The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

They got rid of a 10 team SPL when they introduced the 12 team league, plus the idiotic split, so by going back they are saying the format before was okay (which it wasn't) and that the 12 team split format is shit (which it is).

No way are any of the SPL teams going to vote for a league that doesn't see them playing the Old Firm as often as possible (thus swelling their coffers) but the best thing for the game would be a 16 or 18 team league, as the teams in the first division are not much different to those at the bottom of the SPL.

Greed wins out though - it's the way of the world.

Only problem with an 18 team league is that there aren't really enough professional teams to sustain that.

You could probably get 20-22 teams capable of going full time if they get a bit of extra money from a tv deal and getting the Old Firm once a season.

I mean, the likes of Scumdee, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Partick, Raith and Morton have all been in the top flight in the 25 years I've been following Scottish football (come to think of it, 25 years of following Scottish football, including the national team, is probably the main reason why I have grey hair and a rapidly receding hairline at the age of 32, but I digress). Other sides like Ross County, your friends in Ayr, Livvy, Airdrie etc could argue a case, and the Highland teams always have decent support and are well run.

Even a 16 team league would be better.

42 teams just now, go to 3 divisions of 18-12-12.

Stephen Elliott :wub:

Now won every away game this season except for one (against Celtic). Now 11 clear of Kilmarnock in 4th.

Also, it might be the Scottish Cup but Hibs lost to Ayr (2nd Division team) and that extends their Scottish Cup failures to 110 years :lmao:

• 1 month later...

Not surprised, I thought he'd already mentioned this was going to be his last season anyway? He's looked totally out of ideas lately anyway, don't know what McCoist will bring to the plate.

• Admin
The Scottish Premier League has announced that next season will kick off on 23 July.

The league says that this, the earliest ever SPL start date, will mean clubs entering European competition will be better prepared than ever before.

However, a new "one-off compromise" protocol has been agreed to allow clubs to compete in friendly matches.

This paves the way for Celtic to appear in the Dublin Super Cup over the weekend of 30 and 31 July.

Celtic will join Manchester City, Inter Milan and an Irish League select in the event in the Irish capital.

A statement issued by the SPL said: "An earlier start date is an important part of the SPL's strategic plan for Scottish football and should mean that SPL clubs involved in European qualifiers in July enter those games better prepared.

"A July start date will also reduce the number of midweek games in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League during the winter months."

For the forthcoming campaign, all SPL clubs can request that one early-season fixture be postponed to allow participation in one-off friendlies and pre-season tournaments, which present the opportunity to generate extra revenue.

The league's chief executive Neil Doncaster described the protocol on his blog as "a one-off solution".

Doncaster continued: "Fixturing is a notoriously emotive area. Trying to shoe-horn so many games into a fixed period is an extremely difficult task - and one where SPL secretary Iain Blair is simply unable to please everyone all of the time.

"There is no ideal solution that suits all clubs. What's vital is that any decision is fair, balanced and in the overall interests of all clubs. And I am confident that the decision on our start date for next season is precisely that.

"It will help teams in European competition. It will reduce fixture congestion and the number of unpopular winter midweek games later in the season.

"It will boost clubs' incomes and increase the value of SPL games to broadcasters. And it's what fans tell us they want."

Doncaster went on to suggest that in future, "post-merger with the Scottish Football League", the League Cup could be "reconfigured to create the sort of flexibility that would be required".

So people care about the SPL now?

Anyways, great game. Well, when I say great game, I mean great non-playing stuff. The game itself was pretty average, but El Hadji Diouf is a total goon. Hate that prick. But the fans sat around the tunnel were awesome, anyone see them?

So yeah, I really do think we should win the Treble this year, I mean, to be honest. Who's going to stop us in the Scottish Cup now? (Motherwell aren't still in it are they?)