House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

As far as George R..R. Martin goes, bookwise I'm more of a fan of the Wild Cards anthology series that he's a co-editor of (though he can contributed several stories). Also read Nightflyers. But as far as GoT goes, I've only read the first book.

Martin is the Chris Claremont of fantasy. Taking fifteen words to say something that can be done in six. 

I love how daft that "I know a killer when I see one" line is from Arya. Proper stupid. Says it as though she's dropping some sage knowledge on Jon, like she's seen through some big facade of Daenerys' and is giving Jon some poignant, deep insight and reason to be wary, as if Daenerys hasn't literally just committed a war crime in the mass genocide of thousands of innocent people in full view of everyone. Thanks Arya. I'm sure they thought it'd be a cool line but it just comes off like she's stupidly pointing out the obvious.

Like saying "I know a gangster when I see one" about Al Capone.

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

After he's just killed someone torched half of Chicago over a debt.

On 21/05/2019 at 11:31, Arjen Robben said:

I kinda want to read the books but I really just cannot be arsed reading something that doesn’t have a conclusion and may never have.

Are 1-5 good to the point they’re still worth reading now even knowing you’re gonna hit that wall?

I'll give an alternate and say that the books are very readable - especially by fantasy standards - and worth going through.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2019 at 09:37, Liam Mk2 said:
  Hide contents

It’s almost as if these writers didn’t know what to do with these reveals. 

If Jon wasn’t revealed to be a Targaryen, nothing in the story would have really been different other than Vary’s demise. It’s daft.

Spoiler

It was a big part in Tyrion's speech convincing Jon to betray Denarys... "You are the true heir to the throne, what do you think she will do to you?"

8 hours ago, apsham said:

I'll give an alternate and say that the books are very readable - especially by fantasy standards - and worth going through.

GRRM's a weird one. He's quite clearly a genius in terms of plot devices and storytelling and character/world building, but his writing is downright god awful at times. He seems to be from the school of thought that "more is more" and definitely would have benefited from using a particularly harsh copy editor.

"It's YOUR DUTY to not sex up your blood family."

You know, after a week, I feel like as much shit as I've given this last few episodes, two small changes (or just one of the two) could have made it a lot better, and both involve the removal of lines.

Spoiler

One would have been Bran not smugly saying "why do you think I came?" or whatever the line was. Removing that makes it seem like he hasn't just been a sociopath allowing all these people to die. The second one would have been where he claimed to no longer be Bran, because at the very least him doing all this would have made sense because The Starks all wind up in places that make them happy. I'm not sure either would have made me happy with the ending, but they certainly would have made Bran being King a lot more paletable.

The alternative would have been doing the fucking obvious and having Bran be the one who deals with The Night King for that story, and have literally anyone else who could potentially take the throne do so.