Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Korean Science VictoryComplete and Utter Domination.

post-1984-0-41631300-1389778269_thumb.jp

Note the insane amount of Academy's south of Seoul. There were more around another city.

Pretty peaceful game, in spite of having the Mongols for neighbors. They kept starting shit with two city states, but I laughed as I gifted the states Gatling Guns and Frigates, and suddenly only Temujin wasn't too eager to attack. I could have won much earlier, but I wanted to see how crazy this could get.

Eventually, before I won, I had wiped out Mongolia courtesy of my Freedom Mechs (Fucking Commies :angry: ). Happiness was an issue early on thanks to more expansion than normal, but I got over it.

There's just so many things in this game I see as completely OP; the tenant of Freedom to give a constant influence boost to any trade-route to a city-state means the end of spending. I'm not sure what I like more, that or Dictatorship of the Proletariat in Order (+34% Tourism to any Civ with less happiness; in my games, this tends to mean everyone).

So...yeah. Korea's fun. I wish Japan had some cool shit like they did, but oh well :shifty: .

I never really bothered with Spain until today, on a whim, I started a game using them.

Then I found Solomons Mines (+6 Production usually... with Spain, +12. To a starting city.)

I might submit this as a cheat code to GameFaqs.

Holy shit, the early production lead basically landed me every early wonder in a matter of minutes. By turn 70 I'd finished the entire Liberty tree and had almost finished my religion.

Also, is there any way to play custom maps that doesn't disable achievements? Am I right in thinking that I start the game up as a Modded Single Player game, then just load it on normal and continue?

Rome is probably better for learning non-Venice civs though.

Because they blow.Rome blows.

I agree. I did not find them to be overly impressive. I think, in spite of their bonus, there a better options for a build shit empire, like Egypt.

Eh, Rome can be fine. The problem with their UU is that if you've got an army with Rome, you should probably be invading someone - not fucking around building roads. The production buff can be lovely when it starts to stack with any others you've got.

They're a super average Civ, really. They do everything alright, but really you're better off taking a specialized Civ for a specific victory condition. Not a bad Civ for a basic introduction outside of Venice, though. Morocco or Poland might be better, though. Seeing as Morocco is basically Venice without the Merchant buff and Poland is just all around fantastic.

Well, 1901 Culture Victory with Egypt. My overall thoughts are that to really take advantage of the +20% bonus to wonders, you really need a kickass start, as well as certain choices with regards to policies and religion, namely Tradition, and the beliefs that give you +1% production (up to 15%) and Monuments to the Gods.

The nice difference was my economy wasn't nearly as impressive as it has been.

Something also dawned on me; just pay to keep the other civs borders open, and keep yours the hell closed. Does a nice job of keeping those pesky Missionaries and Great Prophets at bay, plus it denies them tourism.

Debating who to be my next game; I'm thinking Gandhi for the Bollywood achievement. Overall thus far, next to Venice, Siam's been my favorite to play. The scary thing is the larger the map, the more powerful Siam can be with all those city states.

Rome is just....Rome.

Yeah; the only unique units that interest me are The Merchant of Venice (obviously :shifty:), the Shosone Pathfinder, and the Ship of the Line. With the SOTL, I'm thinking of doing a domination game as England, building an insane navy at about a 3-1 ratio of SOTLs to Privateers, and just going around like a madman screaming "ENGLAND PREVAILS BITCHES" as I sack every coastal town.

All of Rome's unique stuff goes obsolete too early; warring with swords and catapults sucks in BNW. Assyria pretty much does what Rome was supposed to do, and better, because Siege Towers are great and Legions/Ballistae just aren't.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fire up Civ IV and lay waste to the world with Praetorians. :shifty:

• Like 1

Does anyone ever use Great Admirals? I've never known a more useless unit, particularly a great person. They could have some awesome abilities (double gold received from trade routes for a limited period, constructing a 'sea fortress' similar to the Citadel, the ability to gift land units some kind of special embarked promotion to make them as useful in the sea as on land), but it's just a poor heal ability and making nearby boats slightly more powerful instead.

TBH naval warfare has always been such an afterthought in Civ games. I recognise the improvements they've made in moving land warfare away from Stack O'Doom (even if it does mean that armies have now become this weirdly expansive entity, wherein you are required to flood the bredth of an entire nation just to get ranged units supporting melee units)...but there's nothing they've been able to do with naval war at all.

• Like 1

If we're talking Unique Unit, early game, nothing tops Shoshone Pathfinder. Early tech and population can be wonderful, especially if you time it right and pick tech once you've finished the quicker ones.

I don't have Brave New World so Hunnic Battering Ram will have to do for all my tech, population, religious and cultural purposes.