Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I'm intrigued by the 1-city victory. I've just been given Korea randomly. Is this the civ for it?

Noooooo, Venice is where it's at. Venice literally can't be anything but one city. The one-city challenge is surprisingly easy, so long as you (sounding like a broken record here), use your economy to create a solid defensive army.

Not so lucky to get Venice yet. I'll branch my Korea out then :D

I want you to know that I liked your post, but I'm doing so with hesitation and a lot of head shaking.

I mean, I added a second city to get Iron. So far I've beelined Great Library - Used the free tech to hit Philosophy and snap-built the national college. Since then i've gone pyramids and great lighthouse and i've then built two catapults and am hoping to hit terracotta army. Should be delicious.

You got the wrong guy.

Also: Got there re: Terracotta Army. Four Catapults/2 Compys/2 Swordsmen. Spring chicken to sky hawk in one easy lesson.

Dakka dakka dakka dakka....

You did that wrong. Should have not upgraded one of your archers and one of your warriors, that way you'd have got more units. TA increases by unique units.

I generally only go TA if I'm going with Monty or someone else with really early unique units to get the full advantage, even then it's not really worth chasing over other things unless you have raging barbs and honor on.

EDIT: Sudden thought - since TA goes by unique units, I wonder if that means it'll create a Settler copy if you have one available, that would make it extremely useful for a wide Civ...

1992 Diplomatic Victory, Prince, Standard, Continents as The Shoshone (the game from the above screenshot).

Other civs included: Brazil, The Aztecs, The Huns, America, Korea, and Arabia. Please not that Diplomatic Victory was the first to come up, as I was closing in on Culture, and could have pretty much won however the hell I wanted.

Brazil never really got off the ground, thanks to blocking their expansion. The land south of his two cities was nothing but desert, and that Settler sat there thinking damn for over a hundred turns. Once I got Comanche Riders, I, forgive the pun, went on the warpath and took out Rio and burnt Pedro's other cities. Turns out he has another city on another continent, so that would have to wait. It didn't matter, he wasn't a threat. Once I get Combustion, I upgrade my already formidable force of Comanches into Landships, and ship them off, along with some Artiller and a Settler (to set up a forward base of operations), with the plan of liberating Tenochitlan. I didn't actually meet Monty until I pulled that off, it looks like Monty was Monty, except this time he pissed off Attila early on.

The Huns had also captured Seoul, which I liberated, and then I went after his last remaining city, this time with what were the Landships, now Tanks, Bombers and Rocket Artillery. Attila was done. At that point it was me just waiting to see if I could win by Culture before the Diplomatic Vote came up.

All in all, I can really see the value of the Shoshone, being able to block off other Civs and get some early access to much needed luxuries. Pretty fun civ, actually, considering I thought they would be boring.

One thing I did different this go was I was much more on the ball about micromanaging my cities, but I reached a point where it was just too much of a hassle and just let it go. The results still worked well, I think.