House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Cersei is pretty dull on her own in Kings Landing. In previous seasons we've had others with her which has made it more interesting but her just doing as she pleases unopposed (pretty much) doesn't make for entertaining TV.

• Like 1

Yeah the Cersei storyline is completely stupid. They've almost removed her entire motivation to hate her and brilliant plan to entrap and remove Margaery Tyrell and dumbed it down to "Loras is gay and coincidentally there's a rent boy who knows Margaery knows and his flimsy word is enough to imprision the goddamn Queen".

Forgot to mention Bronn and Jaime too, what a completely stupid sequence that was. No way could they have accessed Myrcella and Trystan like that if Jaime Lannister sans his sword ever did engage the Sand Snakes in battle he'd be torn to shreds in seconds.

I have a bad feeling the show and characters is going to go rapidly downhill now that they're making shit up.

Also future book spoilers for Jon

I assume with the dumbing down of the stories, there's no Val or Alys Karstark, Mance is really dead and they're just making up a new plot with him going beyond the wall with Tormund?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they work with George R. R. Martin on their plot points without the books? I'm sure I read that - in which case, I wouldn't quite go as far as "making shit up" when it's approved by the writer/creator.

• Like 2

Yeah the Cersei storyline is completely stupid. They've almost removed her entire motivation to hate her and brilliant plan to entrap and remove Margaery Tyrell and dumbed it down to "Loras is gay and coincidentally there's a rent boy who knows Margaery knows and his flimsy word is enough to imprision the goddamn Queen".

Forgot to mention Bronn and Jaime too, what a completely stupid sequence that was. No way could they have accessed Myrcella and Trystan like that if Jaime Lannister sans his sword ever did engage the Sand Snakes in battle he'd be torn to shreds in seconds.

I have a bad feeling the show and characters is going to go rapidly downhill now that they're making shit up.

Also future book spoilers for Jon

I assume with the dumbing down of the stories, there's no Val or Alys Karstark, Mance is really dead and they're just making up a new plot with him going beyond the wall with Tormund?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they work with George R. R. Martin on their plot points without the books? I'm sure I read that - in which case, I wouldn't quite go as far as "making shit up" when it's approved by the writer/creator.

I'm sure they did collaborate with him. But for the most part they've stuck to the books plot and direciton with a few minor tweaks for television. George RR Martin's approval or not Jaime and Bronn's adventure to Dorne is seems like making shit up and kinda skewing a lot of future plot points in the wrong direction. It also makes the Martells and Arianne in particular kinda pointless. What Jaime did was stupid and could by right cost him is life and justify bringing the whole country to all out war.

I've long been tempted to read ahead of the point at which the shows have reached, but with all the negativity being spread among readers of the book regarding the show's deviation from its source material, I'm glad I haven't. I'm not blaming the readers for their views as I'm sure many of them are perfectly reasonable, but I'm the sort of person who finds it difficult to accept differences between the images I've conjured up in my mind and their on-screen counterparts. It's for that reason that I never managed to get into the Dexter series, having previously read the books on which they were based.

I'm still enjoying Game of Thrones as a television show, and having nothing to compare it with is much more liberating to me than having my expectations challenged. I've read A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings after watching the first two series, and I felt that they complemented my viewing experience, but I can imagine that doing things the other way round would have been less satisfactory. I'm not saying I'm doing things the "right" way, but it works for me.

Jamie's motivations are fine. My believes his daughter is being held as a hostage by the Martells. They sent Cersei Myrcella's pendant between a set of fangs as a threat.

• Like 1

Cersei is jealous of Margaery's influence over Tommen and the fact that Cersei is no longer the Queen, having been replaced by a younger, prettier, more popular Queen. Also her default mode to anyone who isn't a Lannister is comtemptible hatred anyway.

This. I don't get the "Cersai is mean to the Tyrells for no reason" argument. I think for her character it makes perfect sense to act the way she does at lest the way they portrayed her on the show this far. Yes, her reasons to wage war against the Tyrells are petty and someone like Tywinn would've scolded her for acting like she does. But they did establish her as a spiteful, jealous and most importantly shortsighted character from the very beginning. Only back then Tywinn was still around to scold her and rectify the mistakes she made. Now he is dead and she still is none the wiser.

What really bothered me about the episode was what happened in Dorne. What the hell was that? Did they really think that going into the gardens in broad daylight, when there probably are more guards around than usual because Doran knows that Elaria and the sandsnakes are up to something, and just run away with the Lannister girl would work? I get that Jamie is a man of action who is sometimes prone to act impulsively but even he isn't stupid enough to think this plan would possibly work. And even if he were that heady I think Bronn would set him straight. And the sandsnakes are supposed to be nearly as dangerous as Oberyin himself yet here they just come off as impetuous teenagers (which I suppose they are but when they introduced them they presented them as trained killing machines). And what was up with that fight? This is by far the worst fight scene they ever did. It looked sooo amateurish. Like something out of these old Hercules or Xena shows or Mystic Knights if anyone besides me remembers that. It was badly choreographed and made everyone involved look bad. Especially the sandsnakes.

That was the only episode I didn't enjoy so far purely based on the scene in Dorne.

Dorne has been a bust for me. Would much rather have had the Iron Islands.

Potential spoilers, it's a rumour I've heard but have no confirmation for.

Apparently Yara (Theon's sister) and Balon are set to make appearances somewhere in these last few episodes, so I'm holding out hope that we still get them!

• Like 1

Once again though, Diana Rigg is killing it. She had some many good lines in this episode, and the looks she was giving Cersei was amazing. It is probably the conflict I'm most looking forward to seeing resolved.

• Like 1

And what was up with that fight? This is by far the worst fight scene they ever did. It looked sooo amateurish. Like something out of these old Hercules or Xena shows or Mystic Knights if anyone besides me remembers that. It was badly choreographed and made everyone involved look bad. Especially the sandsnakes.

Dunno what you're talking about bro...

UPcmC7b.gif

• Like 5

Did anyone else notice that Bronn got cut in the fight. That's him dead right?

That is my guess as well. Even if he doesn't die it has to mean something. They wouldn't have gone out of their way to show is how he got cut if it didn't. He was cut by a spear and Oberyn "killed" the Mountain with a poisoned spear. The sandsnakes are his daughters and supposed to be deadly assasins (although the fight scene didn't reflect that) so I assume they use poisoned blades as well.

That is my guess as well. Even if he doesn't die it has to mean something. They wouldn't have gone out of their way to show is how he got cut if it didn't. He was cut by a spear and Oberyn "killed" the Mountain with a poisoned spear. The sandsnakes are his daughters and supposed to be deadly assasins (although the fight scene didn't reflect that) so I assume they use poisoned blades as well.

In my mind? He's totes dead. Which is sucky :(

Likely a potential future spoiler.

There's proof from Tyene's audition details which leaked ages ago that she seems to give him the antidote. Video got deleted from the site I saw but there is a transcript.

What??? :( I hate this show!!!

I think his days are numbered as well.