The Survivor Thread

sahyder1

Honestly, I haven't heard him do much beyond his usual level of self-deprecation. At least not for Amazon; he's pretty much gone on record as saying that fucking up All-Stars pretty much crushed him and made him stop watching Survivor for a couple of years and when he jokes about his performance there it always feels like he's kidding on the square. Not that he was the only person to take All-Stars waaaaaay too seriously.

Finished China! Great season.

Very happy with the winner, Todd played one of the all around best games of any winner, and his final jury performance was great. I hate the whole "I'm sorry I lied to you, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, I tried to be honest" thing that most people do. I like that Todd just went flat out told them he was playing to win, and it worked. I was worried that people were going to be pissed, although I figured he had JR's vote, I thought Amanda was going to do better than she did. Glad it worked out the way it did.

I think the "I played the game better than you" will only work with certain people. Todd was well liked by everybody, he socialized, he knew how to get into people's good books. Contrast that with other players (like Twila) who weren't well liked, didn't socialize and seemed to go out of their way to get into people's bad books. Amanda was stupid for taking Todd to the finals - he was social, he knew how to speak well, and everybody in the game recognized the threat he was. Amanda was scared of Denise sympathy votes, but by taking Todd, she was ensuring any votes she might have got, would go to Todd who was more likeable.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Amanda Kimmel or Russell Hantz, who's the worst final jury performer of all time? Clearly has to be one of them.

Russell, hands down. He was arrogant, he mocked people, he insulted them, he was smug. Amanda was timid in China and in Micro she stepped it up a bit more, but she still wasn't convincing. But I think Amanda had more positives overall than Russell. On top of that, Russell voted off his two goats (Shambo/Jaison, Danielle/Candice), whereas Amanda only voted off Denise and in Fans vs. Favorites had a reasonable shot of beating Parvati, but probably would have a slightly better shot against somebody like Erik or Natalie.

FvF complete. Amazing season, probably top 3 with Borneo and Pearl Islands.

Fairplays exit was disappointing, but I already knew about it. I was very impressed with Tracy, despite the numbers seemingly being against her she had control of the Fans tribe up until the switch, and might have been able to do some damage later on had Chet been even slightly less useless. Everything involving immunity idols was hilarious. Erik giving up immunity might be my favourite moment ever, when Cirie suggested it I couldn't stop laughing. Once again, I wish Cirie could have won, but I'm happy with Parvati, she played a really solid game and deserved it. I still really don't like Ozzy. It really annoyed me when Lex got mad at Rob because Rob outsmarted him in Allstars, just because they knew each other in real life, and the same thing happened here with Ozzy and Parvati.

I'm probably skipping to Tocantins now, just so I can catch up on Coach before I jump into the current season. Quick question, will Gabon and Samoa be heavily spoiled for me if I watch HvV first? I don't know who wins either season, but I do know where Russell finishes.

Edited by pizzamonkey

Nope. The most you're missing by not seeing Gabon is not knowing how awesome Randy is and the most you're missing by not seeing Samoa is realizing that Russell is basically playing his exact same game and making the exact same mistakes two seasons in a row.

Finished watching Nicaragua:

My god, did the cast suck or what? It seemed that aside from Jud and Dan, the rest of the cast were a bunch of unlikeable douchebags. I guess the only upside to the season is watching Jeff blatantly try to manipulate all the players into doing the producer's bidding.

Finished watching Nicaragua:

My god, did the cast suck or what? It seemed that aside from Jud and Dan, the rest of the cast were a bunch of unlikeable douchebags. I guess the only upside to the season is watching Jeff blatantly try to manipulate all the players into doing the producer's bidding.

"Fabio, Dan, if you guys vote with Jane, you could force a tie.."

• 3 weeks later...

HvV epsiode 6.

Tyson is maybe dumber than Erik. It's close. Jesus Christ.

I know Russell got Shanes spot because he's Russell and whatever, by why did they take Shane out and leave Tyson in? Tyson was alright in Tocantins but wasn't amazing, and they already had two from that season.

Edited by pizzamonkey

One thing you have to keep in mind with Tyson's move was that it involved a lot more of Russell and Parvati fucking with his head than was shown on camera. And that's two people who are really good at fucking with peoples' heads. It was pretty amazingly dumb but in no way was that dumber than what Erik did, and sadly it won't even be the dumbest move you'll see in HvV.

Shane for Tyson would have been a good swap, but I think the two people who I know were in the running to be cast but weren't who Tyson was actually competing with were Jean-Robert and Ace. Survivor seems to have character slots for their All-Star seasons, and Shane was in Russell's "wild card" slot.

Swap Tyson out and the Villians have Randy, Russell, Shane, Rob and Coach against James, JT, Tom, Rupert and Colby. I know Colby does horrible in the challenges during the season, but on paper that's pretty uneven. Also considering the Villians had Sandra and Courtney, they would have been blown out of the water. It's not a coincidence that when you vote Tyson and Rob off back to back you lose basically every challenge after.

I should really finish Nicaragua one of these days.

Not really missing out on anything to be honest, if you've gotten to the quitters episode, just stop there. The entire season falls apart after that, due to a lack of anything interest going on. NaOnka and her craziness was the only thing the show had going for it up until that point, from an entertainment stand point.

Eh, I think the pre-merge section was pretty strong, much stronger than Gabon or Tocantins, mostly thanks to Marty.

And yeah, I agree with RPS. You need Tyson on the Villains tribe because not a lot of notable Survivor villains were really forces in the challenge game. Ace would have been an acceptable substitute in that regard, but not Shane.

• 5 weeks later...

Just letting everyone know that the next class of the Survivor Hall of Fame is open for voting for this week. Three spots this year, which I guess makes sense. Fan votes aren't the sole determining factor (Probst, Burnett, etc. also vote) but still.

Top three vote getters when someone tallied them yesterday are Rob C., Cirie, and in a distant third Todd. Not really the "right" answers in my opinion but I voted for Rob C. and Cirie anyway because I think they're both vitally important players to the evolution of game strategy (my third vote went to Tina Wesson because Jesus, it's Tina Wesson), and I want to see just how much the fan vote factors in.

Who belongs to be mentioned alongside Parvati Shallow, ‘Boston’ Rob Mariano, Russell Hantz, Richard Hatch, and Sandra Diaz-Twine? I answered earlier in the thread and can't remember what I voted. If it were me, I'd probably go Cirie, Tina and Fairplay. I think the problem that would hold any of them back is there performance in returning seasons. I'd include Tina because she invented the female, social game strategy and is the second winner, Cirie because she basically controlled the end-game of Exile Island, the whole game of FvF and was one of the best narrators of Survivor and Fairplay because he truly is an iconic and revered character in the shows history.