House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Episode 1-4 spoilers:

I fucking hate the deviation for the books for Brienne and Sansa. It made Brienne look like a total moron that she just went ahead and asked Sansa whether she could protect her, it almost feels like they haven't made her learn anything from everything she's encountered so far. And her not even mentioning to Sansa "Hey, by the way, your sister's alive" is a missed opportunity for some fun plotting from Littlefinger there, I think. And I honestly cannot see Sansa saying yes to marrying Ramsay, she'd never do that after what happened to Robb. Unless... I can't remember if she knows that Littlefinger betrayed Ned or not. If so then maybe I can sort of believe that due to prior behavior.

Varys, after being one of the most bad ass characters in this series, looked like a bumbling fool in Volantis. He barely said anything of note on the road, and when he got to Volantis, what exactly was the reason he lost sight of Tyrion? What was he distracted by in a brothel, considering he's never given two fucks about stuff like that. The exit shot of him looking like "Er, where did you go, Tyrion? Er..." sucked so much, it took away so much of his coolness.

I also don't really believe that Jaime would kill Tyrion for killing Tywin, it totally goes against everything that his relationship with both of those were. Just wasn't a fan of that.

And they better not fucking kill Grey Worm, damn it. Grey Worm saving Barristan at the end was so awesome.

Besides that, I think I'm okay with all the changes, and love the way it's progressing. The stuff with the Sparrows and the High Sparrows was total fun, as was the Sons of the Harpy stuff. The Tommen / Margaery / Cersei stuff is so much fun too, and I love the Wall stuff now. It used to be the most boring part of the show (except for Bran of course). By the way is Bran not appearing in season 5 at all? I miss me some Hodor.

The only person who knew about Littlefinger's plotting in King's Landing was Lysa Arryn. And she went flying. So no, Sansa doesn't know that Littlefinger betrayed Ned. And she is sorta coming around to Littlefinger and slowly starts to trust him. I can see that she would follow his orders and marry Ramsey.

And what was Varys supposed to do? Follow Tyrion outside and watch him take a piss? He couldn't have anticipated that Jorah was in the same location as he was. But then again he has his birds everywhere so maybe you have a point.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

I wouldn't count out Sansa as just blindly going along with Littlefinger's plan. There was enough seeds planted to make me believe she is going to plot on her own while he is gone. She'll (try to) have her revenge on the Boltons, I'm sure. The North remembers.

Rumors I've heard regarding Sansa that deviate from books majorly(only read if you've read the books, or just don't care):

Sansa is eventually going to take on Lady Stoneheart's role from the books, without becoming undead. And may not even use that name.

Makes no sense whatsoever. I could see Arya doing that, but not her. Unless Littlefinger helps.

So do episode 2 stuff go in spoilers now it's been aired?

Just in case-

-Podrick Payne 4 lyfe. Brienne would be so useless without him. Like, she might literally not've noticed Sansa in the same fucking pub as her.

-I'm torn, on the one hand, fuck the plot deviation, but on the other, SER BRONN IN THE HOUSE!

-But I would much rather have had just the adventures of Bronn and Lollys, just chilling around on the beach, fucking up Lollys' mean ass sister.

-Mrs Stannis is a biatch.

-Also, the dude that Daenerys had killed at the end, I've definitely seen him in something before, dunno what though.

EDIT- It's Earl fucking Kelly that's who it is.

Episode 2 spoilers.

It's only taken 4 seasons but I'm finally enjoying the Daenerys story again. Haven't been able to say that since the first season.

It's easy to forget in a show like this, but GoT is seriously funny at times. Varis and Tyrion are amazing together and the more time Bronn and Podrick are on my screen the better.

I loved the theme of ruling in this episode, in particular the theme of making unpopular decisions. It was great seeing Jon's reaction when he was made Lord Commander, an initial smile followed by a look of "oh, fuck". A nice touch, given what happens to most leaders in this world.

