The Survivor Thread

sahyder1

Doesn't help that I hate 90% of the cast too. Michael is an absolute fool and I sincerely hope he gets voted out sooner rather than later.

You are gonna get burned for that statement...

• Like 4

Doesn't help that I hate 90% of the cast too. Michael is an absolute fool and I sincerely hope he gets voted out sooner rather than later.

You are gonna get burned for that statement...

I see what you did there :rolleyes: he did become a bit more likeable as the season went on, I'll agree on that. I've warmed up to the cast a bit more, even if 50% of Kucha are still complete non-entities. Ogakor definitely lucked out on the Maze challenge and probably in the final immunity challenge before the merge were it not for Mike burning himself <_<

Just finished season seven, Pearl Islands. It was a good one. Once the merge hit I literally didn't have a clue who was going to get voted off at any of the tribal councils. Jon may be in my top 3 favorite contestants, if he isn't my very favorite. Even beyond the Grandma scheme, he was just a great and entertaining player who you always assumed was going to find a way out of a hole.

I wasn't a huge Sandra fan, but I didn't mind her and I was very happy that Lill did not win the show. That really would've soured me on the outcast twist, which I started to have second thoughts on anyway.

Savage and Ryan O. got a raw deal, I enjoyed them and thought they deserved to go further in the game than they did. That Morgan tribe was a damn mess and they made the most they could out of it.

Onto season 9. I've only seen bits and pieces of season 8, but I know enough of how it plays out that it's not as high on my list. I've only just watched the premiere of season 9, not sure what to think about it yet, but it's got potential. Hoping for a couple contestants to jump out at some point.

Just finished season seven, Pearl Islands. It was a good one. Once the merge hit I literally didn't have a clue who was going to get voted off at any of the tribal councils. Jon may be in my top 3 favorite contestants, if he isn't my very favorite. Even beyond the Grandma scheme, he was just a great and entertaining player who you always assumed was going to find a way out of a hole.

I wasn't a huge Sandra fan, but I didn't mind her and I was very happy that Lill did not win the show. That really would've soured me on the outcast twist, which I started to have second thoughts on anyway.

Savage and Ryan O. got a raw deal, I enjoyed them and thought they deserved to go further in the game than they did. That Morgan tribe was a damn mess and they made the most they could out of it.

Onto season 9. I've only seen bits and pieces of season 8, but I know enough of how it plays out that it's not as high on my list. I've only just watched the premiere of season 9, not sure what to think about it yet, but it's got potential. Hoping for a couple contestants to jump out at some point.

Ah, I forgot Season 9, Vanuatu, seen bits of pieces of it, was really bored. I'd still watch season 8, All-Stars, if I was you. A very bitter but interesting season. "Don't be stupid, stupid!"

Decided to change things up. I have ditched season 9 for the time being and I am going back to season 4, Marquesas. After season 3 I only caught a few episodes of each of the following seasons, and than the finales. And eventually around season 7 I stopped watching for some reason.

I didn't think it would be worth rewatching the seasons where I knew the ending, but I’m finding it to still be interesting to watch unfold so far on season 4. Especially watching how Rob’s game has changed over the years and the multiple attempts. I’m six episodes in and the merge is about to take place, so far I’m liking Pascal and getting very much annoyed by John the Nurse.

So I actually started doing this in the fall, but I've yet to comment. I loved Heroes versus Villains and decided I want to go back and re-watch the seasons to see how the game has evolved.

Loved the first season. It was so interesting to see the game at its simplest form. I loved the Final Four, especially Rudy, and I wouldn't have really wanted to see anyone else there except maybe Colleen. I found Jenna to be extremely annoying and I hated Sean's voting strategy, if you can even call it that.

Australia, Africa, and Marquesas were all good, too. Would have liked to see Colby walk away with it, but Tina was also a fine choice. I liked Lex at first, but he started to get on my nerves. Boston Rob's first go around was a treat to watch. He came off a little strong and that's what ultimately led to his departure early after the merge. I love that three seasons later, he's still playing the same game, just a little smarter.

I hated Thailand. I didn't like anybody there. At least the right person won. The Amazon was refreshing after Thailand. It had a great cast. Rob was one of my favourite players to ever play, and Matt was fun in a "is he really that crazy", kind of way.

Just started watching Pearl Islands, and like The Amazon, it has a strong cast. Rupert, Jonny Fairplay, Sandra, Osten, Lilly.

I’m six episodes in and the merge is about to take place, so far I’m liking Pascal and getting very much annoyed by John the Nurse.

Couldn't stand John. He's in that category of players who think they can be mastermind strategic players but can't pull it off (see: Brandon and Silas from Africa, though thankfully John isn't that stupid).

Just a random question I thought off. Has anyone done a complete turn-around on players you either didn't like at first and then liked, or liked at first and then hated them by the end. And to add on to that, have you ever changed your opinion about someone after re-watching them play?

