House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

I don't see how it's a paradox, it follows Novikov's self consistency principle.

Bran can visit moments in the past via the roots of weirwood trees. His influencing of the events aren't changing things or causing paradoxes, these moments happened as they did in the past as time. Bran's feint presence at the TOJ was how it happened and he always emotionally damaged Wylis in his youth, using his abilities to transmit the 'hold the door' message.

Time is a closed curve and Bran cannot change the past. Everything that will happen has already happened, 'destiny' is moot and Bran can use the weirwood trees to visit these moments and exert the influence he already did.

• Like 1

I'm with Benji on this. In a world where there be dragons, people come back to life, black magic, Tormund trying it on with Briene, immunity to fire and that weird shit with the guy changing his face, are we really going to draw the line at messing about with timelines? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MDK said:

I'm with Benji on this. In a world where there be dragons, people come back to life, black magic, Tormund trying it on with Briene, immunity to fire and that weird shit with the guy changing his face, are we really going to draw the line at messing about with timelines? 

That's a complete cop-out though. Fantasy plots still need to have fleshed out characters, well structured plots and firmly established universe rules.

This isn't an example of bad storytelling because it makes sense and GRRM is a fantastic story teller. At it's heart, GOT is a character driven drama, you don't get a pass from good storytelling because you operate in a fantasy world.

8 minutes ago, TCO said:

That's a complete cop-out though. Fantasy plots still need to have fleshed out characters, well structured plots and firmly established universe rules.

This isn't an example of bad storytelling because it makes sense and GRRM is a fantastic story teller. At it's heart, GOT is a character driven drama, you don't get a pass from good storytelling because you operate in a fantasy world.

I challenge you to a duel

Boy, you guys are going to be disappointed when you find out I'm warging into you and making EWB my own personal toy :shifty: . 

Why does Hodor have to be Honor in order to get Bran to where he is going? You think in the previous timeline Bran went to Wyllis and said "I need someone to accompany me on my epic quest" and the dude said "aw man, I dunno. I had a busy day of shovelling horseshit planned."

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Why does Hodor have to be Honor in order to get Bran to where he is going? You think in the previous timeline Bran went to Wyllis and said "I need someone to accompany me on my epic quest" and the dude said "aw man, I dunno. I had a busy day of shovelling horseshit planned."

In the original timeline Bran was accompanied by the rest of the Starks since it was their summer vacation and there were no White Walkers. Basically Bran fucked everything up.

• Like 1

Well, technically Bran started this whole thing. He was told to stop climbing, but he disobeyed. As a result he saw something he shouldn't have seen and caused a war. Fuck him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

But what about the fire god?

The Lord of Light wants his enemies burnt. The Drowned God wants his enemies drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious cunts? Where is the God of tits and wine?

• Like 11

Spoilers from Episoide 5

Spoiler

Some more thought about Pyke:

-Did it bother anyone else how easy the Ironborn were swayed by Euron during the kingsmoot? They all seemed to stand behind Yara. Then Euron appears out of nowhere, delivers a pretty weak speech that basically amounted to reminding everyone that Yara is a woman and that Theon has no penis and revealing his foolhardy plan of wooing Dany with his fleet and suddenly everyone is on his side? And Yara doesn't even try to argue against his bullshit? Why would anyone support him? I don't get it.

-So Yara somehow doesn't have enough loyalists to win the kingsmoot but enough to steel a whole fleet? And how does the kingsmoot work anyway? They did a poor job of setting the thing up.

-What was the time line of the kingsmoot and Euron's coronation ritual? It didn't seem like much time had past between the two events and one would think that someone would notice that Yara, Theon and their loyalists had slipped away. And if more time passed between kingsmoot and coronation why did Euron give them he chance to flee? And how come nobody stopped them from stealing the fleet? That looked WAY to easy given and how important shipping is to their coulture one would think they made preparations to prevent something like this from happening. How come Euron didn't expect something like this? He looked like a complete fool!

-So he wants them to build him a thousand ships? I know he was probably just being hyperbolic but it still is stupid. You can't build a fleet over night and from what I gathered the Iron Islands aren't rich in natural resources, hence all the raids they do. So how does he expect them to do it?

I know I'm being very nitpicky here but in my opinion they did a poor job with this subplot so far.