The International Football Federations Thread

hugobomb

I get they're trying to inject 'purpose' into all the international matches that no one cares about...but I doubt it will do much given that no one is likely to give a shit about these leagues either.

It sounds like it might also rob national teams of about the only thing that I've ever acknowledged friendlies to be usual for - testing their team against others of specific types (e.g. "we've drawn X South American team in the upcoming World Cup, so we'll book a friendly match against Y South American team who play kind of similar", etc.).

There's still going to be room for arranged international friendlies, apparently.

I think it's a good idea in theory but we'll see how it works. I think it's a bit strange how it links in with the Euro 2020 qualifiers, I don't understand why low-ranked nations are getting spots in the finals?

And several former Italian U21 Internationals. And a couple of players that have been called up up England youth squads (Cook and Mowatt recently and Byram before his injury last year). And a Swiss international.

Oh and a Brazilian youth international. Basically most of our first team has been called up to an international squad

Where does it say about a bottom 16 team getting in? This is from the UEFA site:

In relation to the links between the UEFA Nations League and the UEFA EURO, the Executive Committee ratified that:

• The winner and runner-up in each of the ten EURO Qualifiers groups will qualify automatically for the UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament (June 2020)

The four remaining UEFA EURO 2020 places will be allocated to the winners of play-off matches which will take place in March 2020. Based on results in the UEFA Nations League, 16 teams will take part in the play-offs and are grouped four by four

• The UEFA EURO 2020 draw will be held after the completion of the UEFA Nations League and allow for the four UEFA Nations League Final Four participants to be drawn into groups of five teams

For the play-offs, the Executive Committee decided that:

The four group winners in each league qualify (16 teams) for the play-offs

• If winner(s) are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, the next best ranked team(s) within the league qualify for the play-offs

• Play-off slots are dropped down to a lower league if less than four sides remain available for a play-off qualification

• The play-offs will be played in the form of direct elimination (two semi-finals and a final)

So... yes, the lower ranked teams get into the play-offs but it doesn't explicitly state that the four group winners in a respective division will play off against each other.... does it?

Yes, it says grouped four by four, but it doesn't explicitly mention 'four by four within the division they cam from'.

Where does it say about a bottom 16 team getting in? This is from the UEFA site:

In relation to the links between the UEFA Nations League and the UEFA EURO, the Executive Committee ratified that:

• The winner and runner-up in each of the ten EURO Qualifiers groups will qualify automatically for the UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament (June 2020)

The four remaining UEFA EURO 2020 places will be allocated to the winners of play-off matches which will take place in March 2020. Based on results in the UEFA Nations League, 16 teams will take part in the play-offs and are grouped four by four

• The UEFA EURO 2020 draw will be held after the completion of the UEFA Nations League and allow for the four UEFA Nations League Final Four participants to be drawn into groups of five teams

For the play-offs, the Executive Committee decided that:

The four group winners in each league qualify (16 teams) for the play-offs

• If winner(s) are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, the next best ranked team(s) within the league qualify for the play-offs

• Play-off slots are dropped down to a lower league if less than four sides remain available for a play-off qualification

• The play-offs will be played in the form of direct elimination (two semi-finals and a final)

So... yes, the lower ranked teams get into the play-offs but it doesn't explicitly state that the four group winners in a respective division will play off against each other.... does it?

Yes, it says grouped four by four, but it doesn't explicitly mention 'four by four within the division they cam from'.

You're right, DFF. It's not expressly stated anywhere official (that I can find) that each League will be represented in EURO. But this graphic suggests (to me, at least) that each four-by-four playoff group is from within each League, waterfall allocations notwithstanding. Also, "16 teams will take part in the play-offs and are grouped four by four. Each group plays for one qualification spot....The four teams in each league will play two one-off semi-finals and one one-off 'final' to determine each of the four play-off winners." In the graphic, each group visibly descends from a different league (again, waterfall spots notwithstanding). To me, that suggests that we are going to see one of the bottom sixteen teams in Europe compete in EURO 2020. I know it's not official, and I agree there is a lot of room for interpretation on this one.

And then they advance to the Southwestern East Northern West Second Division roundrobin playoff to face Tampa for the right to play Buffalo for a 33% chance to be put into Group D against France, Djibouti and Sealand.

• Like 4

And then they advance to the Southwestern East Northern West Second Division roundrobin playoff to face Tampa for the right to play Buffalo for a 33% chance to be put into Group D against France, Djibouti and Sealand.

When we get to those knockout rounds, there is always the potential for Added Time Multiball!

• Like 1

When we get to those knockout rounds, there is always the potential for Added Time Multiball!

And if no clear winner is found, then France just get the trophy because Platini.

• Admin
Fifa will vote next week over whether to publicly release a disputed report into alleged corruption in the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
World football's governing body had insisted releasing the report would not be possible for legal reasons.
However, under a proposed amendment to Fifa's ethics code, an edited version of the report could be released.
The report edits would protect the identities of witnesses who co-operated with Michael Garcia's investigation.
German Theo Zwanziger, a Fifa executive committee member, has proposed that Article 36 of the governing body's ethics code, which currently prohibits the publication of the Garcia report, could be amended.
Fifa are due to meet in Marrakesh, Morocco, next week where the vote will take place.
Garcia, Fifa's independent ethics investigator, produced a 430-page report in September after a two-year investigation into alleged corruption.
Fifa ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert said Garcia's report could not be made public for legal reasons and released his own report, based on Garcia's work, which cleared World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar of wrongdoing.
Garcia has already appealed against Fifa's summary of his report, believing the conclusions and some of the facts to be "erroneous".
Next week's vote could allow a redacted version of Garcia's report to be published.

• Admin
Fifa's independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia has quit in protest over the handling of his report into bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
The American lawyer cited a "lack of leadership" at the top of football's world governing body.
Garcia said he lost confidence in the independence of judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, an ethics committee colleague.
Uefa president Michel Platini said: "We wanted all transparency but this is a new failure for Fifa."
The head of European football spoke out as Garcia resigned a day after Fifa's appeals panel rejected his challenge of Eckert's summary of his report.
Garcia said: "It is the lack of leadership on these issues within Fifa that leads me to conclude that my role in this process is at an end."
Russia won the right to host the 2018 World Cup, while Qatar was awarded the 2022 tournament. Fifa cleared both of corruption despite a series of allegations
Garcia's findings were released as a 42-page summary of the 430-page report.
He said the summary was "erroneous" and complained to Fifa, which said his appeal was "not admissible".
In his resignation statement, he said: "No independent governance committee, investigator, or arbitration panel can change the culture of an organisation."
Garcia said his submission to the Fifa appeal committee outlined what he called "the most serious failings" of Eckert's response.
"Among other points, the brief explained why, when viewed in the context of the report it purported to summarise, no principled approach could justify the Eckert Decision's edits, omissions, and additions," he said.
Fifa meets in Morocco this week and will decide whether to release a full, redacted copy of Garcia's report.