The Survivor Thread

sahyder1

Even with knowing who ultimately wins and how it basically plays out, it's still really fascinating to watch people try to figure out how to play the game, and the absolute massacre that results from that difference in philosophy. Without spoiling what he does, Sean in particular plays in a manner so completely bizarre that it only could have happened in the first season.

I'll probably put my thoughts on it in this post and keep editing it unless something major comes up:

Ep.1 - Yeah, Sonia was obviously going. They were winning that challenge until she messed up, ultimately, and she even admitted that she was too weak to really go on. Would have changed everything though if Sue had voted with the younger girls to get rid of Rudy knowing what happens...but, yeah, I already like Rudy/Richard/Sue and barely anyone off the other tribe has made an impact other than the old guy who's a bit too cranky.

Eps. 2-4 - No surpise with anyone who went, to be honest. B.B. was an obvious one and "wanted" to go, Stacey was on the wrong side of the friends of Rudy group and Ramona sucked from day one. Pretty sure that jesus guy (Dirk?) and Gervase are going to be out soon enough too. To pick up on what GoGo said, Sean apparently is playing the role of Hurley with his bowling alley/absolutely useless in most respects game. Sue/Kelly/Rudy/Richard are obviously doing very well in comparison with everyone. Maybe it's because I know what happens, but the edit is clearly showing them to be superior to Pagong and...yeah >_<

Edited by Katsuya

The first season is fun to watch because it's funny how all Seasons after in some way or another mirror the first season. I mean, how many seasons has an old woman been booted in the first episode? At least seven seasons have featured the token older woman getting the boot.

EDIT: And also, BB as the bitchy and bossy old man. They've gotta have one of those every season who gets booted early.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Favorites: Yul. Penner. Cao Boi. Becky. (Cook Island: The One With The Funny Racism). Courtney, James (China) Cirie, Bob (Exile Island). Sandra, Fairplay (Pearl Islands). Taj, Coach. (The Coach Show) Yau Man and Earl. (The Yau Man and Earl Show Featuring The Turtle!) Sugar. Hatch. Black Widow Jerri.

Least Fav: Rocky (The Yau Man and Earl Show featuring thinly veiled homophobic bullying and a younger white male.. well, in fairness italian repeatedly calling his older black bullying victim... boy. Stay classy Rock.) Nate, Parvati, Candace (Cook Island). Russell (The last 18 seasons) Racist Randy.... Just... Dude. Really? Dude. Racist Ben (Samoa.) Jane From Nicaragua, something about that woman's teeth and her irrational anger just bugs me.. Oh yeah, Shambo (Samoa) and while we're at good ol' Sue Hawk. Sue Hawk 2.0 Jerri. (HvV) Colby's Corpse (HvV)

Edited by Pleatherface

To pick up on what GoGo said, Sean apparently is playing the role of Hurley with his bowling alley/absolutely useless in most respects game.

Dare you doubt the power of the SuperPole 2000? (SPOILER: He never, ever catches a fish with that thing.)

Personally, I love the fact that Sue/Rich/Kelly/Rudy didn't have enough faith in him to understand the concept of an alliance or whatever to include him in their group...logically they went in to that first merged TC at a huge disadvantage because Pagong could - and arguably should - have all voted for Rich or Rudy, who were clearly top of the list. The most interesting thing is that Gervese (or however you spell his name) was going to vote for Grechen too, but changed to Sue. If he'd have kept it on Grechen then the Tagi alliance could have looked like even more of a threat.

Still, I'm surprised they chose Grechen and not someone like Gervese to go, considering he did fairly well in the immunity challenge. She never role shone as anything other than the mother hen of Pagong.

ETA: Oh my word. "Greg, going alphabetically...I don't think this vote is going to mean very much."

Edited by Katsuya

So, Pagong have well and truly been Pagonged off the show now. I do feel a bit sorry for Colleen since she wasn't meant to go and Rich even said so, although I'm finding myself going off him slightly. Rudy's practically invisible, Kelly's self-righteous stick has got tiresome, and Sue's not really doing much. I'm almost liking Sean just for being so goddamn clueless.

Watching Pearl Islands.

Outcast Tribe twist is one of the cooler twists I have seen in the Survivor game. Holy hell.

Whaaaaat? I think you are the only person who I have ever met who liked this twist.

Watching Pearl Islands.

Outcast Tribe twist is one of the cooler twists I have seen in the Survivor game. Holy hell.

Whaaaaat? I think you are the only person who I have ever met who liked this twist.

I can see why. I recognize where it takes the "spirit of survivor" and and gives it the middle finger.

