The International Football Federations Thread

hugobomb

As I say, I blame the Soviets. The only tie most of these places (some of which border frikkin China) have to UEFA is that they used to be a small component of a political entity that used to be in it.

Then again, maybe UEFA's secret plan is to swallow up the world and usurp FIFA from the inside...

Looking at the wiki page now, aside from Kazakhstan, none of the 4 mentioned above are on there. Have they always come through Europe or are they new also?

They are still on the wiki page I linked to, though I don't think they are listed anywhere else as relating to UEFA. Those four have only been in the AFC since their split from the Soviet Union.

• 2 weeks later...
2014 World Cup: Fifa confirms GoalControl technology to be used

Fifa has confirmed that German-based manufacturer GoalControl will be the official provider of goal-line technology for the 2014 World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24484607

As I say, I blame the Soviets. The only tie most of these places (some of which border frikkin China) have to UEFA is that they used to be a small component of a political entity that used to be in it.

Then again, maybe UEFA's secret plan is to swallow up the world and usurp FIFA from the inside...

The problem also is that it's not really clear where Europe ends and Asia starts.

The problem also is that it's not really clear where Europe ends and Asia starts.

Istanbul, not Constantinople.

Oh come on, it's a little overplayed but The Final Countdown is not a bad song.

• 2 weeks later...

He should at least be forced to witness the shitfest the expanded Euros will be before calling for that kind of nonsense.

(Of course, the only thing about the expanded Euros he'll look at is the figure at the bottom of the commercial income sheet, so that may not work.)

Isn't the expanded Euros the one that's going to spread all over? I'm not sure how pretty that figure will end up looking tbh

No, Euro 16 starts the expanded euros, the one spread all over will be 2020.

I like the idea of a 40-team World Cup. A few more teams get the opprtunity to go to the big tournament, other continents get more representation and the format doesn't have to change or become awkward. Is it needed? Not at all but it could be interesting.

I think it would be quite an awkward format - whether it is eight groups of five or ten groups of four.

32 and 16 work - I've seen how tedious a 24 team Euros can be on FM <_<. Obviously, being from Wales, I have an interest in adding more teams to it, but despite that I don't think it would be very good.