House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I'm not really thinking about the spin-off series yet. I'll certainly give it a look and I'll probably stick with it unless it's particularly bad, but I won't go in expecting something to match the quality of the main show's first four series. If it did, that would be amazing, but it's a hard standard to live up to, especially without the benefit of the books as guidance.

On 12/05/2019 at 18:48, Jericode said:

I fear I've seen a huge spoiler. Time will tell.

It was wrong! Episode thoughts:

Spoiler

It told me Dany killed Arya. Was really surprised she survived.

Emilia Clarke's acting was on point, the past few episodes would have been a total mess without her.

Jaime's entire story feels like it was totally erased in just two episodes, as nice as the end moment was for them.

Cleganebowl was dope. Qyburn's death was amazingly sudden.

Intrigued how they do the finale now, but feel a lot better about it than I did after episode 4.

Spoiler

I'm really surprised to see the opinion that Jaime's character has somehow been undone or ruined. Of course he'd go back to Cersei. That's what people in toxic relationships do. For better or worse, they're bound to each other. The fact that he went not to fight on her side or to kill Dany, but just to give up everything and try and get Cersei out of King's Landing is a testament to his character growth over the series. It would have been less believable if he went back to kill her or just stayed with Brienne. That's not how he works. It's not a happy ending, but it was always going to end like that for them.

Edited by Daniel Bryan
  • Like 3

Jaime has an addiction, that’s the best way to look at it.

His moment with Tyrion was beautiful too, it’s so overlooked.

I called Dany as the big bad ever since reading the books way back when - In the books she has a lust for death, perhaps she even is the god of death?

However, I can’t see her dying... I can see a fate worse than death. Her returning to be the beggar Queen.

The episode was really well directed. Not showing Dany at all once she starts burning the city to the ground was a great touch. As was the way they made it look like pure panic on the streets of King's Landing.

Cersei having the very building she has confined herself to for years fall on her was poetic. I liked that. She never deserved the dignity of a climatic death at Arya's hands, and Arya realizing that at the last moment was nice too.

Dany finally snapping was nice as well.

All of this was really good, except it's so jumbled with zero time to develop that it all feels like a mess. And it's really unfortunate. Because they're doing the right things with their characters but trusting the audience to fill in the part where they actually explain why they would act that way and why something would happen that way.

It all makes sense when you think of each episode this season as being 3-4 in previous seasons in term of time for character development. Well everything except for that random-ass Bronn scene which felt like some weird ribbing due to he and Lena Headey having a nasty breakup a few years back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Agree 100%. Character direction for the characters are great, but the pacing of everything is so off because it's a lame six episode season. Even if they had been able to do seven episodes like last season, I feel like they'd been able to flesh things out a little more. Oh well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Benji said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My favourite part about Euron being excited to be remembered as the man who killed Jamie is the fact he is the man who killed a dragon in the previous episode.

Vince McBenioff: The fans don't remember or care for what happened last week, dammit!

On 13/05/2019 at 07:38, Benji said:

Spoiler

Y'know, that would actually be quite the satisfying ending for The Game to me. Jon doesn't want the throne, Dany has gone mad, and Tyrion has always cared for the small folk.

Hmm

Here's how I think everything will play out.

Jon will have to reluctantly kill Dany, and thus, the one who least covets power, will have all the power thrust upon him.

Sansa and Jon will hug and then Jon will kiss her passionately. Sansa will tell Jon that he's like a brother to her and Jon will tell her incest is a-okay since he's really a Targaryen. They will then begin making love atop the corpse of Dany.

Arya will then walk in. After a moment of confusion, she will throw off her clothes and proclaim "fuck me your majesty" and join the two of them.

Tormund will walk in. Seeing another of his beloved choose to couple with another instead, he will fall down on all fours and begin to softly weep.

Brienne will then arrive. She will be carrying the corpse of Jamie. Seeing Tormund's soft and sensitive side, she will drop the corpse of Jamie and begin to make love to Tormund atop it. Tormund will groan and call Brienne his she bear.

Hearing the word bear, Jorah will come back from the dead and say "Yo J-Bear here, wassup?" Upon finding out that his beloved Khaleesi is dead, he will die again of sadness. No one will make love atop his corpse.

Yara will return to Kings Landing. Upon finding Jon is the new king she will ask if she can still rule the Iron Islands and Jon will agree. She'll tell Jon about the deal she made with Dany and Sansa will step in and tell her that raping and pillaging is a-okay and will make people stronger, just like her.

The Riverlands will be gifted to Davos. Jon doesn't like fresh water but prefers the smell of salt water and since Davos is the saltiest old bastard he knows, this seems only logical.

Brienne will become Lady Brienne of The Stormlands while Tormund becomes Warden Of The North. They will give Gendry a boat and allow him to row away. This time he won't return.

Bronn will get Casterly Rock, because Tyrion can never have anything nice. Poderik will get Highgardern and become Warden Of The West, because Bronn can never be the biggest badass at anytime and must live in perpetual frustration.

Dorne will fall under the control of a gigantic extraterrestrial subterranean worm, but no one will notice cause who knows what the fuck happened to Dorne anyway. Just try not to think about it.

The last shot of the show will be Jon lying down on the godswood, his eye slowly closing, as they reveal they were in purgatory the whole time.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Watching the Inside the Episode, I've come to realize that Benioff and Weiss are just two dudes who are full of shit that got lucky they got to be in charge of this. I've still got hope for the spin-off series as they aren't involved in it (hopefully), but I hope HBO doesn't just make them a bunch of these big moment bullshit anymore. What a trash bunch of episodes ever since "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms".

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Watching the Inside the Episode, I've come to realize that Benioff and Weiss are just two dudes who are full of shit that got lucky they got to be in charge of this. I've still got hope for the spin-off series as they aren't involved in it (hopefully), but I hope HBO doesn't just make them a bunch of these big moment bullshit anymore. What a trash bunch of episodes ever since "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms".

That was 100% my takeaway from the 'Inside the Episodes' bits. I felt like.." Shit, fans might not like this....lets justify everything so we seem #Deep'

I feel like the issue has been how fast they wanted to finish the show. Having two full last seasons might have at least given them time to tell the story they want to tell. I'm not mad at where we ended up with some of these characters, but I hate how quickly we've gotten there.