while they warred with themselves. With double to stock, I had plenty to trade with, giving me the chance to get what my cities needed to celebrate me as king.

After that, it was day after day of increased money and happiness. The only war I had against me, I just straight out BOUGHT 5 tanks and wiped him out city after city. Frig you Siam!

Games not over yet, but I think Ill go cultural victory. I got a wonder that gives 33% to all culture bonuses, and radio towers double a cities output. Im cranking out 600 a turn and Ive got at least 100 turns left.

I finaly managed to end some game. 2050 came as kinda a surprise to me... oops it´s "over". - Well, i won by several 100 points but you just have to love how the island game damages the evolution, havent even gotten the atomic theory yet. I might do a very smal map with as many civs as possible next. Time for some proper war.

So tomorrow....there may or may not be an EWB game. Pizzamonkey and myself breifly talked about it the other day....

If we do, shall we set rules? Like....fuck Time and Cultural victories.

Set everything to random (minus leaders)?

3:30pm eastern time?

Let us know!

Call me wen it´s time.

Ok, playing this overpopulated world now. For some reason Japan is in there twice, maybe thats what Babylon would have been in the SE... it´s hillarius. 21 Civs on the second smalest Map. Havent seen any city states yet even if i set the number to as high as possible. Scouts running everywere, need to expand quick before space gets even narrower.

I turned of the timed victory and added random to the way the diplomatic AI. The first civs are already asking for war even if no one has more than one combat unit. :w00t:

/edit

The second i opend my fourth city everyone somewhat close bye declared war on me and wen for a gang bang. :crying:

My game with the Germans, I'm around the year 1550 right now. I'm playing continents with 10 civs, and I started on my island with the Romans, Americans, Siam and the Aztec all competing for space. I really aggressively went after the Romans early on, then the Americans started backtalking me so I took them down. I cleaned up the rest of my island and was thrilled to be the lone power amongst a bunch of city states. I sent out some ships to look for new land and ran into the Russians and French, both of whom immediately refer to me as the bloodthirsty one and are very untrusting :(

russia france and aztecs are on one continent from me....

minus the russia at 800 ad.

The AI can get realy anoing with the wrong neighbours. Someone on the official board called it "like children with ADD"... there is a lot of criticisem going down on these forums.

They hate the simplyfication of things... to be honest, i belive there will be a lot of DLC and at least one AddOn so a lot of whats not in the game now will find it´s way back (bigger tech tree, more units, espionage ect.)... and i also feel that you have to think a lot harder on what you do in this game. In the "old" Civs you had a lot to switch around (taxes ect.) but wen everything comes together i usualy felt like spamming citys and building an army always was a good basisI actualy belive that you have to think a lot more in Civ 5... throwing down that second city at a spot were there actualy is more benifit than just having another city... trying to get your army from city states becaus you don´t have to pay for them (i belive, need to dubble check).

There is a lot to be added and esp. the AI needs some fixing, but i don´t see how this game "killed a francise". o_O

ARABS IN SPAAAAACE!!!

Takes it for highest ranking honours equal to that of ceaser on his first go.

God damn those arabs and their buying power. Just make sure you have a trade route to every city, it adds even more gold with them.

Dont know who Ill play next. That was all random but I think maybe a navy heavy army like england this next time.

Try UN Victory. Maybe it was because i never went into a packt of secrecy or even to war with partner nations... but i never got one vote besides my own and my ally city states. I was playing the Arabs aswell, it was hillarius how evry Nation came begging for gold once i entered a golden age. I actualy always payed them to prevent war... but they never gave me noting, not even a UN Vote! So after i won the game via Space Race (about as unclimactic of an ending as the 2050 timed victory...) i burned down every city on the planet with my three gigant robots of death. :mellow:

I actualy played that game with only three citys. Mecca (the capital) was on an island that had two tiles... one with a hill and one with the city on it. Lost island in full efeckt! But it was interesting to see how gigantic City borders can become if you just let them grow, esp. in the ocean were there is no rivals to block you of!