The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

• Admin

Blackburns offer to Ronaldinho is £20m over three years.

He must be a cert to sign. One last big pay cheque and playing in the PL.

Milan say they've had no contact from us at all about it.

Sounds just like a scheme to make it sound like the owners have some form of ambition, before settling for buying Kris Boyd :shifty:

And fucking Geovenni!

And don't forget Santa Cruz, Bentley, Duff, Shearer, Le Saux, Garner, Mimms et al :shifty:

I am really optimistic for our game at Fulham tonight. After nearly taking something from the Man United game with our brilliant performance (though part of it is to do with United not playing like a top 2 Premier League side at all), I have a lot of confidence that we can go and beat them. Our defence has took a really beating though with injuries, looks like Di Matteo's going to play: Zuiverloon, Meite, Scharner, Cech, that would be the sensible position as they are all playing in their natural or best positions. However, Meite is shit, even in his best position, Zuiverloon is inconsistent and Scharner/Cech are going to have to really work their bollocks off to make sure that big dopey twat doesn't cock up (referring to meat-head, of course) and be first to every loose ball otherwise Safe Hands will get hammered by whoever Fulham stick up front <_<

We need Odemwingie to hit form again today, too: if he gets through this match he'll get an 11 day break, and will be instantly forgiven if he scores a vital goal, something he has a nack of doing (Sunderland, Arsenal, West Ham. Newcastle etc.)

Also, it seems Fulham are in a bad way, and while I've always liked Mark Hughes and Fulham as a team, they are fucked if they don't pull their socks up - I can seriously see them biting the dust this season, in place of West Ham.

Blackburn could do a lot worse than signing Shearer and Le Saux. :shifty:

Hints are coming out of Ancelotti's mouth that a signing may actually be in order - the question is whether or not the player will be sub-par and over-priced like most of the board's attempted signings have been in recent times (e.g. £20 million for someone who'll end up forever third-choice behind Terry and Alex). Also, it seems highly likely to be a centre-back, which on the one hand is good. On the other hand, even if this one guy magically makes the defence watertight, it won't mean a great deal unless our bizarre inability to attack with any incision isn't remedied somehow. You'd see a lot of 0-0 draws that way.

Of course, if Chelsea are true to form, Alex will return from injury a week before the end of the window and Ancelotti (speaking for the board) will declare that "everything is fine with the squad now" and therefore no one need be signed. Then the day after the window shuts, someone else will get injured as is inevitable in, well, any football. I believe it's Ashley Cole's turn next.

It's funny actually, because his post ALMOST convinced me to put some money on them to beat Fulham. Glad I didn't, now. :P

No idea why all of this is in this thread, but still.

Anyway, the January window...

I have no problem with Fergie not bringing anyone in. We seem well covered in every area, except maybe on the wing, but come February we'll hopefully have Park and Valencia back, so all will be fine.

I only want Beckham to join for selfish reasons, really. I don't see the point in him returning to the PL, just to make sub appearances unless it's with us.

And do people still give a shit about Ronaldinho? He was shit scared of the PL when Utd supposedly enquired about him before he ended up at Barca. I can't see him making much of an impact now.

No, but it would be nice to see.

And I'm looking forward to Valencia's return. United have missed him, I think. He's pacey and you could usually rely on him to do something special when you needed it. I forget that United do have a fair few players out, or half fit. But, at the moment, they're not playing like a championship winning team. Then again, you win titles on scrappy 2-1 wins.

LA Galaxy confirm that they're happy to let Beckham go out on term as long as their terms are met.

As expected.

They just want to look like a serious outfit who can't just be walked all over.

You blame them ?

I ask because I know that if they'd just bent over and spread the cheeks because "TOTTY CALLED !" they sure as shit wouldn't have done anything to improve their image as a legit club.

This year has been enormous for outside interest for MLS players. The league has every right to, and should react to that outside interest just as any club anywhere else in the world would. Outside of that you're talking about LA's top global asset. Considering that he blew out his achilles last year in moving for a "quick loan" to Milan ... I'd say that making sure they cover their ass is just good business. It also expresses to the rest of the league to get your shit in gear, which is only good for the MLS as a whole.

I hope Juventus makes the move for Aquilani permanently.

I didn't say I DID blame them. I was just trying to discuss why they acted like they did. If I supported them I'd be happy they were standing up for themselves.

The US league is still a growing market whose season runs at a different time to the major European leagues. I think they'll find more and more that the good players will be happy to go and play there (for the money, lifestyle, player name brand "expansion" and to be a football "evangelist" out there) as long as they can take short term loans back to interested European teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more loans over the coming years, it's already happening.

The US league is still a growing market whose season runs at a different time to the major European leagues. I think they'll find more and more that the good players will be happy to go and play there (for the money, lifestyle, player name brand "expansion" and to be a football "evangelist" out there) as long as they can take short term loans back to interested European teams.

^ That right there is something I agree with 100%. I honestly feel that having a different season time frame is better for the league here. It opens up more options and our "transfer window" actually expands the window for certain types of players outside of the US.