The International Football Federations Thread

hugobomb

• Admin
World Cup 2022 in Qatar not to be held in June-July says Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke.
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not be held in June-July and would best be held in the winter time, Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke says. "To be honest, I think it will be held between November 15 and January 15 at the latest," says Valcke. The scheduling of the tournament has been hotly debated ever since it was controversially awarded to Qatar in December 2010, especially over fears that the summer heat in the Gulf emirate would be dangerous for players and fans alike.

• Admin

Introducing sin-bins as a punishment for players will be considered by a new group advising Fifa on law changes.

The sin-bin system is being trialled in the Dutch amateur leagues and last month Uefa chief Michel Platini called for time penalties to replace cautions.
"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," Platini said.
The two new panels, one of ex-players and coaches and the other officials and experts, will first meet in March.
They will report to the International Football Association Board (IFAB) - the body made up of Fifa and the four British home associations - which makes the final decision on law changes.
The so-called 'triple punishment', when a player is sent off after conceding a penalty and is then suspended, as well as revisiting the offside laws, could also be on the agenda.
Jonathan Ford, the Welsh FA chief executive who sits on IFAB, said: "Sin-bins have been mooted in the past - one would expect that it will be one of topics the new advisory panels take up."
Traditionally, IFAB have been regarded as unwilling to radically amend the laws of football, and Ford indicated he expected that approach to continue.

That's a good idea actually, probably would've saved Nasri his injury Sunday too as he'd have only been on the field five minutes...

I don't agree with removing the 'goalscoring opportunity' red card if its in the box though, if you make that challenge its your own stupid fault.

What about for time wasting? I can see it being hilarious/shite (depending) if a 'keeper gets sin-binned for time wasting during a goal kick at the end of a game.

I'm not in favour of sin bins. The way we have it now is fine, but adding retrospective yellowcards or suspensions for diving should be higher in the list of things to change.