The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

• Admin

So, morals vs. finance!

Also:

Chances of the new Rangers being voted into Division One appear to be diminishing with four more clubs coming out against the proposal.

Scottish Football League clubs meet to vote on the matter on Friday, with Division Three the other option.

The SFL, Scottish Premier League and Scottish FA have negotiated a restructuring of the divisions in return for Rangers in Division One.

But Elgin, Peterhead, Arbroath and Alloa all say they will vote against.

Promoted Dumbarton, who previously announced that a poll of members and supporters showed a majority in favour of Rangers joining them in Division One, now say they will not necessarily be bound by that.

The Sons will make a final decision on hearing presentations at the Hampden meeting.

Berwick Rangers this week announced that they would be voting for Rangers to be placed in the fourth tier, while Division Three rivals Annan Athletic and Second Division East Fife have reiterated their opposition to Rangers in Division One.

Clyde have stated that, although they would prefer to have the new Rangers join them in the bottom tier, not enough information had been provided by the Sevco consortium that now owns Rangers' assets.

Before Scotland's governing bodies agreed their package of proposals, First Division clubs Cowdenbeath, Falkirk, Livingston, Morton, Partick Thistle and Raith Rovers, along with relegated Dunfermline, had all indicated they would be against Rangers playing in the second tier.

Third Division clubs Queen's Park and Stirling Albion were similarly minded, while Stranraer suggested that Rangers should be required to apply for admission to the bottom tier along with other interested non-league clubs.

That means there are a potential 18 votes for Rangers being refused admission to Division One - a majority of the SFL's 30 clubs.

Only Second Division outfit Stenhousemuir have gone public with an intention to vote for Rangers in the second tier.

Charles Green's Sevco consortium was forced to apply for entry to the SFL after SPL clubs voted against the new Rangers being admitted to the top flight with the old company destined for liquidation.

Peterhead expressed surprise that a 16-team top-flight, which had been rejected as "unattractive and potentially undeliverable" in the SPL's own strategic plan in April 2011, was now being proposed "a mere 36 hours prior to Friday's meeting".

"Whilst we have always stated that we would welcome proposals for league reconstruction independent of the Rangers crisis, we are left with a sense of wonderment at many of the newly proposed changes to the league - changes that were deemed wholly unworkable prior to newco Rangers application to join the SFL after expulsion from the SPL," they said in a website statement.

"Although we are to come under severe pressure from bodies outwith the SFL to accept these fast-tracked changes to accommodate a newco team and to hail this proposal as a 'blueprint to safeguard the future of Scottish football', we must retain our stance and those of the majority of our fans to vote no.

"We still believe that to maintain fairness in our game and to restore faith in Scottish football, there is no alternative but to admit a newco team into Division Three.

"We understand the ramifications of this as laid out by the SFA and understand that there will be financial implications for all clubs should this be the outcome.

"However, although there may be tough times ahead for Scottish football, we believe we can weather the storm."

Late on Thursday, Alloa chairman Mike Mulraney confirmed the Wasps' position: "Alloa can see no reason to vote in any way other than to put the new Rangers in the league that there own manager and fans have asked for, Division Three.

"We hope that everyone involved in football takes this opportunity to remind ourselves that to a large extent the fans are Scottish football, without them what is the point?"

Dundee have been allowed to vote, presumably because the 'conflict of interest' argument doesn't hold up when you consider that Rangers had a vote about newco Rangers.

And no club is allowed to abstain from voting unless they want a fine.

So I'm expecting a good 25-5 vote kicking Rangers to Division 3, shortly afterwards I expect Charles Green to walk out of the deal and there'll be no Rangers at all.

Regarding the Charles Green thing, he has a clause in the deal that basically means he can walk out of buying the assets by the 30th of July if certain criteria aren't met, basically I think he's been warning (read blackmailing) the SPL/SFA that if they are not in Division 1 at the very least, he will walk away from Rangers without paying a penny and the SFA will be left to deal with any public disorder that stems from the fallout.

This vote today could be the vote that kills Rangers outright, or kills the integrity in the Scottish football league outright. If Rangers are in Division 3 then I can't see Charles Green keeping his side of the deal, setting up a football club, buying players etc. in time for the new season YET if there is a huge majority (as expected) wanting Rangers in Division 3 and the SFA step in to overturn it then I don't see how anyone could bother to watch such a sham of a league.

I just hope that directly after the vote today a vote of no confidence is passed towards practically all of the conspires responsible for attempting to fix Rangers into the SPL and then Division 1. Then this vote today can pass conclusion and the league can get itself underway in time for the next season.

Has anybody from the FA , off the record even, spoken out against what the FA is trying to do?

Nobody from the FA as far as I'm concerned, plenty of chairmen across the divisions have made some comments about a rigged system though. I'd have actively searched out some comments but I get the feeling there's no need now ^_^

Would have preferred they were booted out of the league setup altogether but I'll take this.

Great day for Scottish football.

This.

I'm glad the clubs didn't bow to league pressure or take bribes of a restructure or financial incentives. Rangers don't belong anywhere near the top of the pyramid and thankfully they now won't be.

These players of theirs that have signed on for the new club, will they still be willing to stay now they will have to play Montrose and Elgin City week in, week out?

Lol point taken General.

I have to say I admire all the clubs that voted, for doing what should have been done, rather than what they were told was the thing to do.

Hopefully the Scottish FA still go through with proposed changes, as I agree they shouldn't have been dependant on what division Rangers ended up in.

These players of theirs that have signed on for the new club, will they still be willing to stay now they will have to play Montrose and Elgin City week in, week out?

All six of them?

I'm still expecting the doomsday scenario I predicted before, Charles Green to walk and Rangers will not exist as a football club for the coming season thus all player contracts signed will be null and void. There is no way that Rangers would be able to afford the current team (well the six or seven players) on the contracts they currently have and will not be able to set up a football club, transfer assets and sign enough players in time for the first match.

I get the feeling Charles Green wishes he didn't "buy the Rangers contracts" then again it's just like I predicted earlier, he'll try and sue players willing to leave for nothing but won't claim accountability for releasing players on frees. I expect in the next few days for the administrators to check the contracts and suddenly realise "he didn't buy the contracts afterall", either that or just not say anything until June 30th and run as far away as possible.