House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

My hope is that was the spur and as more stuff gets pulled from Winds of Winter rather than the other books, she'll do more. I feel like a lot of book!Dany's plots don't work as well in the show because - as I said before - they had to age her up, for obvious reasons. Now that the show's pulling a lot from Winds of Winter and slowly reaching the end game for the whole thing, surely Martin's written her as being more proactive than he has in the past few books, where it's "sit in Mereen and learn to rule" or "get kidnapped". Now that she has the might of not just a single khalasar but the entire Dothraki people behind her, hopefully she'll be able to do more. I guess we just have to sit on our hands and wait for Certain People to show up across the Narrow Sea like they keep saying they'll do (and which probably won't happen until next season anyway, given recent developments).

6 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Stannis was a chumpstain, book or otherwise. He got his nice little Crowning Moment Of Badass in, and then coasted on that throughout the rest of the book and the show. But hey, he did a single neat thing so let's line up for a blowjob party!

I disagree, everyone is allowed to their opinion, but hey apparently if you are a fan of him in the books, you are on line to the blowjob party. :rolleyes:

Yeah Stannis was never this ultimate badass in the books, he was a really interesting character and had his moment of triumph which is more than most characters seem to get.

Book characters who have been neutered by the show are Jaime (that might be changing with him leaving King's Landing), Bran (shit actor), Euron so far, and everything Dorne due to the lack of Arianne. 

Book characters improved by the show are High Sparrow (the benefits of a good actor), Margarey (same), and Ramsay (he doesn't come across as calculating in the books).

I always thought of Stannis as a stoic commander who made for some entertaining pieces of dialogue, but not as someone who stood out as a decent candidate for the monarchy. For someone who was quite easily convinced by a religious zealot to burn members of his family to death for failing to convert to his new faith (and this was before he had Shireen sacrificed), I couldn't really see why so many people were rooting for him to become supreme ruler.

9 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I always thought of Stannis as a stoic commander who made for some entertaining pieces of dialogue, but not as someone who stood out as a decent candidate for the monarchy. For someone who was quite easily convinced by a religious zealot to burn members of his family to death for failing to convert to his new faith (and this was before he had Shireen sacrificed), I couldn't really see why so many people were rooting for him to become supreme ruler.

He was a stoic badass in the series (at least that is how I saw him) and throughout most of Seasons 4 and 5 they downplayed the religious zealot aspect of his character which helped a lot. He also has the air of authority about him which someone like Rob Stark didn't have in my opinion. I don't think that qualifies him to rule but it made people warm up to him.

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

He was a stoic badass in the series (at least that is how I saw him) and throughout most of Seasons 4 and 5 they downplayed the religious zealot aspect of his character which helped a lot. He also has the air of authority about him which someone like Rob Stark didn't have in my opinion. I don't think that qualifies him to rule but it made people warm up to him.

I loved Stannis simply because he would correct others grammar. Always found that so funny.

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Well in the book for example, he hasn't burned his daughter. In fact, in a chapter of the new book, he is telling his men if he should fall, they will fight to place his daughter on the throne. I think the actor who played Stannis did a great job, but the creators of the show totally got the character wrong. 

Oh and try and tell me this is not bad ass :P (excerpt from the new book) :

Spoiler

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

But hey, everyone has their opinion of characters and thats totally fine. I don't like Dany at all (books I can tolerate her, the show I really cannot). 

Also to add on, the show has done well for other character I found like Bronn.

Double post 

Spoiler

Better episode this week than last week. Lyanna Mormont 4 Prez? Was disappointed with the Glovers and I guess no Manderlys, grrr. However, the HOUND~! Was a lil disappointed we did not get the Broken Man speech, but the HOUND~! being back is awesome. Blackfish is back, and boy did I miss him. This was the first episode in awhile I like where Jaime was heading, but then the preview shows him saying how much he loves Cersei, gahhh just keeps going back 5 steps. 

Kings Landing i still dont care about. Iron Islands eh. Nothing to complain about there. Arya story just needs to wrap up and get her on that ship to Westeros. Battle of the Bastards is coming and Cleganebowl..that is what im talkin' bout.

and welcome back brotherhood without banners. you killed ian mcshane, you bastards

Can we get a Lyanna Mormont spinoff where we just see her daily life on Bear Island?

Also, when we had that scene before the opening credits I was really confused and then I saw one man carrying a log and I immediately boarded the hype train with non-stop service to the Cleganebowl! IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING YA'LL!!!

This episode set the table for a lot of shit that's about to go down and it's gonna be fun to watch. Margaery is playing King's Landing like a fiddle, can't wait to see if it blows up in her face.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I don't know how to feel about the Waif or whatever that girl is called simply stabbing her from behind. I expected a fight where Arya uses her abillity to fight in the dark to her advantage. And I'm disappointed that Arya was careless enough to let herself get blindsided like that. She must have known that the Faceless would come for her and she also has seen firsthand how they do it. So why wasn't she more careful? I don't she she will die do but I have no idea who will patch her up. And I'm afraid that the authors of the show will try to pull some stupid plot-twist where it turns out that the waif was the one being tested or some shit like that.

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

I have another idea

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That's my thinking too. I can't imagine that she doesn't have some sort of smoke and mirrors routine up her sleeve. If not, that would be a real waste of slow build-up and training montages.