House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

13 hours ago, Benji said:

By that logic Cersei and Jamie started it by shagging one another and having a kid. And Tywin caused it by marrying Cersei off to Robert Baratheon. And Robert Baratheon caused it by usurping the throne. Etc etc :P

See, that is where you are wrong - I've put some thought into this.

Imagine Jamie and Cersei on a road. They hit a fork. Down one, no incest, that doesn't lead to this war. Down the second, incest, but that doesn't necessarily lead to the war either, because if they are not seen by Bran there wouldn't have been a war.

Bran had his own fork, climb or no climb, he chose climb and saw the Lannisters as a result.

Now Jamie has two options - push Bran to cover things up, or let the kid out him and his sister. Either of those roads would lead to a war.

It is Bran deciding to climb that set the whole thing in motion. Once he saw Jamie and Cersei there was no way to avoid war.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walker said:

Imagine Jamie and Cersei on a road. They hit a fork. Down one, no incest, that doesn't lead to this war. Down the second, incest, but that doesn't necessarily lead to the war either, because if they are not seen by Bran there wouldn't have been a war.

Bran had his own fork, climb or no climb, he chose climb and saw the Lannisters as a result.

Now Jamie has two options - push Bran to cover things up, or let the kid out him and his sister. Either of those roads would lead to a war.

It is Bran deciding to climb that set the whole thing in motion. Once he saw Jamie and Cersei there was no way to avoid war.

Sorry, I don't listen to walkers :@

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walker said:

Well, not quite, because they wouldn't even have been in Winterfell to get caught by Bran if Robert hadn't visited to appoint Ned as Hand of the King, which wouldn't have happened if Jon Arryn hadn't been murdered; both of which have their own set of forks.

If Jon Arryn lives, he either doesn't find out about the incest and nothing happens, or he does put it all together and he reveals it. Then with the secret out and Robert alive, we're at a completely different scenario altogether.

If Jon Arryn dies as he does in the books, then a new Hand of the King is required. Rather than Ned, he could appoint one of his brothers. Either of the Baratheon's could have acted in completely different fashion to Ned, who was too honorable for his own good.

The books/show play out as they do because of Jon Arryn's death and the subsequent choice of HOTK, that's why it's the entire focus of the start of the series.

Forget to mention. So they've completely written Victarion out of the Iron Islands arc? He's pretty important to explaining why Euron is such a dick and why he was banished in the first place.

3 minutes ago, TCO said:

Forget to mention. So they've completely written Victarion out of the Iron Islands arc? He's pretty important to explaining why Euron is such a dick and why he was banished in the first place.

I believe so. Have they actually mentioned being banished in the show? I thought he just went gallivanting.

Shame.

They're diluting the Iron Born just like they did with Dorne, writing out characters and skipping plot points that leaves a void in the whole thing. Euron sucks too. He's supposed to be a power hungry treasure rich pirate on hallucinogenics, with a genuine grudge and interesting background. They've Victarion and stripped one major thing from his plan with Daenerys too that makes his plan in the show stupid. Plus there's no badass eyepatch! His character has been watered down to "I'm man, I want ships and to fuck sexy dragon woman!" 

Basically: no Victarion, no party. :(

3 hours ago, Jericode said:

I believe so. Have they actually mentioned being banished in the show? I thought he just went gallivanting.

I don't think they talked much about Euron at all. Maybe mentioned him in passing once or twice.

29 minutes ago, TCO said:

Shame.

They're diluting the Iron Born just like they did with Dorne, writing out characters and skipping plot points that leaves a void in the whole thing. Euron sucks too. He's supposed to be a power hungry treasure rich pirate on hallucinogenics, with a genuine grudge and interesting background. They've Victarion and stripped one major thing from his plan with Daenerys too that makes his plan in the show stupid. Plus there's no badass eyepatch! His character has been watered down to "I'm man, I want ships and to fuck sexy dragon woman!" 

Shame. Even without having read the books you can tell that they fucked him up. Nothing about what happened in Pyke last episode made any sense.

4 hours ago, TCO said:

"I'm man, I want ships and to fuck sexy dragon woman!" 

This is going on my gravestone.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jericode said:

Literally Victarion :lol: 

Book Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

In the books he sends Vic to woo her on his behalf whilst he raids the Reach.

That's not what I was talking about!

Book spoilers (they may still do it in the show, but I doubt it)

Spoiler

Euron picked up a dragon horn (Dragonbinder) in the ruins of Valyria after he was banished. This dragon horn is said to be able to tame dragons when played in their presence. He pulls this out during the Kingsmoot and has one of his men play it. This silences everyone and his plan to take Daenerys as his wife and tame her dragons using this horn, ensures he wins the kingsmoot. His man that plays the horn, later dies as a result of playing it after being burned touching it, with soot in his longs.

Euron sends Victarion to Meereen with the horn to take Daenerys as his bride, despite Victarion hating him with every fibre in his body. The Winds of Winter ends with shortly after Daenerys flies off on Drogon. Ser Barristan (still alive in book) is leading in Daenerys absence and is bracing himself for the 2nd Siege of Meereen by the Yunaki camped outside. Ser Jorah and Tyrion never meet Daenerys in the pit, they're still outside the city by the way.

Victarion, Dragonbinder and the Iron Fleet arrive in Meereen simultaneously and shit is about to go down! 

So yeah, the more I think about it the books are almost a different story now.

Edited by TCO
  • Like 1

Yeah taking Victarion out of the Ironborn storyline isn't a crime but taking all of Euron's motivations are. He just sounds like a caricature of a power-hungry guy in the show, when in the book he's power-hungry because he's sort of fucking crazy and not in a "making penis jokes" kind of way.

They don't want to spend the time elaborating on everything with the Ironborn, but it sort of serves as a giveaway that they're just monster of the week types than lasting, important characters.

• Like 1

To be fair there's no reason why they couldn't bring the horn story in a bit later than in the books. Like someone questions his judgement/position, and he goes "bitch please check this out", and bam, everyone starts taking him even more seriously. 

Isn't it a good thing that the show and the books are diverging? Would anyone really want to read 500 pages of something they saw on TV two years previous?

• Like 5