The MST3K Thread

Josh

I've only watched the first episode, and I love it. Thematically, it's much more Joel than Mike - the host segments being standalone little skits related to the movie, rather than any kind of ongoing narrative, which I much prefer. The "Every Country Has Its Monster" skit was genuinely great.

Jonah himself feels like a perfect middle ground between Joel seeming kind of unscripted and sleepily shambolic and Mike being more of a comic performer, and is a perfect fit. I was a little unsure of new Bot voices at the beginning, but they grew on me before the end. New Mads are great, and great choice of first movie.

Pretty much nothing bad to say yet, if they keep up this quality (or improve on it, as it sounds like they have!) through the rest of the series, then this easily has the chance to be one of the better seasons of MST3k, and bodes well for more in the future.

• Like 2

Cry Wilderness. Holy fucking shit.

A funny tidbit from the Mads segment:

Spoiler

When the trailer first dropped, a lot of people were misidentifying Rebecca Hanson in that group scene where the Mads were luring Jonah in as Mary Jo Pehl and had to be corrected repeatedly.

And then it turns out that oh, no, actually she's playing a clone of Pearl, so that confusion is actually the highest compliment imaginable.

• Like 2

Legit think Cry Wilderness is one of the best episodes of MST3K ever, and pretty much the perfect MST3K movie. Brilliant stuff.

I'm going to find it hard to not just binge watch this whole series.

One of the things I'm having a hard time adapting to is Servo's voice.  Through the years, the voices for Crow were at least reasonably close that, in a stretch, you could believe they were the same person, even in the new episodes. 

Servo's voice just sounds so different then I'm used to.  I don't hate it, its just taking some getting used to

Also...Episode 2 spoiler//

PEARL!  BOBO!  BRAIN GUY!

I more trouble with a new voice for Gypsy, tbh - but it's grown on me. It's like they've combined Magic Voice and Gypsy.

Totally agree with Skummy on how it feels. It's a bit Joel and a bit Mike.

I already have a favorite episode

Starcrash. Starcrash was great.

8 hours ago, Hobo said:

I already have a favorite episode

Hide contents

Starcrash. Starcrash was great.

Holy shit, I've not got that far yet, but that's a film I've seen! Can't wait for that one

• Like 1

Just finished the first episode. Honestly ya'll? They NAILED it.

I suppose there's ways it can improve, but that's a very strong start. It feels wonderfully familiar, yet they're stretching the boundaries in really inspired ways.

As a stray observation, Hampton Yount's Crow is exceptional.

I'm sticking with one episode per day to let them really sink in, but I can't wait to see the rest. This is extremely promising.

• Like 2

I'm watching Reptilicus right now, and so far its awesome. Totally agree about Hampton Yount as Crow, but Tom Servo's new voice is going to take some getting used to, since Baron Vaughn sounds nothing like Kevin Murphy. 

I looked Ib Melchior up, and, fun fact, he claims to have had the idea for Lost In Space first, and was even a consultant on the Lost In Space movie from the late 90s.

My internet connection died halfway through Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom, which is probably for the best, as I'm just blitzing my way through this series. It's absolutely perfect, though, couldn't really have asked for anything more. Great choices of films, brilliant riffs, and one or two of my all-time favourite host segments. I love the new opening sequence, too.

17 hours ago, Skummy said:

My internet connection died halfway through Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom, which is probably for the best, as I'm just blitzing my way through this series. It's absolutely perfect, though, couldn't really have asked for anything more. Great choices of films, brilliant riffs, and one or two of my all-time favourite host segments. I love the new opening sequence, too.

Oh thats a shame...Wiards Of The Lost Kingdom was fantastic.  Easily in my top 10 favorite episodes