But the dynamic that it created strategy wise and with alliances an everything else going into the merge was fantastic watching.

So I can see where it'd rub people the wrong way, but it upped my watching enjoyment and has made the post-merge a clusterfuck that's been a ton of fun to watch go down. I'm at the final six right now. If my memory serves me right I think I might know who won just from hearing about it, but I'm not 100% on it so it's been a really fun watch.

Not sure why I stopped watching after season 3 and just started back up now.

Watching Pearl Islands.

I can see why. I recognize where it takes the "spirit of survivor" and and gives it the middle finger.

But the dynamic that it created strategy wise and with alliances an everything else going into the merge was fantastic watching.

So I can see where it'd rub people the wrong way, but it upped my watching enjoyment and has made the post-merge a clusterfuck that's been a ton of fun to watch go down. I'm at the final six right now. If my memory serves me right I think I might know who won just from hearing about it, but I'm not 100% on it so it's been a really fun watch.

I hated the Outcast twist, especially because it just had boring people anyway. It also gives them kind of an unfair advantage because they come in as the swing vote + they haven't really pissed anyone off yet. Redemption Island also gives people a way to get back, but you have to fight for it every day, the outcasts just had to wait 'till that one challenge.

Still, Pearl Islands was fairly entertaining due to Fairplay. Never liked Rupert.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Aaaaand that's S1 finished. Snake & the Rat was epic...I actually was a bit thrown off by Sue going out 4th, I thought she was going to make it to the F3. Rich did deserve to win against Kelly, if only because she was completely two-faced and deserved 90% of what Sue threw at her. I think of all the top five, I'd probably have liked Rudy or Sue to win it the most, but I'm not unhappy with Hatch winning it.

Watching Pearl Islands.

I thought the twist itself was entertaining in that it injected chaos into the game, but I think it was a low in terms of Survivor game play. I have no problem with the Redemption Island twist, because the players know someone is coming back and it's altering how the game is played. Outcasts didn't have the same feel because it just felt like they didn't deserve to reenter the game and tarnished the reputation. Ditto for the "Rich vs. Poor" twist in Fiji.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Snake & the Rat was epic

Yes yes yes yes yes. Even if since it was Sue Hawk it wasn't always the most articulate speech, the fact that she started it out with "ha ha you lost to Gervase at your own job" was just gloriously mean. SPOILER: You'll frequently get one person per Final Jury trying to do their own Sue Hawk speech. Most of them are nowhere near as good (there was a decent one in Marquesas, and the Final Jury of Thailand is basically one extended one from every single member of the jury in some way or other).

Plus, in honor of that speech I now refer to beating someone handily as stomping on them.

Watching Pearl Islands.

I thought the twist itself was entertaining in that it injected chaos into the game, but I think it was a low in terms of Survivor game play. I have no problem with the Redemption Island twist, because the players know someone is coming back and it's altering how the game is played. Outcasts didn't have the same feel because it just felt like they didn't deserve to reenter the game and tarnished the reputation. Ditto for the "Rich vs. Poor" twist in Fiji.

Ok yeah I see what your saying there. And I do think it was unfair in the spirit of the game, just tossed a heck of a wrench into the show and made it fun to watch go down. I like Jon and it gave him a lifeline which he needed too.

Had I been Savage or Ryan O. though I would've been furious about it cause it literally cost them a shot at going further.

Yeah. Bringing people back who had been voted out without telling the audience or the players up until that point seemed like a "jumping the shark" moment. It didn't kill them, but it seemed really unfair and against the very idea of what Survivor was. But you are right, it did give Jon the lifeline, let him stay in and as a result, the infamous lie occurred, so we got that.

Hm. On to Australian Outback and I'm not sure if I'm enjoying this season as much. Partially because the tribes seem fairly one dimensional, but I think it's also quite a lot to do with the setting. After all the natural beauty and colour etc. of the jungle in Borneo to the same shots over and over again in the Outback, there's something of a let down I feel.

Doesn't help that I hate 90% of the cast too. Michael is an absolute fool and I sincerely hope he gets voted out sooner rather than later. I sort of like Kimmi for some reason, mainly because she's probably the only other person on Kucha who's shown any signs of a personality. Ogakor's just the Jerri show...well, in reality, it seems like the entire season so far has been the Jerri show. I was really sad to see Marilyn go since she was probably my favourite person on Ogakor. For some reason I've also got an affinity to Amber, even though I hatehatehate Romber as a whole thanks to TAR (although that's probably more a hatred of Rob than anything else).