I haven't read the books, but I've seen some articles/headlines saying they are starting to deviate from them. I haven't read much into it as I don't want to run into spoilers, but I'd be interested to know whether the deviations are significant or not?

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

My problem with it is that she's trying to take her away from Littlefinger, okay, that makes sense from her perspective... but take her back where? To Kings Landing, somewhere much worse? I can excuse it because Brienne has always been a bit too fast to action, so it's not out of character, but it definitely makes her seem a bit silly.

• Like 1

brienne is basically john cena of GoT. that scene with her and sansa one of the worst in the show

Why was it? Brienne is basically female Ned Stark, what with all her honour and duties etc.

She's even as naive as he was too, that's why she can't understand why people question her motives, don't believe her honorable intentions or refuse her service. But look at how she would be viewed from the outside.

Was present at Renly's death along with Cat Stark, who certainly couldn't have killed him.

Swore to protect Cat Stark, failed.

Delivered Jamie Lannister back to Kings Landing and is now carrying a Lannister forged Valyrian steel sword and is accompained by a known Lannister squire.

If you were a Stark who is wanted for regicide by the Lannisters and were presented with that as evidence, would you trust her?

• Like 3

Yeah I don't see how it was a bad scene at all. It reinforced character traits in a way that felt genuine to the character (she's honorable) and the world (honorable people don't succeed), developing the character beyond Tall Badass That Felt Sorry for Jaime Lannister. That's what you want writers to do.

Edited by livid

My problem with it is that she's trying to take her away from Littlefinger, okay, that makes sense from her perspective... but take her back where? To Kings Landing, somewhere much worse? I can excuse it because Brienne has always been a bit too fast to action, so it's not out of character, but it definitely makes her seem a bit silly.

Brienne's current story just seems like a device to get her to Winterfell for a chance to face off against Stannis. I imagine she'll join the Boltons to protect Sansa and then die in battle.

I wanted the Brienne storyline to result in her beating the living daylights out of Jaime after one insult too many, leading to Jaime finally shutting up and learning to respect her. While we sort of got that, it wasn;;t nearly as satisfying as I wanted it to be, but not everyone does get their comeuppance on this show. I do quite like the way Gwendoline Christie plays the role, though. Brienne is supposed to be a female misfit trying to live in what is traditionally a world of knights in shining armour, and the way in which Christie portrays a well-intentioned, battle-hardened, yet somewhat socially and diplomatically inept woman fits the part well in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recorded the simulcast whilst I was at home and watched it before I came back to Cardiff, so I've spoilered a few thoughts for those waiting until this evening.

Stannis continues to be exceptionally good.

Jaime finally found a use for his fake hand!

I don't really think they could have dropped more hints towards a certain fan theory if they tried :P

Faith Militant are fucking terrifying. I do like how they've been handling the religious aspects this season.

Ser Barristan :crying:

Not really enjoying this season so far...

Kind of sick already of the two groups in two places suddenly appearing (Harpies and Sparrows) and taking over the streets of their respective cities, it just feels a lot like filler rather than focusing on the stories we've spent four seasons on. I do like that we're finally getting to the religious aspects though.

Still want to fucking know where Gendry is as well.

Also killing Ser Barristan sucks, I really liked him, but it keeps with the usual "you can't be a genuinely moral man in this world" theme.

I actually quite like that they've gone so far from the books, because holy fuck that episode. Thoughts on the end-

I think they missed a trick on the reveal of which queen Jorah was taking Tyrion to. In the book that was a holy shit moment for sure, but this was just like a "oh by the way," kinda deal.

I really hope that Barristan and Grey Worm are still alive, though they looked pretty fucked up. This bit in relation to the books-

I want to see the Barristan vs that pit fighter guy. So I hope they are alive.

Oh wow, Cersei.

On top of the most obvious dumb thing she did this week, there's the second, more delightful potential fuckup; she just sent her main enforcer to Braavos.

Braavos, where precisely one other main cast member is. A main cast member that's wanted to kill him for like three and a half seasons. Watch out for A Girl, Meryn Trant.