To answer the first one, I hated Robb at the beginning of Thailand, but as the season progressed, I really got to like him. His "break-through" at the last fire before he got voted out really changed my opinion of him.

I didn't like Sandra in Pearl Islands when I watched it the first time, so I was rooting against her in HvV, but she really played a smart game. Watching her in PI now, I'm really not seeing why I disliked her so much. She's lots of fun.

I also appreciated Robb more as the season progressed and I became wistful for when he tried to strangle Clay.

I initially couldn't stand Michael in Outback but I turned the corner on him when he caught and killed the pig because that's awesome.

He totally did, and the editors did like a slow-motion close-up with eerie music for him at that point too. Great TV character, it's regrettable he never got a second shot at it.

Phillip this season is the first guy that comes to my mind, haha. He drove me nuts at first, now I find him highly entertaining and somewhat game smart.

I agree about Sandra. I didn't care for her at times on Pearl Islands, but she grew on me as the season went along. I'm only 6 episodes into Marquesas, but I really didn't like Sean at first, right now I am starting to like him more.

Edited by bill_da_bill

I’m six episodes in and the merge is about to take place, so far I’m liking Pascal and getting very much annoyed by John the Nurse.

Couldn't stand John. He's in that category of players who think they can be mastermind strategic players but can't pull it off (see: Brandon and Silas from Africa, though thankfully John isn't that stupid).

Yeah, John the Nurse was fucking annoying, but to be fair, he had the perfect game plan in front of him. Up until that season, it had been "go into the merge with the numbers" and you are set. He just got fucked because it was the first season where someone on the bottom of the alliance said "Oh God! If I stick with this, I'm not going to even come close to winning" and flipped. I think that probably had a lot to do with how unbearable John became.

Just a random question I thought off. Has anyone done a complete turn-around on players you either didn't like at first and then liked, or liked at first and then hated them by the end. And to add on to that, have you ever changed your opinion about someone after re-watching them play?

For watching the season first time around: I hated Rafe at first, but man after the merge, he dominated and I begun to love the guy.

He had the game won, but screwed up the last two days.

For rewatching a season: I didn't like Eliza the first time I watched Vanuatu. But the last time I watched it, I thought she was hands down one of the few reasons the season was interesting, both strategically and character-wise.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Six episodes into Amazon. Heidi is simultaneously completely unbearable as a person and also completely hilarious as a source of malaprops and misquotes. "I'm sort of between a rock and a hard stone," "expecting to wake up this morning as part of this... team working together as a team."

Just finished the eleventh episode of Amazon. Rob C. is so great. It sort of feels like every couple seasons there's a game and a player in it who pushes the overall mentality of how to play the game a little further along. With Borneo it was Richard Hatch, during Marquesas I don't think you could outright pinpoint a certain player (probably a combination of Sean, Boston Rob, V, and unintentionally John), and with Amazon it's absolutely Rob C. who's trying something that hadn't really been done before in playing the swing-vote/lynchpin role effectively.

I wish I was American, I would try out every season <_< They like having people who have very active and/or interesting lives. Girls usually need to be attractive, guys can look normal so you might have a shot if you try out.

@GoGo, Rob C was awesome in the Amazon. He has his own podcast now with his wife which is great. He talks to former Survivor players and also gets the player that got kicked off Redemption Island every week. He recently had a talk with Parvati, which was interesting, and Tyson has been hilarious too. Shame that awesome Rob C didn't come back in All Stars, or his edit was just shit.

The edit was shit. Let's be honest here: people will only really have the chance to show their game play once. All Star seasons aren't "true seasons" of Survivor. Survivor is X amount of strangers on an island who have to systematically vote each other out for a million dollars. All Star seasons are unfair because not only do you personally know some of the people who you've played with, but you've watched a great deal of the people playing. Rob C, Tina, Richard Hatch, Ethan were all sitting ducks in All Stars. They played to hard and to smart the time before to not be voted out by their peers. That's probably also why the final 3 weren't really All Stars and no one would have predicted they make it that far and why the first few votes saw the biggest characters and winners go.

EDIT: But than Richard Hatch wouldn't have been as amazing as he was in All Stars. His "I don't care, go fuck yourself" attitude was one of the best characters to emerge in Survivor.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

He talks to former Survivor players and also gets the player that got kicked off Redemption Island every week.

Yeah, I linked to his interview with Stephanie a while back. Didn't actually realize who he was at the time, though!

Just hit the final four. The edit of Heidi calling herself a "mastermind" whilst Matthew and Rob look at each other amusedly (and over in the jury Dave just buries his head in his hands and Deena leans back with this "oh bullshit" look on her face) was awesome. Since I know Jenna wins I'm assuming she pulls a Kim from Africa and wins in Immunity, but who knows.

EDIT: Hahahahaha, the smile on Christy's face and little "and nothing of value was lost" shrug after Heidi's voted out. Awesome.

EDIT II: I love Alex being the token bitter jury member when one of the final two was Jenna, who did not screw him over at any point. Way to be, Alex.