House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I suspect we might not see much Ramsay until his death. Killing his father, Walda, and the baby was his last act before his inevitable demise. This week with Osha was boring, I guess necessarily. But, yeah, the battle to retake Winterfell isn't probably for another 3 or 4 episodes and I can't see him doing anything of note except maybe pissing off one of his more loyal families.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, damshow said:

Hide contents

I suspect we might not see much Ramsay until his death. Killing his father, Walda, and the baby was his last act before his inevitable demise. This week with Osha was boring, I guess necessarily. But, yeah, the battle to retake Winterfell isn't probably for another 3 or 4 episodes and I can't see him doing anything of note except maybe pissing off one of his more loyal families.

Spoiler

You really don't think he's going to be playing his "games" with Rickon at some point beforehand?

Spoiler

Ramsay is going to be around the showrunners love him and Ramsay is the product of the showrunners infatuation with making the show as "shocking" as they can. I thought Dany's ending there was very, very lame. Did they run out of money in the budget to have Drogon come rescue her and burn the Dothraki leaders instead? I would've bought the Dothraki bending the knee to her if Drogon saved the day. 

At this point, I think the best story they have going for them is the North. Jon and Sansa reuniting was amazing to see and they are beginning to move forward to the battle of winterfell which will not be disappointing. Also Bran's vision next week looks really cool in the sense we maybe learning about the history of the white walkers. I am 100% down with that.

Spoiler

Speaking about the scene, she told Entertainment Weekly: "I'd like to remind people the last time I took my clothes off was season 3. That was awhile ago. It's now season 6. But this is all me, all proud, all strong. I'm just feeling genuinely happy I said 'Yes.' There ain't no body double!" 

So, I'm guessing it looked CGI because of the fire?

Also I loved this episode. Everything is falling into place, the chess pieces are all being moved around and you can see the direction all of the characters are heading for the rest of the season. Didn't love Osha's death but that was because I like Osha, but Dani's story, everything in King's Landing and Tyrion taking massive but calculated risks is all brilliant

The North:

Spoiler

I imagine that since Ramsay disagreed to work with the others because of the Wildlings up North, that when the large Wildling army attacks they will just fall into line behind Jon Snow and Sansa Stark.

11 minutes ago, Alexis Sanchez said:

Hide contents

Just a note on the last scene. The crowd of people at the back of the burning building. Why were they bowing? How did they know what was going on...? :shifty:

Spoiler

Maybe they were just followers of the Lord of Light? :shifty:

• Like 2

Spoiler

Ending scene was awesome after last weeks episode, while good, was pretty boring I thought. Whoever mentioned the Dragon causing the fire would have been better, I disagree because there needs to be much more about Dany than 'has Dragons'

Great to see Littlefinger too (is this the first time he's appeared this series?).

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

I think the dragons would have ruined it to be honest. Her standing up to them as a lone "feeble" woman and freeing herself and the others by her own hand was sort of the entire point of the scene.

Spoiler

Definitely. This was totally about Dany totally masterminding her own escape, very much working against the damsel in distress, I mean she literally outsmarts the two people who have come to save her. I wasn't as taken with the last season -- there's just something about the series where the execution of stuff doesn't feel quite as seamless or, maybe, it feels like it's trying a bit harder. Still enjoying it a lot -- and hard to argue with how great that last image was. 

8 hours ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

Also, how great was it to see Margery with an extended scene again? I've really liked Natalie Dormer since I first saw her on The Tudors a few years back, and I feel like we've not seen nearly enough of her this season.

I'd certainly like to see more of her :pervert:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:
  Hide contents

Definitely. This was totally about Dany totally masterminding her own escape, very much working against the damsel in distress, I mean she literally outsmarts the two people who have come to save her. I wasn't as taken with the last season -- there's just something about the series where the execution of stuff doesn't feel quite as seamless or, maybe, it feels like it's trying a bit harder. Still enjoying it a lot -- and hard to argue with how great that last image was. 

Spoiler

I agree. It was a great scene and the image was great (though no matter what anyone says, the CGI was a bit rubbish) but this show has conditioned me to feel that the only interesting moments Dany has are few and far between. THAT'S why I'm not gonna fall into the "now Dany's story is fun again!" trap. I fully expect her story to plod some more until the next big event.

1 hour ago, metaLLman again said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I'm in the same boat, I think. It was a good moment, but Dany's story has generally been all about moments, and not a progressive arc that I've been engaged with for the rest of her screen time. To me, her journey has been the equivalent of Undertaker vs Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania.

That said, I thought this was a very good episode. For all we talk about how seeing the Starks getting pissed on is almost comical in its frustrating inevitability, it did make the Jon Snow/Sansa reunion scene more powerful, and that's a particularly creditable achievement when you consider that they never, to the best of my knowledge, even had a scene together before now. In a show in which feel-good moments are so few and far between, seeing the good guys share a touching moment was very welcome indeed.

Of course, this all probably means that the next gut-punching tragedy is on its way, but I'll enjoy a sense of optimism while I can.

• Like 1

Random thoughts on Dany:

You know, looking at her actions, I'm not entirely convinced the Targareyan crazy-gene passed her by. 

I mean, look at her actions: 

Almost enjoy's Viserys's execution 
Burns the witchLocks Xaro Xhoan Daxos in the vault, with her handmaiden

Screws over the Good Masters of Astapor (they had it coming but still)

Crucifies folks in Mereen after taking over. 

And now, burns every Khal alive almost gleefully. 

She's a Targaryean alright :shifty: . 

• Like 2

Spoiler

I'm not entirely convinced she won't be the final human "villain" for similar readons to be honest. With the White Walkers marching, I can see a battle for control/freedom of the kingdoms between her and Jon. I feel like that may also be why she's treading water a lot, because they're waiting on knowing their end date before going in on the madness proper.

13 minutes ago, Mick said:

Random thoughts on Dany:

Hide contents

You know, looking at her actions, I'm not entirely convinced the Targareyan crazy-gene passed her by. 

I mean, look at her actions: 

Almost enjoy's Viserys's execution 
Burns the witchLocks Xaro Xhoan Daxos in the vault, with her handmaiden

Screws over the Good Masters of Astapor (they had it coming but still)

Crucifies folks in Mereen after taking over. 

And now, burns every Khal alive almost gleefully. 

She's a Targaryean alright :shifty: . 

6 minutes ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

I'm not entirely convinced she won't be the final human "villain" for similar readons to be honest. With the White Walkers marching, I can see a battle for control/freedom of the kingdoms between her and Jon. I feel like that may also be why she's treading water a lot, because they're waiting on knowing their end date before going in on the madness proper.

I lover this theory and now I'm going to be really disappointed in two years when it doesn't turn out to be ture.

On 5/16/2016 at 18:33, metaLLman again said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I suppose there will be a scene or two, but I can't envision too much happening when an episode was just spent making it very clear he's fucked. It's one of those things where you know what's coming. If Rickon felt like a more significant character it would hold more gravity, but besides being the "other" Stark sibling there's not a lot to get behind for him unfortunately.

Editing...

16 hours ago, Alexis Sanchez said:

Hide contents

Just a note on the last scene. The crowd of people at the back of the burning building. Why were they bowing? How did they know what was going on...? :shifty:

Spoiler

flock1.jpg

Spoiler

I wanna say that I loved the episode and felt it was a step in the right direction. I think a lot of the characters that have been glossed over recently will get their time to shine. Also, I love the 6 or 7 season build up leading to Cersei getting the worst death. God, does she deserve it.