House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Re: Tyrion's Scenes

Spoiler

I can't remember where I read the quote, but regarding the complaints about the 'time wasting' scenes involving Tyrion and Bronn, it's been pointed out that as GoT is essentially about 'saving the world from destruction', you also have to see why the world is worth saving. It's through seeing people being happy, and interacting, and that there actually are real, complete people in the cast, that you want the world to be saved. Plus that Tyrion/Miss/GW scene was gold regardless.

• Like 7

I really hate what they've done with Arya this season. She's my favourite character and Maisie Williams has done a great job with the crap she's been handed, but even she can only make them so good. These last two episodes in particular were just ridiculously poorly thought out, and felt very rushed to get her from point a to point b, with some false drama for effect.

• Like 1

Arya is such an interesting story from a creative standpoint because so much of what's gone on with her since she left Westeros has felt like deliberate filler. In the books and the show. Like "we have to keep talking about you but you don't really matter until much later in the series". It's of zero consequence to the bigger plot, if anything she only marginally improved as a swordfighter and is more adept at slipping around unnoticed. And that's basically it. It's a very drawn-out way for Arya to carry out whatever big, important assassination she'll carry out.

It was said, somewhere before Feast of Crows came out, that most of the stuff between Storm of Swords and Winds of Winter was originally intended to be skipped by GRRM. And in a lot of ways you can see that most prominently with Arya.

• Like 1

Me personally, ADWD had the characters I was really into the first 3 books, so AFFC will always be ranked lowest for me. That being said, I do like the Riverlands in AFFC and the Iron Islands. Dorne I really did not care for until Doran's speech. 

A little over 24 hours until #BastardBowl. I heard this won't be an isolated episode that focuses on the battle for the whole hour, but I imagine it will get at least 30-40 mins of screentime. 

Spoiler

Read somewhere that we will see Mereen this week, where the Greyjoys arrive...Die Dany Die! (I wish)

I also imagine we will see what the rumors Cersei was talking about (wildfyre my guess). 

Edited by Alex.

On 29/05/2016 at 20:12, Alex. said:
  Hide contents

Everyone excited for the big Snowdown tonight?

If not, here is a little something to get you hype:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/RrwfGBb

Was Qyburns rumour thing not about them finally learning where Tyrion was and what he's up too?

i felt it was a fairly obvious nod when it cut straight to him in Mereen... Cersei finding out that not only is Tyrion alive but he is now council to Dany and running Mereen is basically her worst nightmare.

if anything is going to compound her misery and drive her to insanity, it's that information

Wonderful.

Goodbye, Ramsay. You were one of the best villains, but you had to go. And you needed a painful death. Justice!

Shame about Rickon, but not unexpected. I was expecting, though, one of Tormund or Davos to die...thankfully, they both made it through.

I'm also glad that Dany is teaming up with the Greyjoys. Finally, let's get you moving towards Westeros!

Spoiler

On the ASOIAF forums, the armchair commanders are out tonight.

"BAAAHHH JON IS AN IDIOT BAHALFKJDSF"

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I loved seeing the Bolton banner cut down and the Stark banner in Winterfell. The director of this episode who also did Hardhome, I wish he directed every episode. Not cause he does battle scenes well. but the pacing is just right. 

couple things I liked:

Spoiler

Davos and the stag.

Yara hitting on Dany. GET IT, GIRL.

overall a lot of the staging of the fight and the way it played out. Would have been even better if it had been, like, Roose Bolton or Walder Frey or any other villain I found captivating at all.

Wun Wun :(

• Like 1

Fantastic episode. Paced perfectly. The whole bit where The Vale shows up was predictable from the get go but was made very fulfilling by the buildup to it.

Ramsay's death was splendid.

Echoing the whole bit with Davos and the stag.

They pretty much made me believe wildfyre is buried all throughout King's Landing and Cersei is heavily considering torching everyone who stands in her way.

Supposing next episode Daenerys begins her journey to the Iron Islands, and her march through a ravaged Westeros will cover much of season 7. Interested to see what gets wrapped up next week and what doesn't.

• Like 2

While it worked out great for the Starks, there's one larger problem here, and it's the fact that Littlefinger bailed their ass out. It seems like everything he's worked for has now just gone to shit. The Crown won't be too happy that he helped put, legally speaking, a traitor and someone involved in a conspiracy to commit regicide, especially after they gave him Harrenhal and the Riverlands. 

Three of the Seven Kingdoms, now allies; Dorne not giving a fuck any more, and the Iron Islands about to deal with a very serious problem.