Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joshy Roger

The MST3K Thread

373 posts in this topic

Me watching Starcrash :Well this movie is terrible...but it has a hot woman in a leather bikini for 1/2 of it...so I can deal..."

15 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

Starcrash

Reveal hidden contents

Those two were mentioned as being interested in cameoing in one of the Kickstarter updates the day before the Kickstarter closed as part of a final push to get them to hit some stretch goals. I know one of the other names mentioned in that definitely appears later in the season, dunno about the other two.

Me watching Starcrash: Marjoe Gortner's being out acted by his hair!

I am leaving the last episode till after my exams. So there will be new MST3k for me once that's all done.

I'm just glad that people are getting to experience Starcrash. A friend of mine is a big fan of cheesy old sci-fi movies, and we occasionally do "bad movie nights" at his place, and Starcrash was maybe the crowning jewel of the collection.

I had heard of it but I didn't know it featured former child preacher Marjoe!

On 20/04/2017 at 14:26, New Year New Srar! said:

Starcrash

Reveal hidden contents

Oh God, wait til you get to Carnival Of Magic!

1 person likes this

Invention exchange in 1107 is pretty great.

After this one I might take a break for a few days and chip away at some other shows; outside of my initial discovery of the show via Sci-Fi channel reruns at 6am Saturday mornings, MST3K has never been a show I watched a shit-ton of in a short amount of time, I liked to space it out more. But it's tough because I want to take part in conversations about the show and whatnot, and I'm definitely behind the curve on that front.

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I liked to space it out more.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Lint said:

Me watching Starcrash :Well this movie is terrible...but it has a hot woman in a leather bikini for 1/2 of it...so I can deal..."

That hot woman is Caroline Munro, who was also in the James Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, and both Doctor Phibes films (as his dead wife). She's also in the video for Adam Ant's song Goody Two Shoes.

Incidentally, her voice was dubbed by someone else for Starcrash.

Watching Episode 2. Crazy as the movie is, the riffing is too thick. I wish they had let more moments breathe the way they did in Episode 1.

I really, really liked Episode 3. Much better pacing and organic quality to the riffing and far fewer "bad movie is bad" jokes, which are my least favorite kind. Great episode.

Also, I just realized that the end credits music after The Love Theme on each episode is made up of original songs from old episodes, redone by The Skeleton Crew. This one had the Wild Rebels jingle and Livin' in Deep 13 (or whatever that's called.) Great touch.

Yeah, it took me until the penultimate episode to realise that, even though I'd already noticed Nelson/Murphy/Corbett getting a music credit.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:51, Skummy said:

:w00t: These are really blowing me away at this point. I love MST3K but I honestly didn't think it was this big a deal

1 person likes this

On 4/21/2017 at 12:51, Skummy said:

Actually thought that one was rather dull

Just watched episode 2, which was pretty good. 

Question, though: The end credits have Joel Hodgson listed as a character named Ardy, which IMDB has listed as being in 3 episodes. I don't recall him as showing up yet, so do they just have him listed in the credits for all episodes? 

41 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Question, though: The end credits have Joel Hodgson listed as a character named Ardy, which IMDB has listed as being in 3 episodes. I don't recall him as showing up yet, so do they just have him listed in the credits for all episodes? 

Ardy is the guy in the hazmat suit who sends the movies up to Jonah and the bots ("Movie in the hole!"). I want to say episode 3 is where they explain his presence/function.

2 people like this

Ah. That's cool. 

Got to  say my only gripe with the show is the theme. Its the weakest of the various versions of the MST3K themes, including the original KTMA version. 

While I wouldn't go as far as that (specifically, the KTMA version's inclusion), I do think it's a little less dynamic. I love the visual of this version of the Robot Roll Call, though, especially Crow jumping on Jonah's back. If you threw in the usual one-liners between the names then it'd be my favorite one of those specifically.

Watching Felicia Day's livestream. She talked about how the only reason she ever talked to Joel is because her brother (Ryon) loves him, and she wanted to get a picture with Joel just to rub it in his face while she was at a comic-con that he wasn't at.

3 people like this

I like the opening of the new series, though it's definitely not built around the theme as strongly as it used to be, so maybe that's it - I love the stop motion work, and the visual of the doors opening to Kinga and the Skeleton Crew as if it's a big musical number, with Jonah still utterly confused by it all, it plays well with Kinga's character being fixated on ratings and trying to impress. That Har Mar Superstar is the bandleader makes it even better. 

The theme, as standalone piece of music, is definitely weaker, but I think the opening overall more than makes up for that.

3 people like this

Someone on the MST3K subreddit said they should play around with the intro more next season, like a version where Servo accidentally gets sucked up by the tube instead of Jonah, and I am all-in on that idea.

3 people like this

Some thoughts on the final episode;

Spoiler

I was kind of hoping the wedding set-up would allow for a few more cameos as wedding guests - I purposefully tried to find out as little as I could about the new series and who would be appearing in it, to go in as blind as possible, so "original" cast-wise, I knew Mike Nelson wasn't involved, but wasn't sure about anyone else, so I was desperately hoping for a Trace cameo at the end, just because Clayton Forrester is brilliant. I kind of figured we'd get Joel popping up as "himself" too, and while it's not surprising that he didn't, as he definitely seems to want as much focus on the new MST3k as possible and not on himself, I was expecting he'd be in the last episode.

As it was, I felt the whole wedding premise was a good excuse for some stuff with Pearl, Brain Guy and Bobo (I love that Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett were in it at least), but was otherwise a bit of a messy ending that didn't really sit well with me. Obviously they can write their way out of having "killed" Jonah in any number of ways if there's a second season and he comes back, but it just seemed a really odd decision, creatively.

One little touch I loved, though, was Kinga's middle name being "Clayton". It made me smile just to see that character get a nod, and then I remembered that Clayton's middle names were Deborah Susan, so it keeps up the tradition of gender-swapping middle names in the Forrester family!