Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I got trapped in a part of land where I only had room for four cities. I've got all three of Catherine's and I'm in major financial trouble. I think i'm going to lose before I recover.

You don't need more than four cities as Arabia (or most tall Civs, for that matter). I've currently got three and am running away with it thanks to a bustling caravan network and a powerhouse money capital. In my book, four should be the limit of cities unless you're planning to go to war a lot, and even then any fifth city should probably be one you take from an opponent.

• Like 1

Strog economies don't help when you are behind.

What probably screwed you was exterminating Russia. Civs do not care for genocide. Basically, war on Prince is a new ball game; you have to be diplomatic about it. Stop making and renewing deals, wait for DoFs to expire before denouncing. If you can, pay people to go to war, then denounce. It will make you look less like a dick.

Now, if you do get involved in an offensive war, your main target should be a laege coastal city, bonus points if it is the capital. A good naval task force should make this easy. Such a loss can either severly hurt or outright cripple someone. If it is a land war, though, pillage, attack military units, but do not take cities. That will hurt your standing with other civs. Eventually, they will sue for peace, and you can probabky get a city that way at no diplomatic penalty.

War is awful for tech, though. It causes you to reshuffle priorities, and that hurta development. So, here is what I do.

Cities I build have a set build order. Shrine, Worker, Library. I settle them as soon I have a capital with at least those two buildings in place, and size four. I always go Tradition, and tailor my second polixy tree for the victory I want. Patronage for Dip, Aesthetics for Culture, Commerce for the other two. Universities are built once they become available, and upon entering the Renaissance, I change to the right side of Rationalism. If I get those two policies, I begin stockpiling them for Ideology tenents. For cities, look for hills on a rive or coast, with a mountain closeby if possible. Luxuries you currently lack are nice, you will need them.

Now, pre Industrial Wonders are nice, but not critical. The big priorities are Petra if I have a desert, and The Sistine Chapel. Forbidden Palace is nice as well.

With Great People, Artists and Writers should only make Great Works if you areaiming for a Culture victory. The exceptions are as follows: For Writers, if you are Assyria, Great Works. For their treaty, if Congress is approaching and the World Fair is on the Balllot, hold off untilnyou can win it, and use them ten turns after is is completed. With Great Artists, pop their Golden Age only if you are currently in one or it is far away (before midpoint). It will stack if you are in one. Great Scientists should make Academies before Industrial era, and boost during and beyond that era, preferably ten turns after your final Research Lab is up. Everyone else, Engineers and Merchants should never make their building, Generals should be saved for wars or critical border expansion, and Admirals and Musicians I could give a fuck about.

Is this anal? Yes. Does it work? Hell yes. Good luck. Remember, when you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. I can go in to greater detail if you like on my overall grand scheme.

EDIT: Didn't win the Game of Thrones, eh?

Germany Peaced me, as did the Maya. I held a strong front line against Dido, and she offered me Florence. Which I quickly liberated, hopefully erasing a large chunk of my warmongering from exterminating Catherine. Now it's just Rome, who is warring me from another continent despite appearing locked into his location. It's odd.

• Like 1

Strog economies don't help when you are behind.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know how to use them :P

Weak army and got declared war on? Spend dat dough and throw out a shit ton of soldiers and take the cities of whoever declared war on you.

Need universities or other buildings to rush for Oxford University or another national wonder? Spend dat dough and get a massive science boost.

Need someone to distract someone else's army whilst you go to war? Spend dat dough, forcing their armies away from your frontline, and making two of your rivals cripple each other.

Need some boosts to get your next vote through? Spend dat dough and buy every city state and civ vote you need.

Suddenly get a happiness hit? Spend dat dough and oh shit there's colloseums, zoos and other stuff everywhere. Smile, my people!

Need a luxury for "We Love The King" but don't have a resource to trade? Spent dat dough and make people smile even more!

Someone's tourism looking a bit too strong for your dom/science/diplo win game? Spend. Dat. Dough. Tourism and culture out the wazoo.

Researched something but need to keep production focus on World's Fair/ISS/International Games so can't build it's buildings? Spend it booooy.

If your economy's weak, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but with money I ain't got none.

I currently have 20000 in the bank as Arabia and have nothing to spend it on because I'm already way ahead of everyone, have the city states in my pocket (in a game that includes Enrico, who is my nearest rival despite the other military Civs in the game), have occupied everyone else with war, and have the strongest army in the game (in a game that includes Atilla, Bismarck, Viking dude and Monty). All this came from being "behind" because I focused my early game into the economy.

• Like 1

Rome peaced me, but I found out that Bismarck is plotting against me and he has a massive tech edge. I've seen artillery on my borders. I've not yet got rifles.

Try and convince a neighbour to go to war with him (or Bismarck himself to go to war with his neighbour), using whatever resources you have available. Pull him away from your borders and take out some of his units, giving you time to catch up :)

EDIT : Judging by that edit, the Persian/Germanic war needs to start right now :shifty:

It's probably too late to win then.

A question: what's the population of Mecca at this point? What buildings do you have? How much food do you have going in? Getting a tech lead on Prince shouldn't be that difficult.

EDIT: "too wait" sousa? WAKE UP YOU OLD BASTARD.

It makes me sad to have to kill Suleiman. His jolly greeting always makes me smile, but he was taking far too long for my tourism to overcome him. RIP Istanbul Santa :(

Also, contemplating doing a Sweden game but I just cannot see the benefit of their ability. Someone who's played them - is it of any use at all?

Someone who's played them - is it of any use at all?

Extra GP are nice. Especially early, when you're playing nice.

That said...

1. Nobel Prize's other ability (donating GPs to city-states) is mostly useless.

2. Hakkapalatapaltalapamatapalapizzas are stupid.

3. Sweden has a TUNDRA bias, which is the worst of all the start biases.

So no, Sweden does not have a lot on offer.

• Like 1

DICK PLAYER MOVES IN CIVILIZATION!

Monty: "Hey, I'll give you money for Copper!"

Me; "It'll cost you 180, one lump sum since your ass is broke."
Monty: "Okay :) "

*LATER THAT VERY SAME TURN*

Elizabeth: "Monty's a nuisance. Wanna go to war?"
Me: ".....sure!"

**COPPER TO MONTEZUMA ENDED**

• Like 1